Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket help! What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket help! What would you do?

Hi all, I'm cooking my first brisket - started at 5:30 this morning, wrapped about an hour ago, and probing with two thermometers. Point end is at 210, and flat is at 178. I switched probe ends to verify, and also used independent thermometer at each end. I think the probes are correct - the point end is probe tender and the flat is not. What would you do at this point - keep cooking? i'm thinking bring the flat up to about 190 and let the point go where it will (compromise). I'm planning sandwiches from the flat, and a brisket chili from the point end. Advice????

To add to post - I'm cooking at 250. I also rotated the brisket 180 degrees as viewed from the top, as i know my cooker is hottest at the right end where the point was during almost all of the cook.

Comment

If you're worried about it just separate the point and do whatever it is you're going to do with it. Run your cooker up to 250, rewrap the flat (or not) and plop it back in until done. Jerod Broussard has said don't worry about the point, it'll go along for the ride until the flat is done.

My standard brisket cook these days is to cook the point and flat separately and make burnt ends out of the point when done, so kind of the same thing.

Comment

OK thanks. I think i'll just let it go until the flat is done. I don't think the point will dry out - it seems to be very soft and tender; maybe will be OK for chili. Point is now at 220, flat at 190.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah, you're fine.

On full packers I ignore the point, there's no point.

Thickest part of the flat and nothing else for temp.

Nothing wrong with separating them, but if it was necessary not one smoke house would be smoking full packers.

Comment

Firstly, you done the right thing by asking here at the pit. I would have probably lopped off the point and continued with the flat.

Comment

Point is remaining at 220 and flat is now 198 - waiting!!! 200+ and then into cooler. Hope to have a sandwich about 7PM PST.

Comment

Thanks all for your help - watch "show us" thread later or tomorrow and I'll post results.

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey, us Left-coasters need to help each other out!

Yes, I want to know how this turned out, with a 220ºF point!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here