Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z-Grills Pellet Smoker: Brisket Doesn't Get Black on the Outside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Grills Pellet Smoker: Brisket Doesn't Get Black on the Outside

Hello, everyone! Long time no see! I have a new Z-Grills smoker (Traeger knockoff) and it's so amazing. I love it so much and am glad to no longer be wrestling with charcoal (I'm just too lazy).

Anyway, I've been so impressed with this smoker and everything tastes delicious! However, I've noticed that I never get that black bark on the outside of my briskets. It's decent bark and there's a beautiful smoke ring. But it just gets this beautiful rich amber color.

Being used to a charcoal smoker, this is really unusual to me. But maybe it's normal? I've seen videos of people with similar smokers and their briskets are black.

I'm smoking at 225 and cooking to 202 F. So, it's not like it's in there for a short time or anything.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks! Hope you're eating a lot of great BBQ this summer (since we can't really do much else!)

What are your seasonings? That can have an effect.

Comment

Actually, I'm using Meathead's Big Bad Beef rub. I always used the same one on the charcoal smoker.

Comment

You might try Jerods trifecta rub....

So I made a big batch, but realized I needed to scale it down. The scaled down version in (parentheses) I think is 1/8 of the original, or close to it. :) This is a system; 1. Dry

But really, if it tastes good, I don't care what color bark is.
        Last edited by BFlynn; July 25, 2020, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Maybe I shouldn't worry about it....? I'm just trying to decide whether or not to feel inadequate....LOL

Comment

Try Oakidge BBQ Carne Crosta. I have used it on briskets on my Yoder and they look like meteorites when they are done.
            https://www.atbbq.com/sauces-and-rub...house-rub.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	886397

Comment

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              Smoking77 I have used that and like it very much also.

• Bkhuna
              Bkhuna commented
              Editing a comment
              That is tasty stuff.

• MTurney
              MTurney commented
              Editing a comment
              GirlpoweredBBQ I completely agree with ofelles. If you’re going after bark then Carne Crosta is the way to go. I tried it on a rack of plate ribs a few months ago and have been hooked ever since. Glad you like the new pit!

That's what I'm looking for, ofelles ! What smoker are you cooking on? I'm gonna post a pic in about 30 minutes. It looks gorgeous. It's just not meteoric. That rub sounds outstanding!
            Last edited by GirlpoweredBBQ; July 25, 2020, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              That one was done in my Yoder YS640. Yes it is a tasty rub with coffee in it . I have used it on briskets, Tri tips, and rib eyes. All came out looking and tasting good. Troutman recommended it to me.
              I have done a few butts in my cabinet using Hank's Royal and gotten similar results.

This time it came out darker... And I'm not even sure why! It was pretty beautiful. Throwing in a bonus ribs pic.
            Attached Files

Comment

Are wrapping? If so, foil or paper and at what temp?

Comment

OMG. How you doing? I, we’ve missed you Briana.
                So glad you’re back. 👊👊
                ❤️
                Last edited by Steve B; July 25, 2020, 11:06 PM.

Comment

SteveB !!!! Hello! All is well. I moved to the beach and now I have a new smoker. I mean, what else are we gonna do with the time?

How are you? ☺️

Comment

• Steve B
                    Steve B commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’m great. I think 🤔😁
                    Glad to hear you’re well. And living by the beach. Sooo jealous.
                    Still got your kettle? Ya gotta show it some love now and than. 🥰😂

Red Man I did not wrap this one. I tried wrapping the last one in butcher paper at about 170 F. It came out well. This time I didn't wrap, in pursuit of firmer bark. Also this time I dry brined. Not sure if I will do that again.

Comment

Not wrapping will definitely help with darker, harder bark. Are you using a water pan? Spritzing?

Comment

No water pan Red Man. Not spritzing. Steve B , I haven't. I am so lazy about that, because it takes so much care and feeding and cleanup! My kid wants my WSM. I shall not be giving him the kettle, tho. Gotta keep it and the Slow N Sear for the apocalypse, when there's no propane or electricity!

What have you been cooking this summer?
                      Last edited by GirlpoweredBBQ; July 26, 2020, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Well it sounds you’re doing everything you can to get more bark. Must just be the cooker.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here