Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you are a member you must log in now. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Roast - Low & Slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Roast - Low & Slow

So, I'm in Missouri, a little north of Kansas City, so I'm a pork guy. Butts, Ribs, Loin, even a Crown or 3. I also smoke chicken, sometimes by itself and sometimes as a timer for the ribs. It is pretty hard to stick a thermometer in ribs.

But I don't do beef.

Not to say I don't like beef. My goto Sunday night supper is a grilled Ribeye with fixins. But smoked low & slow, notsomuch.
    So I'm working my way up to brisket, but in steps. Step 1 is a chuck eye roast on my Smokey Mountain Cooker.
    Last night (Thursday), I rubbed on the dry brine. Tonight came Mrs. O'Leary's cow crust, the oil paste version. This will sit until Sunday. Then comes the apple infused smoke and the magic.

I have a couple of questions. Meathead talks about rolling and tying this roast. My piece of meat looks like a 2x4 about 8 inches long. No way on God's earth can I roll it. but I figure, since it is pretty uniform in thickness from end to end, that won't be a problem. Second question is about reverse sear. Seeking opinions on whether it is worth the effort for this particular project. With the SMC, it will be a bit of a hassle, and I'm wondering if it is worth it.

Thanks for your input.

As long as it doesn't turn out like a 2x4 you should be fine. Haven't done a Chuckie yet myself, but hope too soon...if UPS delivers my new smoker today like they said they would! :-(

Comment

I spent years doing indirect on a 22" Weber Kettle with good results. Since I got the SMC, it has been relegated to being a stand for my Smokey Joe. Now, sadly, 2 of the leg sockets have rusted through, and it is going to the great smoke pit in the sky. Found a 1960's grade school desk to use for a Joe stand. For $5 and a coat of paint, I'm good with that. Still, I'll miss the 22.

Comment

This cut is different than meatheads recipe for prime rib. It needs a much higher internal temp to break down like pork butt. No reverse sear needed really unless you wrap it up early to go through the stall. It will form a bark. I tie them up with butchers twine with one around the perimeter to form a oval shape.

Comment

Originally posted by W.A. View Post
          No reverse sear needed really unless you wrap it up early to go through the stall. It will form a bark. I tie them up with butchers twine with one around the perimeter to form a oval shape.
          So I tied it up to keep it together and ran it off at 225° - 235°. It only took about 2 hours to get to 135° internal, and then I did give it about 5 minutes of reverse sear top and bottom. It came out a perfect medium rare, tender and juicy. It was a little spicer than I had expected. Fine for me, but too much for my dearly beloved. I paired it with a nice Baraboo Bonfire Marzen.

Comment

Well, I ended up smoking a chuckie today. turned out drier than I would have liked. Didn't inject it, just a dry rub, ran the RecTec at 225, no spritzing. Put in a foil pan w/ some beer and other additives, foiled it and put it in the oven until it hit 205. Pulled OK.

Comment

• cjonsmoke
              cjonsmoke commented
              Editing a comment
              I believe I could eat some of that. A touch of your favorite sauce would cure the slightly dry issue.

abscam Looks purdy, you may have just gotten a lean ol' steer. Next time forget the pan and liquid (unless your heart's set on it) and hold it once it gets to 200-205 for an horu or two if you can. You may either have needed to soften more goodness to make it better or maybe you got a dry hunk and your next one will be worlds better.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes

Spotlight

These are not paid ads, they are a curated selection of products we love.

All of the products below have been tested and are highly recommended. Click here to read more about our review process.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our “buy now” links. This has zero impact on the price you pay but helps support the site.

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It’s among the best bargains for a smoker in the world. This baby cooks circles around cheap offset smokers because temperature control is so much easier. Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

GrillGrates amplify heat, prevent flare-ups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily moved from one grill to another. Click here for more about what makes these grates so special.

A Propane Smoker That Performs Under Pressure

The Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin’. Click here to read our detailed review.

BBQ And Grilling Gifts For Every Occasion

Looking for the perfect gift for the BBQ and grilling enthusiasts in your life? Here’s our suggestion for platinum and gold medal-winning products at a variety of price points. Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts.