Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Question about brisket yield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DSiewert
    Charter Member
    • Sep 2014

Question about brisket yield

Picked up a prime full packers at Costco. Trimmed it up, salted, seasoned, smoked over the course of two days. The end product was wonderful; tender, moist, nice bark.

The cut weighed in a little over 14 pounds. A lot of fat came off it which ended up rendering 2.5 pounds of tallow. Once the meat was cooked, I have about 4.5 pounds to serve.

Just wondering what other people’s experience is with brisket yield and with the briskets Costco sells. I didn’t weigh the raw fat, but I’m guessing it was 5 ponds at the least. Is this typical for prime briskets?

I’m curious to hear your experiences.
  • steve_woolston
    Club Member
    • Sep 2017
    • Cambridge, Maryland, USA
    • Weber Kettle grill
      275 gallon oil drum whole pig cooker - gas or charcoal
      Thermopen Mk4
      Thermoworks Smoke
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm

I recently cooked a Sam's club prime brisket that was 16 lb to start, and yielded about 5-6 lb finished meat. I'd say your results were close to mine.

Comment

• fracmeister
      Founding Member
      • Jul 2014
      • Sprang, TX
      • Dances with lemmings

(and smokes on a Yoder 640, raises bees and shoots a .408 WIndrunner) "come la notte i furti miei seconda"

That's WAY less yield than I am used to for H-E-B prime 1. Of course I look for thick flats with our much hard deckle and I smoke that and eat it. Sometimes by itself but more often with chopped brisket, in pulled pork, in scrambled eggs, etc. But the cooked meat yield on 1 14 pound gross for me is like 9-10 pounds, maybe a touch under but not much I do inject but I can't see less than 5

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        • Jun 2014
        • East Texas
        • Pit Barrel Cooker "Texas Brisket Edition"
          Weber One Touch Premium Copper 22" Kettle (gift)
          Slow 'n Sear for 22" Kettle
          Weber One Touch Premium Black 26" Kettle (gift)
          Slow 'n Sear XL for 26" Kettle (gift)
          Weber Smokey Joe Gold
          Weber Rapid Fire Chimney
          Vortex
          Maverick ET-732 White
          Maverick ET-732 Copper
          2- Auber SYL-1615 fan systems(Awesome!!!!!!!!)
          Thermoworks Thermapen w/ Back light (gift)
          Thermoworks Timestick
          Cambro Model 300MPC110 w/ Winco SS Pans
          B & B and Kingsford Charcoal
          B & B Pellets

That is about 8-10% less than what I typically get. I'm usually running 40-42% and have started trimming off that very thin part of the flat that rides up the point. Not a lot, but enough to get rid of the super thin stuff.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          Club Member
          • Jul 2016
          • Virginia
          • 2 Weber Performers, 1 kettle, 1 Smoky Joe and a PBC
            Thermopops
            Dot and Chef Alarm with probes
            Slo n Sear
            Cold beer

I find you need to dig through those Costco packers. Some have way to much hard white fat.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, they had fewer packers than normal out when I was up there last week, and I got the one with the least fat, which was also the smallest at 17.5 pounds. I still trimmed about 1 pound of that hard white fat off along one edge.

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            I've noticed that as well. Since they reappeared there are fewer full packers in the bin. jfmorris
        • texastweeter
          Club Member
          • Jul 2017
          • Republic of Texas

I figure 50% yield on prime HEB for my big cooks. Never been off by much.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds about right for me with Costco prime briskets.
        • jfmorris
          Club Member
          • Nov 2017
          • Huntsville, Alabama
          • Jim Morris

Cookers
            • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (2021)
            • Camp Chef FTG900 Flat Top Grill (2020)
            • Weber Genesis II E-410 w/ GrillGrates (2019)
            • Weber Performer Deluxe 22.5" w/ GrillGrates & Slow 'N Sear & Drip ‘N Griddle & Party Q & Rotisserie (2007)
            • Custom Built Offset Smoker (304SS, 22"x34" grate, circa 1985)
            • King Kooker 94/90TKD 105K/60K dual burner patio stove
            • Lodge L8D03 5 quart dutch oven
            • Lodge L10SK3 12" skillet
            • Anova
            Thermometers
            • Thermoworks Smoke w/ Wifi Gateway
            • Thermoworks Dot
            • Thermoworks Thermapen Classic
            • Thermoworks RT600C
            Beverages
            • Whatever I brewed and have on tap!

I just smoked a 17.5 pound prime packer from Costco this past weekend. I trimmed exactly one pound of fat, leaving about 1/4" in the fat cap. I cooked to 205F, and held in a warm oven for a couple of hours, then cambro for several more, due to timing of the meal. Moistest brisket I've ever made, with little waste. I would have to say though looking at my Drip 'N Griddle the next day, plus the "juice" I drained from the foil to serve with, I lost several pounds (maybe 3 to 4) of fat that rendered. 15 folks wiped out the flat and part of the point in one meal, but we were all stuffed. I made burnt ends from the rest of the point the next day. If I had to guess, loss was probably about half of the brisket by weight - 9 to 10 pounds finished product from the original 17.5 pound hunk of beef. 50% or so like texastweeter says sounds about right.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
          See more
          See less
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}