Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Roast - Low & Slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Roast - Low & Slow

So, I'm in Missouri, a little north of Kansas City, so I'm a pork guy. Butts, Ribs, Loin, even a Crown or 3. I also smoke chicken, sometimes by itself and sometimes as a timer for the ribs. It is pretty hard to stick a thermometer in ribs.

But I don't do beef.

Not to say I don't like beef. My goto Sunday night supper is a grilled Ribeye with fixins. But smoked low & slow, notsomuch.
    So I'm working my way up to brisket, but in steps. Step 1 is a chuck eye roast on my Smokey Mountain Cooker.
    Last night (Thursday), I rubbed on the dry brine. Tonight came Mrs. O'Leary's cow crust, the oil paste version. This will sit until Sunday. Then comes the apple infused smoke and the magic.

I have a couple of questions. Meathead talks about rolling and tying this roast. My piece of meat looks like a 2x4 about 8 inches long. No way on God's earth can I roll it. but I figure, since it is pretty uniform in thickness from end to end, that won't be a problem. Second question is about reverse sear. Seeking opinions on whether it is worth the effort for this particular project. With the SMC, it will be a bit of a hassle, and I'm wondering if it is worth it.

Thanks for your input.

As long as it doesn't turn out like a 2x4 you should be fine. Haven't done a Chuckie yet myself, but hope too soon...if UPS delivers my new smoker today like they said they would! :-(

Comment

I spent years doing indirect on a 22" Weber Kettle with good results. Since I got the SMC, it has been relegated to being a stand for my Smokey Joe. Now, sadly, 2 of the leg sockets have rusted through, and it is going to the great smoke pit in the sky. Found a 1960's grade school desk to use for a Joe stand. For $5 and a coat of paint, I'm good with that. Still, I'll miss the 22.

Comment

This cut is different than meatheads recipe for prime rib. It needs a much higher internal temp to break down like pork butt. No reverse sear needed really unless you wrap it up early to go through the stall. It will form a bark. I tie them up with butchers twine with one around the perimeter to form a oval shape.

Comment

Originally posted by W.A. View Post
          No reverse sear needed really unless you wrap it up early to go through the stall. It will form a bark. I tie them up with butchers twine with one around the perimeter to form a oval shape.
          So I tied it up to keep it together and ran it off at 225° - 235°. It only took about 2 hours to get to 135° internal, and then I did give it about 5 minutes of reverse sear top and bottom. It came out a perfect medium rare, tender and juicy. It was a little spicer than I had expected. Fine for me, but too much for my dearly beloved. I paired it with a nice Baraboo Bonfire Marzen.

Comment

Well, I ended up smoking a chuckie today. turned out drier than I would have liked. Didn't inject it, just a dry rub, ran the RecTec at 225, no spritzing. Put in a foil pan w/ some beer and other additives, foiled it and put it in the oven until it hit 205. Pulled OK.

Comment

• cjonsmoke
              cjonsmoke commented
              Editing a comment
              I believe I could eat some of that. A touch of your favorite sauce would cure the slightly dry issue.

abscam Looks purdy, you may have just gotten a lean ol' steer. Next time forget the pan and liquid (unless your heart's set on it) and hold it once it gets to 200-205 for an horu or two if you can. You may either have needed to soften more goodness to make it better or maybe you got a dry hunk and your next one will be worlds better.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Char-Broil’s Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you’re off to the party! Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5″ x 29.5″ footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.
            Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Blackstone Rangetop Combo: Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, grilled cheese, and so much more. And why deep fry indoors when you can avoid the smell and mess by doing it outside!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet’s Dual Tube Burners

3 burner gas grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King’s proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read ourcompletereview

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them