Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib Cook Time--Oven Differ From Grill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib Cook Time--Oven Differ From Grill?

This Christmas, once again I followed Meathead’s method for slow roasting a prime rib and once again my cook time was dramatically longer than his 30 minutes per inch. Although I follow his method precisely, there are two differences I suspect might explain the longer cook: I roast in our oven so I don’t disappear on our guests, and the roast is 33 degrees out of the fridge rather than 38.

This year our 9# 5-inch diameter rolled and tied prime ribeye roast took 60 minutes/inch at 225 degrees to cook to 128. The result was excellent, but that’s 90 minutes longer than target. I suspect the oven’s the main culprit, as it brackets 189 – 249 to average 225 (verified with my Smoke) whereas my grill would have maintained a steady 225. Additionally, it appeared to me to stall about halfway or so into the cook, as the rate of IT increase declined from that point forward.

Next time I’ll simply assume 60-70 minutes an inch under similar circumstances, but in the meantime (and to anticipate New Year’s Eve)—can anybody help me understand what’s going on?

Thanks.

Attached Files

My 4 bone/bone in roast took almost exactly 5 hours. In at 12:55, out at 6 on the nose and, like yours, 128*.

I’m thinking that’s how the concept of hors d’ oeuvres evolved.

Comment

Ovens constantly heat and cool to maintain an average temp like you mentioned, at a wider range than what your grill or smoker normally would.

Unfortunately the golden rule applies as always "it's done when its done". Sometimes faster sometimes slower. Appetizers and beer for the patience medicine.

Comment

I think we often falsely believe the accuracy and performance to the setpoint for an oven.

I think you have already identified the problem. Your oven is not performing well to setpoint. If it is running as low as 189F as you point out, your mean temperature may actually be well below the 225F that you are after.

Comment

As our daughter said, "Don't worry, Dad; we all had a chance to get hungry again after the hors d'oeuvres!"

Comment

My last PR also took twice as long as that recipe suggests.. Unfortunately, I had only allowed one hour for rest and sear, so we ate an hour late. There were no complaints once we started eating...

Comment

Thanks all. RonB--that was my experience as well!

Comment

I our case the back of the oven I constantly higher than nearer to the door.
                I don't mean a bit higher but a lot higher so I keep on rotating what ever is in the oven to account for this.
                Its a practice I've carried over to my smoking of roasts of beef on our Keg.
                I give the meat a quarter turn at intervals, whether it does any good or not is up for debate but makes me feel better and I like the results.

Comment

My oven runs way hot. Clearly not your problem, but a wide variation is probably not helping. I like gas ranges, and I'm looking at an upgraded unit which includes a fan in the oven, making it more of a convection oven. I don't know, but my suspicion is that this will keep temps more consistent throughout the oven and probably reduce the swings. Here's hoping.

Comment

I've never measured and tracked our gas oven's ability to maintain a temperature using my Fireboard, but I'm fairly convinced just by looking at the oven thermometers we keep on either side of the shelf that my Blazin' Grill Works Grand Slam keeps tighter control than our kitchen's oven does. We keep two thermometers in there since there is usually a 10F difference across sides, and the temperatures definitely don't match the thermostat dial's values. The oven is the only appliance we've not replaced in the house, but at 26 years old, it keeps on working... there's really not been any change in it's performance, it has always been this way. We rotate most things at the halfway point because of the temperature delta...

That being said, looking at my data for the last two prime ribs I've done on the pellet smoker, my time to hitting 115F has been very nearly spot on for the 30 minutes per pound guidance. Finishing on cast iron for the reverse sear has been a tad bit faster than 20 minutes for me, but I know that my control over that surface's temperature is not very good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here