Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Trigeminal Rub System. Actually 2.0, but who's counting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Trigeminal Rub System. Actually 2.0, but who's counting?

So I made a big batch, but realized I needed to scale it down. The scaled down version in (parentheses) I think is 1/8 of the original, or close to it.

1. Dry Brine 2. Rub 3. Light sprinkling of Coarse Black Pepper on at least one side if one likes a little more black pepper. Made for briskets, could be a little strong for ribs.

Black Pepper Table Grind 3 Cups (6 Tablespoons)
    White Sugar 3 Cups (6 Tablespoons)

Onion Powder 2.5 Cups (5 Tablespoons)
    Granulated Garlic 2.5 Cups (5 Tablespoons)

Brown Sugar 2 Cups (4 Tablespoons)

Mustard Powder 1.3 Cups (2.6 Tablespoons)
    Allspice 1.3 Cups (2.6 Tablespoons)
    Lemon Pepper 1.3 Cups (2.6 Tablespoons)
    Cayenne Pepper or Chipotle 1.3 Cups (2.6 Tablespoons)

Chili Powder, Dark 1 Cup (2 Tablespoons)

Paprika 0.5 Cups (1 Tablespoon)

Cumin .33 Cups (2 teaspoons)

This was 6 briskets I sliced up and served for 75-80 peeples using the 1.0 version of this that was slightly different.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Trifecta.jpg Views:	557 Size:	101.6 KB ID:	560201

I have tried Jerod’s rub and it is a winner. I put it right up there with Black Ops for brisket. Follow his directions for use and you can’t go wrong. Use as shown first time before considering tweeking. My wife doesn’t like real spicy food or too much pepper, and enjoyed Trifecta. My rub shelf now consists of Montreal, Memphis Dust, BBBR, Trifecta, Black Ops, and John Henry Pecan Rub. Thanks Jerod for sharing.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      [Wails uncontrollably that HRR didn't make the cut]

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      I really like Black Ops. Will have to try this.

Bookmarked to try. Thanks.

Comment

I have used BBBR in the past. I am going to give Trifecta a shot next - looks good! Thanks Jerod!

Comment

Thanks! especially for the downsizing.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Yah, that was a pain in the rear since I barely made Bee's in English.

I like the sound of this! No llama extract , but I'm sure it delivers loads of flavor!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          When the peasants make rubs they have to go with what they really have, no expensive trips to exotic places to collect exotic extracts.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol!

How long do you usually dry brine for?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          I like about 48 hours, if some pretty crappy Select I will go three whole days.

• Mgils24
          Mgils24 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds good. Thanks

Thanks for sharing this!

Comment

That looks amazing! I will have to try your method/recipe next time I do brisket.

Comment

I just did a brisket, and still have leftovers. I may beta test this on some chuckies, before the next brisket or two.

Comment

Because I'm a total geek, I did a slightly different scaling. Those tenths of tablespoons were messing me up.
              This one isn't an exact scaling, but ought to be close enough. It's approximately half of Jerod's scaled version, and I don't have to eyeball fractions of measuring spoons.

3 tbsp Black Pepper Table Grind
              3 tbsp White Sugar

2½ tbsp (7½ tsp) Onion Powder
              2½ tbsp (7½ tsp) Granulated Garlic

2 tbsp Brown Sugar

4 tsp Mustard powder
              4 tsp Allspice
              4 tsp Lemon Pepper
              4 tsp Cayenne/Chipotle

1 tbsp Chili Powder

1½ tsp Paprika

1 tsp Cumin
              Last edited by tdimond; October 14, 2018, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• jlazar
                jlazar commented
                Editing a comment
                Believe you left the mustard powder off the list. 4tsp?

• tdimond
                tdimond commented
                Editing a comment
                Good catch. Yes. I'll edit.

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                Good break down. Got it in my Keep App for a quickie rub. I need to revamp, my big stash is out.

I was assembling this rub today and didn’t seem to have any lemon pepper. Apparently, my wife doesn’t buy it because it has a bunch of other things in it. So, today I made my own. My question: What brand of lemon pepper do you use? It’s not something I seem to use often.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                Wolly world Great Value, Never had any either until this rub.

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Whatever the brand is that Costco sells .... is great on those boneless, skinless chicken breasts that girls seem to like.

This sounds pretty darned tasty Jerod Broussard . This will be going in the memory bank for the next big beef cook. I will probably test this on a chuckie before smoking up some beef ribs. Thank you for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by Craigar View Post
                This sounds pretty darned tasty Jerod Broussard . This will be going in the memory bank for the next big beef cook. I will probably test this on a chuckie before smoking up some beef ribs. Thank you for sharing!
                Whoa!!! Hold the phone there cowboy! Am I reading this correctly? 1.3 cups of cayenne or chipotle? Damn, son that will definitely numb the taste buds. I how much of a lingering effect does all that cayenne have after a long smoke? With the cayenne I use, I normally have to cut the recipe in half as this stuff is pretty potent and has reinforced why I don't buy spices from the grocery store. Alright, I will toss it all together this weekend and then at the end slowly add cayenne to taste. One more question Jerod Broussard and then I will leave you in peace...how much spicy heat do you like taste?

A.) Enough to wake up your taste buds
                B.) You have to wash it down with a Coke after three bites
                C.) A Coke after every bite and you start to get the head sweats, or
                D.) A signed waiver is needed before commencing to chow down

Everyone's taste buds are a little different, so I am trying to get a little perspective on what you are shooting for when it comes to the spicy heat. Sorry to be a pain.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Comment

• jlazar
                  jlazar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have used it on brisket and would put it in the A category (heat and quality of rub). Keep in mind, brisket is thick and this is just on the outside. Something like a chuck where you might get more penetration and end up pulling it might be spicier. I plan to try on pork butt and ribs soon but will not put on heavy. Your amount of pepper can also impact the heat quite a bit.

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  I laid a good bit on ribs and the heat didn't even make my nose run.

Perfect timing! I just pulled out of the fridge my very first 30 day wet aged brisket. It was soo floppy that I'm really excited. Thanks for that tip! I've separated the point and flat and will use your rub Saturday on the point.

I'm corning the flat for pastrami next week. Quick question. When you cook pastrami on the PBC do you wrap after the bark is set - just like a regular brisket - or will that cause the pastrami rub to fall off?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  Real bark goes nowhere.

• JCBBQ
                  JCBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Got it!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here