Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to turn steak into shoe leather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to turn steak into shoe leather

No, this is a serious question. One of my guests tomorrow eats her steaks well done. Do I cook her steak and then just leave it on the other side of the grill while I cook the other steaks?

Do you have an instant read thermometer? Cook hers to 135 and put on the far side of the grill and cook the rest of the steaks. It should reach 155-160 but still be moist. If it doesn't throw it back over the coals for a few minutes.
    We believe that the lowest safe temp for SV is 131F not 140F if and only if it is cooked long enough.

Oops I'm assuming you have a charcoal grill. If you have a gasser there are numerous things you can do. To many to go into here.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 2, 2019, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Just take it to 150-155 then pull it. If done right it'll still taste good. So your normal steaks will come off first then the well done steak. Easy.

Comment

The rule in my house is I'll serve from raw to medium. Anything beyond medium, you supply your own meat. :-)

Comment

• wu7y
          wu7y commented
          Editing a comment
          That reminds me of a sign I saw over a tabletop grill in a NE Wyoming roadside bar/grill/gas station when I was working in the oil patch in my previous life. It read, "This isn't Burger King. You'll get it my way or you won't get the son of a bi..ch at all."

My intention is to warm them in the smoker and put them on the gas grill to sear. I have grill grates on the gasser.

Comment

Yup, when done carefully, a Well Done steak don't haveta be "Shoe Leather"

Havin a lil melted Beef Love to mebbe give a quick paint with, when comin off to serve is another option to (externally) apply some of alla th fat, flavour, an juices, that were dried outta th inside; they can even dunk in a lil jus cup, if ya wish...

If this still doesn't suit their fancy, why, go ahead on, break out th Steak Sauces, Ketchup, etc., an let em have at it, while ya enjoy yer own meal...

Comment

Meant to be funny, not sexist, I just thought it fit the OP.
            Attached Files

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              That is epic! I just printed to hang on the fridge for July 4th, as a cooking reference...

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Now, that there's jus plain funny, I don't care who ya are!

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              I love it!

If they are all the same size maybe start the well done first, maybe the smaller one if that is what you do to get to temperature first. Hopefully you will be using an instant read thermometer and during the sear just cook it to were you need to, I use what what Mr. Bones recommended a little "Beef Love"

Comment

I have a sister-in-law that insists her steak or any meat for that matter be cooked into shoe leather.
              Money saver though, buy 3 really good steaks, then buy her the cheapest cut a crap I can find.
              She's not going to know any better as its cooked to death and then some.

Comment

• Bkhuna
                Bkhuna commented
                Editing a comment
                I was gonna say the same thing.

• Ahumadora
                Ahumadora commented
                Editing a comment
                I too have a sister in law who likes it like sun dried leather. I just find the crappiest piece then dump it on a mound of coals. I do it well done then 10 mins more until it is a hard piece of carbon that you can't even cut. Teach her a lesson...

• Nuke em
                Nuke em commented
                Editing a comment
                I just noticed, why does it seem sisters-in-laws are the only ones in this post want you to cook past well done? Are they jealous and need something to complain about cause they didn’t catch you but there sister did?

If you are reverse searing, I’d start hers early, that way they’ll all be done at the same time and you won’t make a big deal out of waiting for hers to finish. Everyone happy.

Or if you are cutting them yourself, cut hers a little thinner and cook them all together

Comment

Tell her ya don’t know how & have her cook it herself. All you’ll do is probably ruin it anyways.

Comment

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wouldn't do to an old tire what I do to that poor piece of meat, but she loves it....weeell done just below brittle

Warm up and serve shoe leather, that’ll learn her. I got an old pair to donate to the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by phecksel View Post
                  No, this is a serious question. One of my guests tomorrow eats her steaks well done. Do I cook her steak and then just leave it on the other side of the grill while I cook the other steaks?
                  Just start hers 5 to 10 minutes before any of the others. Let it get to 160-ish, and there will be zero pink, and it will be very well done.

Comment

OR, you could just microwave it...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's in th rotation, Brother...
                      Fer Well Done Lovers, I tend to smoke/grill/sear to bout ~150°. an present it fer inspection...if they think it's too Rare, MW, all th way, 15-30 secs per side, on accounta my steak's sitthin there, gittin cold.

This is an actual steak served to Donald Trump. You know what they say at Burger King, have it your way, have it your way...

Comment

• Steve R.
                      Steve R. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I need a drink of water and a toothpick just from looking at that!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here