Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to choose brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to choose brisket

Hi there,

In New Zealand, BBQ brisket is not a common thing at all. My butcher obviously does know what brisket is, but, they seem to cut it really thin, maybe 1 and a half inches thick.

I want to do my first brisket on my Weber and am not sure how to explain to him how I want it cut etc. He also asked if I want it trimmed and I am not sure if I should or not.

If you were to explain to someone how you want brisket, what would you say? They butcher on site and I can request it cut however I want. What are your suggestions?

Cheers,

CP.

Ask if he knows what a full packer is. I say no trim, obviously you don't want part of the sternum. Just get as much of it as you can get. Then you can trim down any excess fat to 1/4-1/8" thick.

I just trimmed 2 to cook tomorrow. Full packers, after the excess fat was trimmed, I had 72% of what I started with, by weight.

Comment

Glad that the brisket master replied. If say he doesn't know what a full packer is (I think packer is a US term), how would you describe it to him?

Comment

"Wannabe brisket master" get it right..hahahha

Both muscles is a full packer. He may just have the flat, since the point is so marbled, they may keep the point to mix for other beef products (it brings plenty fat to the party).

Comment

Okay cool. I think I have enough info now to get him to give me the right thing. They certainly do use the brisket for their Borewors (South African beef sausage with coriander, delicious!).

What sort of time frame do I need to account for doing a full brisket including rest?

Comment

Depending on thickness and 500 other variables, low (225-250) can produce a 12-15 hour cook with another 2 hours for rest.

In my Pit Barrel, with it's efficiency and 250-300 pit temp, I can crank them out in 8-10 hours.

If you can bark it up before serving over some heat, you can wrap at 150-160 internal, and then take to probe tender, which will be anywhere from 195-205.

Cooking through the stall takes a while, but it will be barked up once you get through the stall. I hate having to bark up before serving, and don't always have that option. So I prefer to cook until it is barked up, and then wrap, which is usually around 175-180 internal. Most get to 205ish in 1-1.5 hours, when wrapping after the stall at optimum bark.
            Last edited by Jerod Broussard; March 12, 2015, 04:59 PM.

Comment

So basically I have a very long day ahead of myself... Will need to start at like 3am. Guess just need to set the alarm really... have the fuse all setup and just get it cranking then go back to sleep for a bit.

Sounds like fun. I am kinda scared of tackling this cook though... Would hate to stuff it up and end up with an inedible 3kg hunk of beef.

I like your idea of barkin' before wrappin', would rather have as little to do just before serving as possible. Getting it out the chilly bin and onto a board for cutting sounds like a lot less stressful than trying to bark it up before serving.

Thanks for the advice, O master of thee brisket

Comment

• Craigen Perrie
                Craigen Perrie commented
                Editing a comment
                I haven't bought it yet. Last time I checked at the butcher though it was $22 /kg, should be around 3 - 5kg he said. Keep in mind this is New Zealand dollars.

• Guy
                Guy commented
                Editing a comment
                Craigen Perrie. If my math is right that would be about $7.32 a pound in US dollars. Meat must be high everywhere. I think DW saw a brisket for $6.99 a pound at Kroger's. Anyway Craigen good luck with your cook. Let us know how it goes.

• Craigen Perrie
                Craigen Perrie commented
                Editing a comment
                Ended up costing me $16.99 per KG. Got a 3.3kg brisket for $56 NZD.

It's not bad at all. Only mistake I made, twice, on cheap briskets, was not giving them a warm enough rest. I had both in butcher paper in a cambro with lots of extra air space. Those same cheap briskets, wrapped in foil, in a faux cambro packed with newspaper, will yield awesome results. To me the foil does more to lock in moisture on those low grade dudes.

It takes about 4-5 briskets to fill up my Cambro, and them suckers come out HOT after hours of rest!!!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Guy I have both. The Cambro will hold 5 briskets. I have the basic model. I use the cooler on smaller cooks when possible. The Cambro has shelves and holds them 2 Winco pans very well.

• Guy
                Guy commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Jerod, I don't think I cook enough at once to have anything but a cooler. However, I know you do.

• Guy
                Guy commented
                Editing a comment
                Jerod how do you tell a cheap brisket. I have seen so few I would not be able to tell unless it was the price.

Went well. Can see the pictures here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here