Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Split brisket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Sounds like ya ticked alla th boxes, done things proper...Nice Job!

I'd haveta reckon what ya had with yer flat was jus that brisket, bein itself...

That's gonna happen...

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    If you get actual bark, foil won't ruin it. Run hotter if you want things to bark up quicker. The top of the flat is the VERY LAST THING to get barked due to all that moisture escaping.

Quit probing your point. Just take it like you did to 208-ish then cambro for a couple hours. Even a 170 oven hold does well for points.

Leave a comment:

• Sweaty Paul
    started a topic Split brisket question

Split brisket question

Did another brisket and changed a couple things and looking for some advice.

Background: I had a 15 lb prime brisket packer. The first thing I did differently was I separated the point from the flat. Dry brined for 42 hours. Rubbed with Black Ops after first injecting it this morning. On Yoder at 250. Cooked for 5 hours with point internal temp being 165-170. Flat was 160.

The second thing I did differently was to wrap the pieces in butcher paper (usually I wrap in foil). The point took 2 more hours and was probe tender at 208. The flat, however, was still only 170-180 and wasn’t probe tender. I cooked it another hour. Temps were 180-198 depending and while the bulk was probe tender there were still areas that seemed to need more time. I pulled the flat. And it joined the point in the faux cambro for 2 hours.

The flat was good. Good flavor and still moist although it was a bit chewier than I would have liked, however, there seemed to be variations between the pieces. The point was outstanding. Kind of wish I could just get points.

Any suggestions on what to do in the future would be appreciated. I pulled the flat because I didn’t want to let it dry out too much. Should I have wrapped in foil? Think I liked the butcher paper for bark preservation better. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here