Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuckie on the offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuckie on the offset

It’s a beautiful day here in NC. Decided to do a chuckie on the offset. I’ve used my offset several times before so I’m still learning it.

I found a beautiful chuckie that is well marbled.

All oak wood.

temps are fluctuating. I’m kind of wondering if my firebox grate is too high. It’s not allowing for a good coal base to form that fires up the new wood I put in the firebox. its kind of a few inches too far. Anyone dealt with that?

also, I put some wood to preheat on top of the firebox. I found 6-8 black ants on top of my wood. Were they living in my wood?

im also monitoring temps through a live periscope session. It works amazing! I can see my temps anytime and anywhere!

the cook ain’t over yet!
    Attached Files

I'm sure the ants were living in then wood. Good luck with the rest of the cook!

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Is it a problem? For me, not the ants haha

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear ant smoke imparts an excellent flavor to the meat !!

Shouldn't think so.

Comment

If anyone is interested...

LIVE on #Periscope: Bbq temp monitoring

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        Kinda like watching paint dry.

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        That ThermaQ is a Smoke mixed with a Thermapen. Nifty!

6 hours later, this is the coal bed. The grate is set maybe 5 inches above the floor of the firebox. I think it’s too far. What do you say?

the unburned wood is just preheating. You can ignore that.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Personally, I like the extra space. It gives the ash some room to accumulate without restricting air flow. Especially since my pit doesn't have a way to remove the ash during a cook.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Tried to like Dewesq55 's comment. It didn't work. I like the extra space, too. For long cooks, you are going to get a lot of ash. That space will also allow you to put an ash catcher (industrial cookie sheet) underneath for easy clean-up without restricting air flow.

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks perfect to me. Good airflow under the fire. I have built and used 1 or 2 of these.

On the original question, I notice you don't have a charcoal basket in your firebox so what I'm about to suggest might take a little ingenuity. I take an old unused grate and prop it up inside my charcoal basket on an angle, so it makes a steep ramp which is quite narrow on the bottom when I start the fire, and then when I add new splits, the coals drop down there ramp and collect in the narrowed space and maintain a good coal bed for igniting the new splits. In your situation, I would try to find something that I could stick in the fire box that would block off an area where the coals couldn't wander out of, but still allowed good air flow/circulation. Maybe even a few bricks. Or maybe you could do something similar to what I do by leaning a grate against the back of the firebox and the other end resting, or secured around the middle, or front third, of your fire grate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191020_135114.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	785101Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191020_135131.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	785102

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve B I got the basic idea from a guy on YouTube who built a rounded V-shaped log basket for his offset for this very purpose. I thought the concept was sound and thought I could probably accomplish the same result without having to build a whole new contraption. So far it has worked great.

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Great idea for an offset

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        I have to give my input here as well.
        scottranda Dewesq55 Ahumadora
        I actually use a charcoal basket myself. It was custom made from a great guy. He can make anything you want or need. http://www.yokeup.net/BBQ.html

Next cook turn the fire box grate upside down. That will get you an inch or so closer to the bottom of the fire box.
      The other thing I see is that the wood may be too dry. Meaning it may be burning too fast not allowing it to form a good bed.
      Otherwise everything looks just fine.

Keep the pics coming.

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for these two ideas! (Sorry for just now responding. I was cooking and playing with my 3 year old).

My wood could be too dry. I’ve been hoarding it for a while. I do have a moisture meter, so just for kicks, I’ll measure the moisture content next time. MAYBE that’s my issue too. THANKS!

Live streaming setup
      Attached Files

Comment

The payoff...
        Attached Files

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow looks textbook to me!! Will be right over with a horde of drunk friends!!

• Dan Deter
          Dan Deter commented
          Editing a comment
          looks great!

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          That is delicious!

The bigger payoff...

I’ve waited 3.5 years to hear this ❤️

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Makes it all worth while!!!

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          It won't let me like 100 times!

Click image for larger version

Name:	FFD48C60-1975-452C-BD4E-4AADC5D8B7AD.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	785270Click image for larger version

Name:	7827CD80-8563-4A73-8C6C-40D7D1056241.jpeg
Views:	195
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	785268 Some pics of my basket. Click image for larger version

Name:	DFBC1BF9-0205-4D9B-833B-6B676F51E637.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	785267Click image for larger version

Name:	408A75CE-4813-42A3-B4DC-31DCF478E17D.jpeg
Views:	216
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	785269

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here