Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck roast cook time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry brine and injected the roast last night. It is a 4.25lb round bone Chuck. Will go into the pit over an oak/mesquite mix after being slathered in hot sauce and rubbed with my rub tonight.

Comment

Hit the stall at a much lower temp than I expected. Around 145°. Had to pull it early, as in the middle of the stall a good sized thunder storm rolled in just now. Crutches it early and into a 225° convection oven it went. Unfortunatelythe bark was not set. Once storm rolls through, I may try to get her back out in the pit until bark is firm. Bet she still eats good though.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Mother Nature must have been angry with the BBQ gods.

Hope the chuckie ate as good as expected.

Kathryn

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        @fzxfoc we will find out today.

Pulled like a dream, SUPER juicy, bark was crap though due to having to crutch early.
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm FINALLY doing my chuck tomorrow, life just keeps on getting in the way.
        Should have repackaged this piece of meat, has been sitting in the fridge in the original cello packaging and now the meat is starting to lose its vibrant red color.
        I sprinkled it with some kosker salt hopefully this slows down dis-colorization.
        And a dry brine something I would not ordinarily do.

Comment

Finally found and authentic chuck roast so giving this another go in the morning.
        Read all these comments from a few weeks ago to plot a game plan.
        Looking forward to this.

Comment

• Foehn Watts
          Foehn Watts commented
          Editing a comment
          You found it. Does it go by another name in your area, or is it just not commonly sold there?

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          You usually won't find anything labelled chuck in Canada. Anything with shoulder or blade in the name is in fact chuck.

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Its not commonly sold here, tried RCSS they had no idea, most other stores meat comes prepackaged so there's no butcher on staff.
          At Metro, who has a butcher in the store, he told me a cut of meat he never gets asked for so never cuts chuck roasts and puts them in the bunker for sale.
          He cut me a chuck roast, it was $18.75 a kilo, mine came out at just over 3K came to $28.05.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here