Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Chuckie on the offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottranda
    Charter Member
    • May 2015
    • Charlotte, NC

Chuckie on the offset

It’s a beautiful day here in NC. Decided to do a chuckie on the offset. I’ve used my offset several times before so I’m still learning it.

I found a beautiful chuckie that is well marbled.

All oak wood.

temps are fluctuating. I’m kind of wondering if my firebox grate is too high. It’s not allowing for a good coal base to form that fires up the new wood I put in the firebox. its kind of a few inches too far. Anyone dealt with that?

also, I put some wood to preheat on top of the firebox. I found 6-8 black ants on top of my wood. Were they living in my wood?

im also monitoring temps through a live periscope session. It works amazing! I can see my temps anytime and anywhere!

the cook ain’t over yet!
    Attached Files
  • Dan Deter
    Club Member
    • Jun 2018
    • Raleigh, NC
    • Weber Summit S-670
      Thermapen Mk 4

I'm sure the ants were living in then wood. Good luck with the rest of the cook!

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Is it a problem? For me, not the ants haha

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear ant smoke imparts an excellent flavor to the meat !!
  • Dan Deter
    Club Member
    • Jun 2018
    • Raleigh, NC
    • Weber Summit S-670
      Thermapen Mk 4

Shouldn't think so.

Comment

• scottranda
      Charter Member
      • May 2015
      • Charlotte, NC

If anyone is interested...

LIVE on #Periscope: Bbq temp monitoring

https://www.pscp.tv/w/cNpYFTI2OTU1MD...40XswQI1q2G785

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        Kinda like watching paint dry.

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        That ThermaQ is a Smoke mixed with a Thermapen. Nifty!
    • scottranda
      Charter Member
      • May 2015
      • Charlotte, NC

6 hours later, this is the coal bed. The grate is set maybe 5 inches above the floor of the firebox. I think it’s too far. What do you say?

the unburned wood is just preheating. You can ignore that.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Personally, I like the extra space. It gives the ash some room to accumulate without restricting air flow. Especially since my pit doesn't have a way to remove the ash during a cook.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Tried to like Dewesq55 's comment. It didn't work. I like the extra space, too. For long cooks, you are going to get a lot of ash. That space will also allow you to put an ash catcher (industrial cookie sheet) underneath for easy clean-up without restricting air flow.

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks perfect to me. Good airflow under the fire. I have built and used 1 or 2 of these.
    • Dewesq55
      Founding Member
      • Jul 2014
      • The Poconos, NEPA
      • Smoker:
        Landmann Smoke Master Series Heavy Duty Barrel Smoker (COS) - With mods including 2 level rack system with pull-out grates
        Masterbuilt 40.2" 1200W Electric Smoker
        Masterbuilt ThermoTemp XL 40" Vertical Propane Smoker

Gas Grill:
        BBQPro (cheap big box store model) Stainless steel 4 burnerswith aftermarket rotisserie.

Charcoal Grill:
        Weber Smokey Joe Charcoal Grill 14"

Thermometer:​​​​​​
        Fireboard 2 with Drive cable and 20 CFM fan and Competition Probe Package
        Fireboard 1st Generation
        ThermoWorks Mini Instant Read
        Lavaworks Thermowand Instant Read
        2 Maverick 733
        ThermoWorks IR-GUN-S Industrial Infrared Thermometer
        ThermoWorks ThermaPen Mk4 x 2
        Govee Bluetooth Thermometer with 6 probes

Miscellaneous:
        Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator - 1st generation
        Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator - wifi/bluetooth connected

Favorite Beer:
        Anything to the dark side and malty rather than hoppy. Currently liking Yuengling Porter and Newcastle Brown Ale. In a bar or pub I will often default to Guiness

Favorite Spirit:
        Bourbon - Eagle Rare for "every day"; Angel's Envy for special occasions, Basil Hayden's, Larceny

Favorite Wine:
        Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Super Tuscan Sangiovese (Including Chianti Classico Riserva) Brunello di Montalcino

Favorite Meat(s):
        Pork - especially the darker meat. I love spare ribs and anything made from shoulder/butt meat
        Chicken - Mainly the dark meat and wings
        Beef Ribeye steak

Favorite Cuisine to Cook:
        Can't list just one: Indian, Chinese, Thai, West Indian/Carribean, Hispanic/Latin American, Ethiopian, Italian, BBQ

Favorite Cuisine to Eat:
        Indian, followed closely by BBQ.

Disqus ID:
        David E. Waterbury

On the original question, I notice you don't have a charcoal basket in your firebox so what I'm about to suggest might take a little ingenuity. I take an old unused grate and prop it up inside my charcoal basket on an angle, so it makes a steep ramp which is quite narrow on the bottom when I start the fire, and then when I add new splits, the coals drop down there ramp and collect in the narrowed space and maintain a good coal bed for igniting the new splits. In your situation, I would try to find something that I could stick in the fire box that would block off an area where the coals couldn't wander out of, but still allowed good air flow/circulation. Maybe even a few bricks. Or maybe you could do something similar to what I do by leaning a grate against the back of the firebox and the other end resting, or secured around the middle, or front third, of your fire grate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191020_135114.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	5.24 MB
ID:	785101Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191020_135131.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	5.13 MB
ID:	785102

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve B I got the basic idea from a guy on YouTube who built a rounded V-shaped log basket for his offset for this very purpose. I thought the concept was sound and thought I could probably accomplish the same result without having to build a whole new contraption. So far it has worked great.

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Great idea for an offset

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        I have to give my input here as well.
        scottranda Dewesq55 Ahumadora
        I actually use a charcoal basket myself. It was custom made from a great guy. He can make anything you want or need. http://www.yokeup.net/BBQ.html
    • Steve B
      Club Member
      • Jun 2016
      • Rockland county New York
      • Lonestar Grillz 24x36 offset smoker, grill, w/ main chamber charcoal grate and 3 tel-tru thermometers - left, right and center
        Yoke Up custom charcoal basket and a Grill Wraps cover.

22.5 copper kettle w/ SnS, DnG, BBQ vortex, gasket and stainless steel hinge kit.

Napoleon gas grill (soon to go bye bye) rotting out.

1 maverick et-733 digital thermometer - black
        1 maverick et-733 - gray
        1 new standard grilling remote digital thermometer
        1 thermoworks thermopen mk4 - red
        1 thermoworks thermopop - red

Pre Miala flavor injector
        taylor digital scale
        TSM meat grinder
        chefs choice food slicer
        cuisinhart food processor
        food saver vacuum sealer
        TSM harvest food dehydrator

Next cook turn the fire box grate upside down. That will get you an inch or so closer to the bottom of the fire box.
      The other thing I see is that the wood may be too dry. Meaning it may be burning too fast not allowing it to form a good bed.
      Otherwise everything looks just fine.

Keep the pics coming.

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for these two ideas! (Sorry for just now responding. I was cooking and playing with my 3 year old).

My wood could be too dry. I’ve been hoarding it for a while. I do have a moisture meter, so just for kicks, I’ll measure the moisture content next time. MAYBE that’s my issue too. THANKS!
    • scottranda
      Charter Member
      • May 2015
      • Charlotte, NC

Live streaming setup
      Attached Files

Comment

• scottranda
        Charter Member
        • May 2015
        • Charlotte, NC

The payoff...
        Attached Files

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow looks textbook to me!! Will be right over with a horde of drunk friends!!

• Dan Deter
          Dan Deter commented
          Editing a comment
          looks great!

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          That is delicious!
      • scottranda
        Charter Member
        • May 2015
        • Charlotte, NC

The bigger payoff...

https://youtu.be/ZbIXiHh_u68

I’ve waited 3.5 years to hear this ❤️

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Makes it all worth while!!!

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          It won't let me like 100 times!
      • Steve B
        Club Member
        • Jun 2016
        • Rockland county New York
        • Lonestar Grillz 24x36 offset smoker, grill, w/ main chamber charcoal grate and 3 tel-tru thermometers - left, right and center
          Yoke Up custom charcoal basket and a Grill Wraps cover.

22.5 copper kettle w/ SnS, DnG, BBQ vortex, gasket and stainless steel hinge kit.

Napoleon gas grill (soon to go bye bye) rotting out.

1 maverick et-733 digital thermometer - black
          1 maverick et-733 - gray
          1 new standard grilling remote digital thermometer
          1 thermoworks thermopen mk4 - red
          1 thermoworks thermopop - red

Pre Miala flavor injector
          taylor digital scale
          TSM meat grinder
          chefs choice food slicer
          cuisinhart food processor
          food saver vacuum sealer
          TSM harvest food dehydrator

Click image for larger version

Name:	FFD48C60-1975-452C-BD4E-4AADC5D8B7AD.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	3.18 MB
ID:	785270Click image for larger version

Name:	7827CD80-8563-4A73-8C6C-40D7D1056241.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	3.71 MB
ID:	785268 Some pics of my basket. Click image for larger version

Name:	DFBC1BF9-0205-4D9B-833B-6B676F51E637.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	785267Click image for larger version

Name:	408A75CE-4813-42A3-B4DC-31DCF478E17D.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	785269

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
        Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
        See more
        See less
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
        The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
        The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
        The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
        The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
        The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
        We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
        Stylish and Affordable
        Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
        Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
        A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
        Webers Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
        GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
        The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
        This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
        A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
        FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
        Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
        Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order