Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Prime Rib Cook Time--Oven Differ From Grill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fkrall
    Club Member
    • Jan 2017
    • Northern NJ

Prime Rib Cook Time--Oven Differ From Grill?

This Christmas, once again I followed Meathead’s method for slow roasting a prime rib and once again my cook time was dramatically longer than his 30 minutes per inch. Although I follow his method precisely, there are two differences I suspect might explain the longer cook: I roast in our oven so I don’t disappear on our guests, and the roast is 33 degrees out of the fridge rather than 38.

This year our 9# 5-inch diameter rolled and tied prime ribeye roast took 60 minutes/inch at 225 degrees to cook to 128. The result was excellent, but that’s 90 minutes longer than target. I suspect the oven’s the main culprit, as it brackets 189 – 249 to average 225 (verified with my Smoke) whereas my grill would have maintained a steady 225. Additionally, it appeared to me to stall about halfway or so into the cook, as the rate of IT increase declined from that point forward.

Next time I’ll simply assume 60-70 minutes an inch under similar circumstances, but in the meantime (and to anticipate New Year’s Eve)—can anybody help me understand what’s going on?

Thanks.

Attached Files
  • Mosca
    Charter Member
    • Oct 2014
    • PA
    • Large Big Green Egg, Weber Performer Deluxe, Weber Smokey Joe Silver, Maverick 732, DigiQ, and too much other stuff to mention.

My 4 bone/bone in roast took almost exactly 5 hours. In at 12:55, out at 6 on the nose and, like yours, 128*.

I’m thinking that’s how the concept of hors d’ oeuvres evolved.

Comment

• Voodoo628
      Club Member
      • Dec 2019
      • Pasadena, Maryland
      • DJ
        Weber Kettle and a PBC!

Ovens constantly heat and cool to maintain an average temp like you mentioned, at a wider range than what your grill or smoker normally would.

Unfortunately the golden rule applies as always "it's done when its done". Sometimes faster sometimes slower. Appetizers and beer for the patience medicine.

Comment

• Alphonse
        Club Member
        • Oct 2019
        • LA (Lower Alabama - gulf coast)

I think we often falsely believe the accuracy and performance to the setpoint for an oven.

I think you have already identified the problem. Your oven is not performing well to setpoint. If it is running as low as 189F as you point out, your mean temperature may actually be well below the 225F that you are after.

Comment

• fkrall
          Club Member
          • Jan 2017
          • Northern NJ

As our daughter said, "Don't worry, Dad; we all had a chance to get hungry again after the hors d'oeuvres!"

Comment

• RonB
            Club Member
            • Apr 2016
            • Near Richmond VA
            • Weber Performer Deluxe
              SNS
              Pizza insert
              Rotisserie
              Smokenator 1000
              Cookshack Smokette Elite
              2 Thermapens
              Chefalarm
              Dot
              lots of probes.
              CyberQ

My last PR also took twice as long as that recipe suggests.. Unfortunately, I had only allowed one hour for rest and sear, so we ate an hour late. There were no complaints once we started eating...

Comment

• fkrall
              Club Member
              • Jan 2017
              • Northern NJ

Thanks all. RonB--that was my experience as well!

Comment

• smokin fool
                Club Member
                • Apr 2019
                • Mississauga, Ont

I our case the back of the oven I constantly higher than nearer to the door.
                I don't mean a bit higher but a lot higher so I keep on rotating what ever is in the oven to account for this.
                Its a practice I've carried over to my smoking of roasts of beef on our Keg.
                I give the meat a quarter turn at intervals, whether it does any good or not is up for debate but makes me feel better and I like the results.

Comment

• JCGrill
                  Club Member
                  • Mar 2017
                  • Minneapolis / St Paul burbs
                  • Charcoal - 22" Weber Kettle
                    Gas - Saber
                    Smoker - Green Mountain Daniel Boone
                    Portable - Charbroil Tabletop Propane Grill

My oven runs way hot. Clearly not your problem, but a wide variation is probably not helping. I like gas ranges, and I'm looking at an upgraded unit which includes a fan in the oven, making it more of a convection oven. I don't know, but my suspicion is that this will keep temps more consistent throughout the oven and probably reduce the swings. Here's hoping.

Comment

• AmosMoses01
                    Club Member
                    • Jun 2018
                    • Round Rock, TX
                    • New Orleans born, Mississippi raised, empty nester, living in Central Texas for 20+ years - looking to buy my first pellet smoker. Awed by the info on this site already!

I've never measured and tracked our gas oven's ability to maintain a temperature using my Fireboard, but I'm fairly convinced just by looking at the oven thermometers we keep on either side of the shelf that my Blazin' Grill Works Grand Slam keeps tighter control than our kitchen's oven does. We keep two thermometers in there since there is usually a 10F difference across sides, and the temperatures definitely don't match the thermostat dial's values. The oven is the only appliance we've not replaced in the house, but at 26 years old, it keeps on working... there's really not been any change in it's performance, it has always been this way. We rotate most things at the halfway point because of the temperature delta...

That being said, looking at my data for the last two prime ribs I've done on the pellet smoker, my time to hitting 115F has been very nearly spot on for the 30 minutes per pound guidance. Finishing on cast iron for the reverse sear has been a tad bit faster than 20 minutes for me, but I know that my control over that surface's temperature is not very good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
                    Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                    See more
                    See less
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                    The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                    The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                    The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                    The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                    The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                    We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                    Stylish and Affordable
                    Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                    Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                    A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                    Webers™ Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                    GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                    The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                    This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175 to 350F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                    A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                    FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                    Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                    Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order