Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 Small Roasts or 1 Large Roast??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Small Roasts or 1 Large Roast??

I am planning on cooking prime rib for 14 people in about a month. Prime rib is currently on sale right now in the PNW, but I was wondering if you guys thought it would be better to do 1 Large roast or 2 smaller ones.

I am looking to go for about 1 LB per person (I have some large eaters in the family, plus leftovers!)

My concern with a 12-14 LB roast is that i think it may overcook on the outer edges instead of being rare-medium rare all the way through. I have enough room on the Traeger, so multiple roasts wouldn't be an issue. Or am I overthinking this?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

I'd do two smaller ones, cause more seared area...

Jus one opinion...

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep ... +1

Do you have any guests that prefer more well done than your plan? If so, they get the outside pieces. If only one or two guests prefer more cooked, slice very thin so that they get multiple slices of the more cooked beef.

BTW - the ends shouldn't be any more cooked than the rest. If you cook at ~ 225*, the overcooked parts should not be very thick.

Comment

2 smaller roasts - the biggest flavor is in the sear - more surface area.

Comment

Two small roasts. They will cook faster, you can cook to different temps for guest preference, and you can flavor differently. Also, more brown deliciousness.

I don't see an upside to a larger roast other than giant roast for presentation.

Comment

I disagree with every one . I don’t see the benefits of more crust since a slice of roast will have the same crust whether it was off a 12# roast or a 6# roast. I think a larger roast will cook more evenly with less over cooked meat. Make sure you have it separated from the bones and tied up to ensure even cooking. If four people like well done, then do two roasts.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree. You will have less mediumor medium well with one large roast as there are only two endcaps, and it should cook just as fast.

Well I went and bought them over the weekend. I ended up buying a 9.2 LB roast and a 6.7 LB roast. Thanks for all your input! I wont be cooking these till after Thanksgiving but I'll be sure to post pictures!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here