Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Meatloaf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Meatloaf

Anyone done one? We make meatloaf in the shop and sell it frozen. I’m slacking it out right now and want to smoke it tomorrow. It’s 2# total weight.

Smoked meatloaf is great. Use your favorite recipe and smoke away. I do unstuffed peppers. That's just meatloaf with a ton of peppers and onions in it. I add minced garlic, and sometimes mushrooms too.

Comment

Mighta happened to have done me one or two, over th years, Sis...
      Fer my sake, since I ain't zackly th 'brightest bulb' in th box, would ya mind please splainin what 'slackin' it out' yer meatloaf is all about, on accounta I'm powerful cornfused, at present.
      Thinkin mebbe I might be missin an important step, overlookin summat, etc., like
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 30, 2020, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        raywjohnson - Clearly we need a "HUH???" button added ... 😎 ...

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        "Huh?" LOL
        MBMorgan
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 30, 2020, 09:48 PM.

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Slacking out means letting it thaw overnight in the fridge.

Here's a couple great ones, which you could modify for most any cooker:

Kathryn's Bacon Covered Smoked Meatloaf on the PBC Makes three (3) 2lb 12 oz meatloaves (adapted from http://www.afeastfortheeyes.net/2011...-its-best.html

What would improve a classic meatloaf recipe? How about a stuffing of velvety smooth cream cheese? And then a leisurely smoking session to pick up lots of smoke flavor? And for the crowning touch, a glaze of classic German Cumberland sauce made with red currant jam, port wine, mustard, ginger, and citrus. Wow!

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 on Kathryn's meatloaf recipe. I always start there and then vary from it based on my mood and what I have on hand. I highly recommend it.

I smoke meatloaves 3 at a time and freeze what we don't eat right away. Whenever our kids come to visit, they scour the freezer for a smoked bacon-covered meatloaf to take back home with them.

As expected, the family is partial to my smoked bacon-covered meatloaf recipe that Huskee posted the link to.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; July 1, 2020, 06:29 AM.

Comment

I do these a lot. 1,000 ways to season it up. Can't really blow it. What I like to do is make a bunch of single serving sized loaves and freeze them for future use. Then I pull out whatever number I need to the number of people eating.

Comment

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the 2 lb. loaf the op mentioned is single serving sized.

I smoke mine on a Frogmat or A wire rack with a drip pan under the grill grate. Works great. Smoke all around.

Comment

Also shout out to Henrik ‘s stuffed and smoked meatloaf.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmm, I buy it off the shelf in my super market. Many weeks at least.

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Henrik, blasphemy!!! You mean you don't make it like this: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...mberland-sauce

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Nope, I buy it in a glass jar. Easy peasy. I just focus on the meatloaf and the wine/beer :-)

Love smoked meatloaf. Here's one done on the PK360. Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_537.jpeg
Views:	418
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	873143Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_536.jpeg
Views:	389
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	873144Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_535.jpeg
Views:	378
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	873145

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            I nearly took a bite out of my screen with that last shot there.

• Loren
            Loren commented
            Editing a comment
            That brings a tear to my eye, it is so beautiful!

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Bravo !!!!

A trick I like to do is line the meatloaf/bread pan with parchment paper. Get your meatloaf mixed up how you like it then press it into the pan. Put it in the fridge for a couple hours or 3 then you can easily plop it out onto a wire rack or frog mat and place it in the smoker. This way it keeps its shape though the entire cooking process.

Comment

I smoke my bacon-covered meatloaves directly on pieces of parchment paper just large enough to fit under each loaf. That way the fat runs off into the coals, which flavors the meat even more. I use a super wide spatula like this one that Meathead recommended to get the cooked meatloaves off the grate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stiff-metal-spatula.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	873171

Kathryn

Comment

Mzzz Kathryn’s ( fzxdoc ) meatloaf is to die for. Buffalo meat puts it over the top! Yessir.

Comment

Thanks y'all! Pictures later tonight!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	204C0688-358B-4FA6-9B3E-F2C3569BA338.jpeg
Views:	265
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	873447Click image for larger version

Name:	3AE8A089-E9E7-4C7D-9AB1-474572EAE692.jpeg
Views:	278
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	873446

Comment

• Hulagn1971
                    Hulagn1971 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    NAILED it!

It took about an hour 10 minutes. Pulled at 165F. It was super juicy and the perfect amount of smoke. I used standard charcoal and a chunk of white oak.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here