Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting Picanha Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Picanha Recipe

If you haven't tried Picanha (top sirloin cap) yet you should find a butcher that can get it for you. It is a wonderful, beefy cut of meat that is very easy to cook. Thermoworks shared this on their mass email this morning and it looks like a fun cook: https://blog.thermoworks.com/beef/pi...14638706460680

If you have the PBC vertical skewers, they would work great for the thermoworks recipe.

Ever since my son married a lady from Brazil, I've fallen for Brazilian Steak House Picanha. So, when an email from the PBC Company arrived advertising their

Comment

That's quite a nice writeup. Thanks, CaptainMike .

K.

Comment

Planning on doing picahna on the rotisserie later this season.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Just one? They should be pretty easy to get in Chi-town. I'm going to order one tomorrow just so I can try this method out.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Not a ton of brazillians here, so they tend to take the fat cap off.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah, our butcher did that the first time I asked for one. He doesn't any more and even says it's now one of his favorite cuts. That probably means he's going to raise the price of it!

They have become common here at our local HEB sore. Picked one up the first time I saw one several months ago. I didn't even know what it was, it just looked like a great cut. OMG! It is our new favorite. So many ways to fix these and they are amazing no matter how they are prepared.

Comment

Encountered "picahna" for the first time at costco the other day.
          I want to try this in my PBC.
          any reason I couldn't take one of these to medium well so that SWMBO would eat it?

Comment

Wild Fork Foods has them at a decent price mostly any time. Both prime and choice to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by Finster View Post
              Encountered "picahna" for the first time at costco the other day.
              I want to try this in my PBC.
              any reason I couldn't take one of these to medium well so that SWMBO would eat it?
              Might be best to take to rare+, then cut her portion off for additional treatment.

What's worked well for us in the past is (generally speaking)...
              • Cook on two-zone at 225 for approx 90m
              • When roast gets to 120+, switch to high heat searing until roast reaches 130+
              Target temp for us is around 133+ for tasty goodness. 138-140+ is probably more in the range for SWMBO -- but you'll know your own temps better than we would.

Comment

What about dividing the roast before cooking at all, and handling them separately? Full disclosure, I have made exactly one picanha, so there's that. I used my vertical pellet smoker to get the IT in range before switching to the gasser for searing, but it's the same basic approach. They are at least sort-of equant in shape, not super elongated, and thus ought to be suitable for cutting in two... What do the people with actual experience reckon?

Comment

Finster you didn't mention if that is a whole Picanha or already sliced into portions. A whole one is somewhat triangular shaped, and if cut across the grain will yield "steaks", typically 3 of them roughly 2" thick, unless it's a small one. Here's some pics of one I did, my bride likes them medium which was easy to accommodate with the third cut that is the "point" of the triangle. It's the smallest cut and if left in the same amount of time it gets more done. You can see the differences on the cutting board.

Click image for larger version

Name:	picanha bronco 03.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1254702

Click image for larger version

Name:	picanha bronco 05.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1254703

Comment

• Finster
                    Finster commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sorry, I was a bit unclear.
                    I was commenting based on the video that CaptainMike posted.
                    Looks like you do yours the same way.
                    Cut into steaks, fold over on itself with the fat cap exposed and hung from skewers.
                    Just wondering if the cut can be taken beyond medium without becoming shoe leather.
                    Yours looks fantastic. Ballpark figure on how long you cooked to get to that point?

• Uncle Bob
                    Uncle Bob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I had the probe in it, so that was my pacing indicator.............rough guess on the ballpark is something 30ish minutes.

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Finster I'm sure there's a sweet spot between well done and shoe leather, but my guess is it's a very narrow window. I have never shot for more than medium rare with beef cuts like this, though I have exceeded that from time to time with mixed results. I'm interested in your outcome.

I've been told that ,how one chooses to make the final cut at service will dictate how to make the initial cut. If cutting the picahna roast into individual steaks , cut first WITH the grain into equally thick pieces so that the "eating" cut will be against (across) the grain for chewing. If skewering as pictured, cut roasts against the grain. I believe that's the preferred method!

Comment

We've found that occasionally, the Costco picanha packages may be extra fatty and worthy of a smidge of a trim on the fat cap to make it thinner.

Don't remove it completely -- but serving picanha with an overly thick fat cap may not be as desirable upon eating vs one that was trimmed down a bit beforehand

Uncle Bob photos show a more trimmed fat cap, for example

Comment

Just saw these at the Costco out here. I'm intrigued. Just wonder if it would be all that different from the tri tip I normally do. Sounds like a comparison may be in order...

Comment

• CaptainMike
                        CaptainMike commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Can't beat a tri tip, except with a picanha!

• Livermoron
                        Livermoron commented
                        Editing a comment
                        CaptainMike - that did it. Must. do. comparison cook.

Publix started carrying them, but the picanha they are getting are horrible.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here