Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about brisket yield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about brisket yield

Picked up a prime full packers at Costco. Trimmed it up, salted, seasoned, smoked over the course of two days. The end product was wonderful; tender, moist, nice bark.

The cut weighed in a little over 14 pounds. A lot of fat came off it which ended up rendering 2.5 pounds of tallow. Once the meat was cooked, I have about 4.5 pounds to serve.

Just wondering what other people’s experience is with brisket yield and with the briskets Costco sells. I didn’t weigh the raw fat, but I’m guessing it was 5 ponds at the least. Is this typical for prime briskets?

I’m curious to hear your experiences.

I recently cooked a Sam's club prime brisket that was 16 lb to start, and yielded about 5-6 lb finished meat. I'd say your results were close to mine.

Comment

That's WAY less yield than I am used to for H-E-B prime 1. Of course I look for thick flats with our much hard deckle and I smoke that and eat it. Sometimes by itself but more often with chopped brisket, in pulled pork, in scrambled eggs, etc. But the cooked meat yield on 1 14 pound gross for me is like 9-10 pounds, maybe a touch under but not much I do inject but I can't see less than 5

Comment

That is about 8-10% less than what I typically get. I'm usually running 40-42% and have started trimming off that very thin part of the flat that rides up the point. Not a lot, but enough to get rid of the super thin stuff.

Comment

I find you need to dig through those Costco packers. Some have way to much hard white fat.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, they had fewer packers than normal out when I was up there last week, and I got the one with the least fat, which was also the smallest at 17.5 pounds. I still trimmed about 1 pound of that hard white fat off along one edge.

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            I've noticed that as well. Since they reappeared there are fewer full packers in the bin. jfmorris

I figure 50% yield on prime HEB for my big cooks. Never been off by much.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds about right for me with Costco prime briskets.

I just smoked a 17.5 pound prime packer from Costco this past weekend. I trimmed exactly one pound of fat, leaving about 1/4" in the fat cap. I cooked to 205F, and held in a warm oven for a couple of hours, then cambro for several more, due to timing of the meal. Moistest brisket I've ever made, with little waste. I would have to say though looking at my Drip 'N Griddle the next day, plus the "juice" I drained from the foil to serve with, I lost several pounds (maybe 3 to 4) of fat that rendered. 15 folks wiped out the flat and part of the point in one meal, but we were all stuffed. I made burnt ends from the rest of the point the next day. If I had to guess, loss was probably about half of the brisket by weight - 9 to 10 pounds finished product from the original 17.5 pound hunk of beef. 50% or so like texastweeter says sounds about right.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here