Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Aging Brisket - UPDATE

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Aging Brisket - UPDATE

As a followup to another post showing YouTube videos of the results of cooking a 60 day dry aged brisket, myself and Henrik have taken on the challenge of doing some real time testing of our own to gauge the real results. I'm starting this thread as a placeholder for the upcoming cooks.

Henrik is doing a full 60 day, Umai bag dry aging of a full packer. I've decided, for sake of another variable, to do a combination of 45+ days of wet aging plus 45 days of Umai bag dry aging. Not sure how the two equate but we'll see. My full packer was already in the wet age state which is one reason I chose to cut down on the dry. I also cut off the thin front portion of the flat, it was down to about 3/4" and with all the aging and subsequent cooking I didn't want to turn it into dog food. Instead that 4# hunk of the 17# brisket went into cure to become corned beef and eventually QVQ pastrami (another post at a later time).

So here is my roughly 13# point/flat end of my packer in the fridge. Took me a while to get it into the bag, I was having difficulty getting my hands on the 18" bags (only had the 12" variety), ended up just getting them from the Umai people directly after aborted attempts locally and through Amazon. .....

Click image for larger version  Name:	45 day brisket 01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	712.2 KB ID:	628991

Sooo see you all toward the middle of March. Hopefully Henrik will join me here for a joint results post. Follow along, this should be interesting ... I'm pumped up !!!
    Last edited by Troutman; March 10, 2019, 01:56 PM.

Middle of march...torture!

Comment

First Ive heard of these Umai bags. Looking forward to your results and I will research these bags as well. See you in March.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        There is the Umai brand, the Tublin brand and the Lava brand.

Here's a comprehensive write up I did last year dry aging a rib subprimal for 42 days using the Umai bags. Lots of other folks have similar posts her as well WRXRob ....

I realize there have been several of these posts on dry aging of late, but I had started this process almost two months ago so I thought I would go ahead and post this. This is a step

Comment

• Jhirshon
        Jhirshon commented
        Editing a comment
        This is a fantastic resource, thanks so much for sharing1

Nice of you two to take up the challenge and share the results with us it should be interesting. Personally I can't dedicate a shelf in the fridge (even though we have 3 fridge's) for 60 to 90 days. I would give up looking at it and moving it around and wind up cooking it inside a week probably!

Comment

Thanks for creating a separate thread Troutman! My brisket is starting to look real good after a little over 2 weeks. But still plenty to go. Will be real interesting for sure!

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m de-bagging and cooking this weekend Henrik , you getting close????

So, do we end up voting or something? This isn’t a poll is it?

Comment

The Ides of March is coming...

Kathryn

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Beware...

I'm doing a YouTube video on this by the way (in English!), but I still need to wait until March...

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome, that needs to be done !!! I think we're going to find it advantageous to do but not as spectacular as the results we saw on other videos. But, we'll see !!

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, I'm with you. Advantageous, but perhaps not spectacular. To be continued... :-)

Me. Seat. Edge. Just saying

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the progress from you both.

Comment

So, almost 3 weeks in, here's a teaser photo. Not much to see, but it is getting smaller and darker in color. Dry aging in effect. Oh, the pain of waiting!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3397.jpg
Views:	1228
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	630732

Comment

I need to get one on these bags and just do it. I have been talking about it too long. Got them ordered. Looking forward to aging a rib roast.

Comment

• wcpreston
                  wcpreston commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I did a rib roast 30 days and WOW

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep, I have a 13 lb ribeye dry aging as we speak. Two more weeks, then it's time to dig in.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I can't wait! Troutman wcpreston Henrik

One week in, still soft but taking on a nice patina ....

Name:	3076B659-7AFB-465D-B3E0-EA1EE4AA0DBE.jpeg
Views:	1174
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	631162

Comment

Three weeks down, three weeks to go .....

Name:	3FD9B466-B3CE-410B-A546-43B2A9E7C7F6.jpeg
Views:	1165
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	636879

Comment

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Actually I plan on piggy-backing on this thread created by the one and only Troutman. I'm smoking mine on Tuesday next week. Hang in there!

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This is it. Good timing on your question. My aging time is up this weekend, a total of 90 days !!! I’ll post the results next week, good or bad. !!

• wcpreston
                    wcpreston commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Henrik Troutman

Ahr mahr gahrd.....

Ahr cannart wait.....

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here