Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 Spice vs. BBBR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 Spice vs. BBBR?

I’ve enjoyed the Beef Short Ribs, Texas Style (plate ribs) several times, but want to change it up a bit. Has anyone substituted the Chinese 5 Spice Powder Rub for the Big Bad Beef Rub?

I love 5 spice and I use it in my own rubs. I haven't used it on its own as a rub though. It sounds like an interesting idea. Maybe you should give it a shot and let us know ho it tastes? BBR contains white sugar to help facilitate crust formation so you might miss that with 5 spice alone.

Comment

• mstruth
      mstruth commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice "catch" on the sugar!

Here's a rub recipe of mine.

Attjack Asian Rub #2
    • 1/2 cup Chinese Five Spice
    • 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
    • 3/4 cup white sugar
    • 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
    • 2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
    • 1/4 cup garlic powder
    • 2 tablespoons onion powder
    • 2 tablespoons lemongrass powder
    • 2 teaspoons cayenne
    • 2 Tablespoons red pepper flakes

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Of course, mountainsmoker. Let me know what you think of it.

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you I have two empty jars of rub that need filling so will make a jar of yours as I make them.

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Well I'll be darned. My wife was going through the pantry the other day and asked me what I had in mind with the 1 lbs baggie of 5 spice powder I picked up at a market last fall. This recipe will help clean out the pantry.
      Last edited by Craigar; October 16, 2019, 12:26 PM.

For some reason I thought Five Spice had to be used sparingly as a seasoning because its flavors are so strong.

I'm eager to try your rub recipe on pork, Attjack . Thanks!

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks Attjack. Will try that rub. Nice way to give some meat an Asian flare. What have you used it on?

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I like using it on pork ribs and pork shoulder.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here