Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Brisket Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
    Nice brisket cook. You sure took a quantum leap up the learning curve on that one. Kudos to you.

Like many, I never wrap a brisket until the bark sets, which is usually around 170-180°F. That helps preserve all that wonderful barkiness that we love on a brisket.

Kathryn
    Hey thanks Kathryn. It turned out so good. Next time i'll try and leave it a little longer before putting the paper on.

Comment

Brisket is one of the harder cuts to cook which makes it that much more satisfying when you get one right. If available, you are certainly ready for a whole brisket (packer) so you can experience the true love (lust if done right ) a brisket point can provide.

Comment

Brisket being the animal it is depends a lot on the quality of the piece of meat you are cooking. I just looked up the UK grading system and your Good grade is the 4th grade down from the best. Normally we try to use the top 2 grades. I believe that was the problem with your 1st try. In the future try to use the best grade you can afford.

Comment

The second cook was with a very high grade brisket. Organic, grass fed, no hormones or antibiotics. I think that helped enormously. Have ordered another Brisket from them to try again.

Take the point y'all made on letting the beef cook a little longer before the wrap. Will have a go at that on the next cook.
          Thanks
          KB

Comment

Keep in mind that a grass fed steer will be leaner than a corn fed one. So they do tend to dry out easier when cooking.

For the bark, I like to let the brisket go until I have the color I like. That is usually around 185 F or so. Then I will wrap. If I am using Wagyu or a good prime grade brisket, I will let it go all the way, without wrapping at all.

I also tend to spritz the brisket for the first 3 hours or so. Mostly because I don't run water pans in my smokers. The spritz helps to keep those corners from drying out too fast. It also allows for more smoke adhesion. I use Champagne Vinegar, Apple Cider Vinegar, Liquid Aminos and water for my mixture. (Equal parts)

Holding the brisket in a faux cambro is a huge part of the cooking process. I like to shoot for at least 2 hours for the rest and up too 4 hours. The longer the better. This will make a big difference in tenderness and moisture retention.

Last thing, I also make sure to not slice the meat until I am ready to serve it. Once you slice it, it will start to dry out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here