Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Porterhouse Lost It's Luster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't grow up on Porterhouse/T-Bone (or most other steaks for that matter). But my wife and I visited our son who was doing a year of college abroad in Florence back around 10-15 years ago. As with so many things, once I see "the real deal", I have to try to duplicate it at home. In fact Richard Chrz's pictures above look a lot like how/what I attempted. Although I never see steaks like that pre-wrapped, they are readily available from local butchers around here. We probably do one of these about once every summer. Sort of our summer version of a Thanksgiving turkey. And yeah, one of these serves about four (or more) of us. I guess that makes me sort of a "lightweight" when it comes to devouring steaks.

Comment

I love a good Porterhouse. I use to cook those for the wife and I - she’d eat the filet and I’d eat the strip.

Comment

Growing up our family would go out to a steak house maybe twice a year. The steak house was "Joe Petrelli’s" and the unspoken rite of passage for a young man (I had 3 brothers) was to order and eat the "Joe’s Special". A 22-24 oz. Porterhouse steak. A lot of good memories watching my brothers work through that side of beef, being cheered on by family and my dad. It was my fathers favorite steak.

But not mine. IMHO, the porterhouse house is to tricky to cook properly, as has been mentioned by others. Also, NY strips and filets are not my favorite steaks. My preference is the rib-eye, cut from the small end. For size, volume and flavor, I think the Tomahawk rib-eye is superior to the Porterhouse. The Tomahawk rib-eye is the new Porterhouse.
        Last edited by TripleB; September 16, 2019, 01:03 PM.

Comment

I don't see the allure of a tomahawk. The amount of meat you get for a 24oz is about the same as a 16oz ribeye without the cutting and gnawing and the meat is cooked evenly through unlike the tomahawk which is very rare at the bone. I order one every once in a while when they don't have a 16oz ribeye but that is it.

Comment

I usually go for NY strip these days, as I have not seen good T-bones or Porterhouse steaks around here. Usually what they sell as a T-bone hardly has any of the filet side. That said, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for them, as I've not cooked one in a couple of years.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm with you. Most T-bones are in name and bone only in my local stores. Loves me a good strip.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              And for whatever reason, I know ribeye is supposed to be America's favorite steak. It has never been mine. I've bought way too many that had a lot of fat and gristle in them. I want some interstitial fat or whatever (marbling), and I don't mind a strip on the side of my steak - it adds flavor. I just find no waste on a good NY strip, especially if I buy a whole USDA Prime strip loin when I find it on sale somewhere like Fresh Market.

Just cooked a porterhouse last Saturday. Wife picked it out. The filet part was smaller than expected even though she said she picked the one with the "largest" eye. I' thought it was a t-bone, but the label said . . . At least it was about 1.25 inches thick. My Dad grew up on a farm in Iowa so while I was growing up, we had LOTS of steaks, mostly bone-in sirloins. Lately the "sirloins" I see don't look like what I had as a kid, BUT I can always find wonderful Delmonicos, perfect ribeyes, skirts, London broil, extra-large/thick filets, and even New York strips without that damn fibrous gristly band through the middle.

So, yeah, I agree with the OP -porterhouses and even t-bones are hard to find because, I think, stores can make more money by selling the big part as a ribeye or NYStrip, the eye part as a "filet for sliders", or otherwise breaking it down into a faddish chunk - Tomahawk Chop anyone????? AND I plead guilty to ALL that faddish buying.
            Last edited by Harry; September 16, 2019, 09:16 PM.

Comment

porterhouse is my 13 year old monster of a sons favorite cut. We have it often. I am a river fan myself, and the wife a fillet. Usually have them on tap, lol.

Comment

I rarely see any t bones available outside of special order, let along true porterhouses. I think the guesses that they are more profitable separated are correct.

Maybe more difficult to cook but you get two differing textures in one steak to make up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Chrz View Post
                  fzxdoc , ... will not eat anything that has cream of anything soup in it..... . I grew up really not liking food, like jfmorris i wanted hot dogs, and burgers, and pizza. Then i realized one day I liked all this stuff, and it was just my parents did not have the time or take the time, likely a bit of both, to make food taste good.
                  I'm a Baby Boomer and it has only been over the past few years that I realized that the mom's of my generation were brain washed into thinking cooking is drudgery, let the pros do it or dump stuff our of a box, mix it with a can of soup and call it dinner. And TV dinners!?! Please.

Maybe its just my way of "stickin' it to the man", but the more things I can cook from scratch, the better. Let the pros do it? The only thing they can do better than me is put those little squigly squirts and drops of sauce around a tiny piece of meat on a plate.

Tomorrow is our 43rd wedding anniversary and I asked my wife if she wants to go out to eat or have me cook something. She said I should cook. We're having Filet Mignons (part of a Porterhouse, so its all on topic ) and her favorite.
                  Last edited by MarkN; September 17, 2019, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• ofelles
                    ofelles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    MarkN Happy Anniversary!
                    And I'm with you on the rest of it.

• Richard Chrz
                    Richard Chrz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Happy anniversary, my wife would prefer me cooking as well vs going out. If I am going out, it is for burgers and fries. Otherwise as I have learned to cook, I just get disappointed now when I eat out. ( of course there are exceptions) . The more I learn about cooking g, I find myself wanting to control more of the ingredients as well. ( grinding my own burger kind of things)

• mountainsmoker
                    mountainsmoker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    MarkN My wife and I feel like you and yours. We feel pretty strongly that we can cook as well as most restaurants and do not feel we have gotten our money's worth most of the times we have come home lately. The one time we will make special plans for a special place is our anniversary. It will be our 45th in December.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here