Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Gotta GO!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look forward to see the end result on this one..

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, me too...might not be so bad, orrrr,,,,,,,,

Everything is gonna be just fine..........you got this................take a few deep breaths and go.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks fer yer kind words, Brother, gonna do jus that. Might filter couple a them deep breaths through me pipe, though...

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones Careful with that pipe.............Screaming Yellow Zonkers are hard to find these days!🙄

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      True dat, amigo!
      Cain't rightly say I've seen any, since th '70's, best as I can recall

Mr.Bones! you got this! I've never cooked from frozen,I don't care to freeze my meat,just never seems to cook the same.
    That being said I just got a load of frozen pork and beef my daughter brought home,so I'll be trying that out soon enough.
    Anyway no real advice hear,just confidence in what you will accomplish!!!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Many thanks fer yer kind words, brother!
      Lookin forward to seein yer cooks, as well!

You know what you need to do. Live stream it. ALL OF IT.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol. Probly not gonna, no viable cam, phone batt would die fast...
      Tryin to work on th camera situation, at present.

You the man, Bonsey. I got no advice cept you got this. Makin me want to retire next door to wherever you end up in Texas.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Many thanks fer them kind words, Brother!
      I'd feel deeply privileged, an honoured to have yall as my neighbours!
      Reckon ahm'a live out my days, somewhere southa Paris, northa Tyler, NE TX. Least, that's my plan...
      Not real sure ya'll' even wanna live in th kinda neghbourhood I'll be able to afford, though lol!
      Yer already Family, reckon ya know, right?
      Unlike my blood family, I'll give ya a key to my front door.
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 5, 2020, 11:56 PM.

I usually throw mine in the sink with some cool to warm water for a bit - thaws the very surface so the plastic comes off and if the surface thaws enough the seasoning sticks without a binder. If I need a binder I use oil. Good luck on the cook, shouldn't be hard especially with your experience.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too. It won't begin to fit into my sink, in any fashion that I could submerge it, an retain a foodsafe environment to thaw it. Don't feel much like scrubbin, an bleachin out th bathtub, an not bein able to use it fer a couple days, neither. Them options has crossed my mind, already, an done been discarded, fer obvious reasons
      Appreciate yer input, be safe an well!.
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 5, 2020, 05:08 PM.

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      you could use a cooler rather than the sink.When you have ten or more briskies,then you can scrub and bleach the tub!!!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      bardsleyque
      On It, BOSS!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 5, 2020, 05:17 PM.

Looking forward to the rest of the story!!!! My three questions is how to trim fat and how to get rum to stick and how to inject? Keep us posted.

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I guess even with a zero degree frozen brisket the rum's freezing point is lower so it will roll right off instead of freezing to the surface like water

Sorry, couldn't resist - its the beer talking.

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      put the rum in your tummy, the brisket will catch up later!

Update/sitrep: 1855 cdt...

Well, last night, to start out with, I done jus like Sweaty Paul reminded me, put th MegaBrisky on a aluminium sheet pan, ol Kenji tip that has always worked well...used an improvised 'rack' to elevate it up offa th deep freezer top, to promote air circulation. Thanks Brother!
    ​
    ^^That's^^ a full sized sheet pan, fer size reference Lol

Holee Schnikeys, they's some kinda MAJOR schnitflap thang goin on out front, I'll be back, but bettin there's at least eleventeen cop cars out there, 2-3x that LEO's...​here comes th Meatwagon, as well...wtf?
    Practicin my "Innocent Look", really hard, afore I step outside, wish me Luck, yall...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 5, 2020, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      bardsleyque 'Preciate it, brother!

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Remember, you don't know me...

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Who????
      ¿¿¿Que??? Lo siento mucho, por favor.
      No habla...
      texastweeter
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 6, 2020, 01:26 AM.

Originally posted by troymeister View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here, but when I was in College I had a course in Thermodynamics. Bear with me as I have killed a lot of brain cells since then. From what I remember, it takes far fewer BTU's to warm something up rather than it does to freeze. As heat always flows from a warmer to a cooler substance. Therefore low and slow is your friend. I would say start at 180° for several hours and then increase to 225° for a while and then 250° until you need to crutch. Just my .02.

Its not like you don't have the right smoker for the job....I might even say start in that little red electric one and then transfer to one of your other bad boys to finish.
    I agree with all of your advice, but with all the expertise of a programmer with a poli sci degree (that is, NONE), I'm taking issue with your thermodynamics.

(M * C * [delta T]) + (M * [delta H])
    The mass (M) is constant
    The delta T is the same going up or down
    The thermal coefficient (C) is constant
    The only question is whether the enthalpy of formation (H) is different when going from solid to liquid than it is from liquid to solid, which as far as I know is not the case

That silliness aside, I really like your SV thawing approach, as it would get a much better heat transfer for thawing than the gaseous transfer inside the smoker.

And THAT, boys and girls, is SCIENCE!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate yer input, but it's late, there's been a violent event out front that tied up some time talkin to our local LEOs, an plus I'm way too tired to try an google alla them big words, startin with such as M*, an C* lol!
      Be safe an well, an rest easy, knowin this behemoth of a brisky is restin safely, under moderately qualified an capable oversight.

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      I have no doubt - we got our best man on it!!!!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      radshop, I cain't tell ya how greatly relieved I am to hear this news:
      we got our best man on it!!!!
      Please, keep me posted as to his scheduled arrival time, an I'll make alla th neccessary arrangements, at this end.
      Very much lookin forward to makin his acquaintance, Brother!

This didn't fit, afore it thawed some, (already had tried, afore my OP), but I found a solution, earlier today... bought me some time, git me more thawed out...feelin much mo bettah bout this, still gotta contend with a 19.2 lb. brisky, though
    Here's hopin it ain't an ornery one!​

Here's what I done done:
    Until it thawed some, in my drive in fridge, it simply wouldn' fit.

Fer sake of perspective, that there is a Coleman Xtreme 6, a 120 qt. cooler, fyi.
    ​
    Big Brisky! Fwiw, a full size sheet pan is 20 3/4" x 12 3/4", industry standard.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200405_151057 (Custom).jpg Views:	33 Size:	970.2 KB ID:	826852
    Coleman Xtreme 6, a 120 qt. cooler, to reiterate:​
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200405_151220 (Custom).jpg Views:	35 Size:	487.6 KB ID:	826851
    Ice​
    ​
    Voy-Laahhh, as them Frenchicans say!
    Foodsafe stable thawin environment acheived, regulation an vigilant oversight to follow, natch.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200405_151751 (Custom).jpg Views:	33 Size:	457.2 KB ID:	826853
    Side note: Later, today, neighbour Rickie was cleanin out his fridge, pantry, an brought me over a mixed Baker's dozen of Guiness Draught, an Guinness Blonde​​(wth not sure what that one's all about), but he didn't care fer it,(blonde) even fer cookin
    I suwanee to be brave, an at least do a taste-testin, fer Th Pit, an in th good name of Science...but, if I immediately dislike it, open one goes not into th kitchen sink, 5 ft. from my puter, but in th toilet. Punishment, an humiliation lol! My own, carefully crafted take on a liquid Drawin an Qaurterin, basically.​
    If it fails my samplin, already told my neighbour Matt he can have em. ​,(Like he needs alcohol ) but still, it helps me out, big picture, by makin him, initially, non-ambulatory, an, way, way later, blessedly silent.....​​ Peace In the Valley, however temporary...

Anyhoo, natch, mentioned previous, ain't no kinda room in my fridge. As of today, rearranged some stuff to shoehorn some others in,; literally cain't see th light bub, direckly, jus some diffused, scattered light, in to scant other open spots, where light can trickle through.

Now bein's as how alla Rickie 's beers were draussenheit, temp-wise, decided summa them might sleep better, in some coincidentally available pseudo fridge space.
    Yeah, sometimes, I even amaze myself lol!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200405_173819 (Custom).jpg Views:	33 Size:	666.1 KB ID:	826854
    ​ Click image for larger version  Name:	20200405_173835 (Custom).jpg Views:	33 Size:	527.3 KB ID:	826855
    ​Reckon that's right where I'm at, present time; it's already thawed enough that I could git some rub to stick, no prob...
    Jus fer Fun, an summat to help us pass our isolation time, might jus make me uppa poll, see what knda rub yall wanna see me use; usually I'm a SPG kinda guy, but...I must confess, I have a few others, to hand, that I ain't tried, yet...

Stay Tuned, yall...thawin takes a few moments... Meanwhile some them Guineas* gittin a free ride, an a good night's sleep ,all up in my cooler! Keepin that poor ol lonely brisky some company...

*My plural fer even more than Guinesseses
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 6, 2020, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Affirm, Kompis!!! We got pics ... and from one former NCO to another ... I’m off for a bit of ill-deserved rack time. 73!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Roger that, gonna sneak in a few winks, meself! Pleasant Dreams, My Friend!
      73!

• crazytown3
      crazytown3 commented
      Editing a comment
      "ain't no kinda room in my fridge. As of today, rearranged some stuff to shoehorn some others in,; literally cain't see th light bub, direckly, jus some diffused, scattered light, in to scant other open spots, where light can trickle through."

FWIW, you can take your TP out of the fridge, it just likes room temp.

you gonna trim? Guessing you're not gonna inject.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Trim, yup, fer certain; this one is covered in enough fat to make some serious beef love, guessin easily 3 lb.s could be peeled offa this monster, without any danger of scalpin it...
      Might even separate point/flat; been wantin to try that method.
      Not injectin, least this round...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 6, 2020, 11:36 AM.

Just caught this thread.....ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Mr. Bones bones wondering "if I got this"......Be still my beating heart!!!

OF COURSE U GOT THIS!!!.......Now I have never cooked a monster like that from frozen, however if I was layin odds, my moneys on Bones.

Low and Slow, pour a dram, grab a strat.......maybe even a tele for this cook.......and relax....you got this.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Many thanks fer them kind words, Brother!
      Means a lot to me!
      Wisdom/experience would tend to indicate accessin reliable sources/experience base/Th Hive Mind, here at Th Pit.
      Bravado would indicate simply strollin out, into th street, takin th leather toggle off my shootin arn...sure, I coulda done it that way...
      Fortunately, I am privileged enough to be able to study at th feet of many, many Masters,(All Yall), so I utilized th wonderful resources available to me.
      >>Logic Based<< (mostly)

Now that's thrifty and conserving the Ice. Use for a two fold purpose. So proud of you.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks fer th em kind words, Brother!
      Was raised by parents who weathered Th Great Depression, WWII, an more. Was definitely taught to utilize available resources to their max, an never waste anything!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 6, 2020, 05:38 PM.

you just gonna leave us hanging?

Comment

I’m sitting here with my earbuds in and scrolling. I read your post above and then just scrolled without reading.

then after much text and I think science and intelligence beyond me, I see Bonsey with and hunk of meat in an ice chest with beer.

LMFAO!!!

A sound plan my friend. Did you cook it? If going frozen throw it on at 300° and let her rip.

if defrosted you trim like 4lbs or so.

otherwise grind that sucker and use that grind as a base. Add land for meatballs. Add sirloin for burgers, add round and sirloin for meatloaf. also you can go Ala Jerod Broussard and grind in a pound of bacon which I can verify is really delicious.

Use it straight with binders and herbs for various things. Fatty, soft and delicious.

Was there a verdict.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here