Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef ribs method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef ribs method?

Picked up some prime beef chuck short ribs. Looking for suggestions on a simple method to cook these. I've only done ribs once and frankly get confused with all the names and cuts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190615_113417.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	695463Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190615_113639.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	695464

Salt and pepper. Cook/smoke 275 for about 6 hrs. 5.5 to 6 hrs is about what it takes when I put a 4 bone rack on. You’ve got individual ribs so it’ll take less time.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect answer. Be sure to dry brine over night. I love lots of pepper myself !!

Dry brine, (leave on membrane)rub down with hot sauce. Add your salt free brisket rub. Smoke over oak & mesquite at 225° around 7 hours until probe tender through both membranes (there is one halfway through on them as well as the one on the back). May take less as yours are singles, I cook them in full plates.

Comment

Those are nice looking short ribs. I quit dry brining small pieces like that overnight. Salt them heavily and use your beef rub. and put them on at 225. They should be ready after 6-7 hours.

Comment

For future reference: debone chuck ribs and treat them like steaks. Wonderful taste. Also makes a great burger grind.

Comment

Thanks fellas! Turned out amazing! Cooked at 225 and actually took 5.5hrs. The first 3 were ready in 4hrs (cambro'd those). The last half of the cook ran at about 240 as I was doing periodic probe checks. With the outside temps around 105 it had a hard time dropping back down. They all probed around 200, but more importantly were probe tender. The flavor was unbelievable!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190616_191849.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	696587

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Did you say outside temps about 105? Dang.

• Rod
            Rod commented
            Editing a comment
            klflowers Yep. Hit 110 about a week ago. However, it's a dry heat. I say that kinda joking.

Not sure why everyone is still hung up on 225* for these. Up the heat and they get done much faster with virtually no difference in the final outcome. But hey, glad they turned out great for you, they look delicious !!

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            It's my BBQ superstition maybe.

• Rod
            Rod commented
            Editing a comment
            I was not hung up on 225. Just stating details of the cook. I would have been fine if it shot up to 275. Just wanted to note it for the next time. Not just for ribs but any cook I do when it's 105 degrees outside.

• AverageJoe
            AverageJoe commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman I did two racks of these on my PBC. No idea what temperature they were running at. I was told not to watch it LOL. Still took 6 hours, but again 4 bone racks instead of individuals.

Congrats on a successful cook. You could save some time, (as Troutman mentioned), by raising the cook temp. I shoot for 250*, but am ok with hotter.

Comment

• Rod
            Rod commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep yep. Just wanted to see what 225ish would get me as a baseline for future cooks. Especially as they were individual bones, I figured that would have sped things up.

I use temp to vary the time the cook is done. If I'm starting at 7AM, 225 is fine. If I start at 10AM, 275 is more like it.

Comment

• Rod
            Rod commented
            Editing a comment
            Makes perfect sense.

Sous vide for 72h at 133. Shock, chill, season, sear, profit.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Funny that you mention that, I just went back and looked at the Chef Steps walk through of their rib cooks at various temps and times. I still like 144* at 24 hr the best, but that's the fun of trying various time/temps with SV !!

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            I think I did 30 hours at 150 last time. Got some in the freezer, maybe this weekend.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Preference is personal.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here