Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying Meathead's Rib Roast Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying Meathead's Rib Roast Recipe

Around Christmas I got a choice rib roast on sale and put it in the freezer. I took it out this week and decided to try out Meathead's technique for roasts. Cooked it on my 22" kettle with SnS. This is the first winter where I have been regularly cooking outside and I can really tell the difference in how much fuel a cook uses in the cold. It was around 28°F and with a steady breeze and the cook easily took double the fuel that I am used to.
    This was the first time that I cut off the ribs and tied up the roast. The cylinder shape made for a nice, even cook.
    I think it turned out great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190218_182659 (2).jpg
Views:	130
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	639554Click image for larger version

Name:	20190218_182708 (2).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	639555Click image for larger version

Name:	20190218_230420 (2).jpg
Views:	118
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	639552Click image for larger version

Name:	20190218_230416 (2).jpg
Views:	146
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	639556Click image for larger version

Name:	20190218_230515 (2).jpg
Views:	137
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	639553Click image for larger version

Name:	20190218_230512 (2).jpg
Views:	166
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	639551

Gorgeous!

Comment

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto!

Did similar in December but I mis-timed the start. So it wasn’t going to finish in time. Luckily I was deep frying Brussels sprouts outside.
    I cut the roast into thick steaks, then dropped them in the fry oil until they were up to temp, then slapped them on direct heat over charcoal still dripping with oil. I kept them moving despite the flare ups and they came out juicy with an amazing crust.

Just shows you can never go wrong with a rib roast.

Comment

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Good save Polarbear777 -- One thing I've found out over the years is an expert is an expert as much because he knows good ways to fix or compensate for mistakes and miscalculations!

Got that down to a science. Looks fantastic.

Comment

Homerun!!!

Comment

I want a slice. Beautiful preparation.

Comment

On point, that's an edge-to-edge thing of beauty !!

Comment

I'd say it turned out great too!!

Comment

Nice job , makes me hungry. That is about close to perfect that you can get.

Comment

This was awesome Geekandproud

Comment

That looks awesome!

Comment

That is a very nice piece of meat.

Comment

Thanks for the kudos! Next time I try this I will have to take it out of the freezer sooner. I wanted to cook it Sunday night but ended up cooking it after work on Monday. Didn't finish until after 11pm!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here