Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Trip Down Porter Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Trip Down Porter Road

A little over a year ago I was on a big, beefy dino rib kick. I found the largest plates I could find on Porter Road and ordered one only to be told they were temporarily out of stock. It gave me the option to get on their waiting list so I did. After a couple of weeks I again tried to order not having heard anything and got the same message. Again I went on the list and again nothing. Not to be deterred I called them to ask what was going on and they explained that they only had limited quantities and they sell out quickly.

Well I ordered a couple of plates right then and there. I slow smoked the first plate and although it had a lot of fat content, it turned out pretty spectacular. Here's the write up of that cook if interested.....Dino Ribs.

Following that I subsequently smoked the other plate maybe a month or two later. Unfortunately that plate was extremely fatty. As you get further back in the rib section of the cow, the muscles around ribs 9-12 are basically in two muscle groups with layers of fat in between nearly as thick as the muscles. When cooked they tend to want to separate, are difficult to cut and you end up having to remove a lot of that intramuscular fat. As a result I called to complain and they were very nice and offered to refund my purchase price. They did explain they were having problems with fat content on those rib plates.

About a month or so ago I got an email from them offering to send me a plate of the new smaller rib section cut they were about to re-introduce. Of course I said sure I'd love to. As such I got a plate that I assume was probably from the rib sections closer to the front of the cow, around ribs 5-7, which has less fat in between the muscle groups.

At the same time I also decided to purchase one of their pork briskets, or pigsket as they are refereed to. It's basically a boutique cut of the pig's front pectoral which is lean but a tough working muscle. We've had a couple of these cooked over the holiday weekend from our other members with favorable reports. They only real problems with the cut is the price (about $20/pound) and the size (mine was about 1.5 pounds).

So onto my 26" kettle they both went and were smoked at 250* with some cherry wood until both got up to about 200* and probe tend. Here is the pair at about the 1 hour mark ready for a spritz...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ribs pigsket 01.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	875790

Obviously the pigsket was done first in about 3 hours so off it came. I let it rest for about 20 minutes then decided to slice it up for some pre-dinner snacks. Well I gotta tell you that pound and a half of meat just disappeared. It was absolutely delicious. If I had to describe it, it was if pork tenderloin met bacon and had a baby. Super tender, nice touch of fat and great taste. I just used a salt brining, pepper and a little granulated garlic and onion (SPOG). Quite honestly I wish I had 10 pounds of the stuff. Will definitely consider ordering it again despite the price.

Name:	pigsket 06.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	875791

Name:	pigsket 01.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	875792Click image for larger version

Name:	pigsket 03.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	875793

Which brings us to the main dish and the star of the show, those big, bad dino ribs. Again I simply salt brined and hit the plate with SPOG. Plate reached about 185* or so on the smoker after about 4 hours and wasn't probing very well so I wrapped it in foil and let it go for about another hour. It did have those fat layers a little less pronounced this time and did experience some delamination. I rested them in my oven for about 2 hours then carved.

Name:	ribs pigsket 02.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	875794Click image for larger version

Name:	ribs pigsket 03.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	875795

Once again just a little too much fat for my liking all in all. The meat however, as you can guess was amazing. Unctuous and melt in your mouth delicious. I'm such a fan of these big dino ribs, they really are delicious. Words don't ever seem to describe how great these are so I'll just describe the result this way.....

Name:	ribs 07.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	875798

Name:	ribs 01.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	875799Click image for larger version

Name:	ribs 03.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	875796Click image for larger version

Name:	ribs 04.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	875797

Just want to give a big shout out to Porter Road for supplying the dino ribs and for that unique cut of pigsket. I definitely endorse these guys and encourage you to give them a try. All pasture raised animals, no hormones, low production, high quality meats.

Well sorry for the long read, it was a great 4th of July weekend with lots of smoking, eating, drinking and enjoying family.

Troutman is outta here, gotta go find me a left over piece of rib meat for lunch !!!

Nice. Was wondering about the pigsket. The ribs... eh. I just don't like that much fat in large striations. Marbled throughout the meat, yes. Big chunks? No, esp not when I'm paying premium prices by the pound.

Comment

My dino ribs are sitting in the freezer. Can't wait to try them. That pigsket sound worth a try, taste buds squirted when you describe the taste.

Comment

Thanks for the write up on your cook. I've got a smallish pork brisket from Porter Road in the freezer. Hope to cook that real soon. You make it sound mouth-wateringly good. Also waiting on those 3-bone dino ribs to be in stock once again at Porter Road. I think beef ribs are my favorite cut of meat to BBQ.

Comment

Troutman your cook continue to amaze.
          Id never heard of pigsket till this weekend. Will look for it this week but like most cuts of meat here it’s probably ground pork by now.
          Beef ribs = ground beef here.
          Dont know what it is about this bloody country they grind up everything
          Well done

Comment

• Red Man
            Red Man commented
            Editing a comment
            You can’t get short ribs in Canada!?! Shame on you canucks 🤣

Dino ribs=meat candy!

Comment

I keep inching up to the "purchase" option on Porter Road and then back off. Your post makes me want to just go for it, Troutman .

I'm concerned about steaks and other cuts shipping in hot weather, though. I'm assuming you've had no problems.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; July 6, 2020, 07:18 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              fzxdoc No problems so far. I've had 3 orders in June-July and it's been brutally hot down here in Texas. They package in a 1-1/2" thick Styrofoam cooler and literally line the top and bottom with frozen bags of that jell stuff. Last order the bags were still mostly frozen even after a 2 day FedEx journey !!

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, no problems here with shipping either. I usually call them and request a monday shipping so that even if it does get hung up with fedex it doesnt end up sitting on a truck for the weekend

I have a couple of dino rib plates from PR in the freezer. Had some of their tri tip and a couple of chuckies from them too - they were excellent. The tri tip was one of the best I have had. I keep checking but they are always sold out.

Comment

Aside from the outstanding pics, the highlight is "when pork tenderloin met bacon & had a baby"!

Comment

I have a pack of those dino ribs in the freezer. They were delivered 2 weekends ago and were perfectly packaged and frozen upon arrival here in the heat of NC. I think they shipped on a Friday and arrived Sunday.

Comment

I placed an order yesterday and paid extra for 2 day express delivery. A couple of pigskets and a little more stuff thrown in for good measure.

Kathryn

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    fzxdoc You're gonna love those pigskets. Little expensive for what you get but it's really good stuff !!

• ofelles
                    ofelles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Stop it you guys I don't have room in my freezer!

• Chipshot7
                    Chipshot7 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Kathryn I have been ordering from them for a while and have never had an issue with products arriving warm. Their method of packaging is top-notch and most things still arrive completely frozen. I ordered a tri-tip and four picanhas today. Excited and can't wait for the arrival lol

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here