Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Roast - Low & Slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Roast - Low & Slow

So, I'm in Missouri, a little north of Kansas City, so I'm a pork guy. Butts, Ribs, Loin, even a Crown or 3. I also smoke chicken, sometimes by itself and sometimes as a timer for the ribs. It is pretty hard to stick a thermometer in ribs.

But I don't do beef.

Not to say I don't like beef. My goto Sunday night supper is a grilled Ribeye with fixins. But smoked low & slow, notsomuch.
    So I'm working my way up to brisket, but in steps. Step 1 is a chuck eye roast on my Smokey Mountain Cooker.
    Last night (Thursday), I rubbed on the dry brine. Tonight came Mrs. O'Leary's cow crust, the oil paste version. This will sit until Sunday. Then comes the apple infused smoke and the magic.

I have a couple of questions. Meathead talks about rolling and tying this roast. My piece of meat looks like a 2x4 about 8 inches long. No way on God's earth can I roll it. but I figure, since it is pretty uniform in thickness from end to end, that won't be a problem. Second question is about reverse sear. Seeking opinions on whether it is worth the effort for this particular project. With the SMC, it will be a bit of a hassle, and I'm wondering if it is worth it.

Thanks for your input.

As long as it doesn't turn out like a 2x4 you should be fine. Haven't done a Chuckie yet myself, but hope too soon...if UPS delivers my new smoker today like they said they would! :-(

Comment

I spent years doing indirect on a 22" Weber Kettle with good results. Since I got the SMC, it has been relegated to being a stand for my Smokey Joe. Now, sadly, 2 of the leg sockets have rusted through, and it is going to the great smoke pit in the sky. Found a 1960's grade school desk to use for a Joe stand. For $5 and a coat of paint, I'm good with that. Still, I'll miss the 22.

Comment

This cut is different than meatheads recipe for prime rib. It needs a much higher internal temp to break down like pork butt. No reverse sear needed really unless you wrap it up early to go through the stall. It will form a bark. I tie them up with butchers twine with one around the perimeter to form a oval shape.

Comment

Originally posted by W.A. View Post
          No reverse sear needed really unless you wrap it up early to go through the stall. It will form a bark. I tie them up with butchers twine with one around the perimeter to form a oval shape.
          So I tied it up to keep it together and ran it off at 225° - 235°. It only took about 2 hours to get to 135° internal, and then I did give it about 5 minutes of reverse sear top and bottom. It came out a perfect medium rare, tender and juicy. It was a little spicer than I had expected. Fine for me, but too much for my dearly beloved. I paired it with a nice Baraboo Bonfire Marzen.

Comment

Well, I ended up smoking a chuckie today. turned out drier than I would have liked. Didn't inject it, just a dry rub, ran the RecTec at 225, no spritzing. Put in a foil pan w/ some beer and other additives, foiled it and put it in the oven until it hit 205. Pulled OK.

Comment

• cjonsmoke
              cjonsmoke commented
              Editing a comment
              I believe I could eat some of that. A touch of your favorite sauce would cure the slightly dry issue.

abscam Looks purdy, you may have just gotten a lean ol' steer. Next time forget the pan and liquid (unless your heart's set on it) and hold it once it gets to 200-205 for an horu or two if you can. You may either have needed to soften more goodness to make it better or maybe you got a dry hunk and your next one will be worlds better.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here