Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High School BBQ Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High School BBQ Team

Well yeah, this is happening in Texas!

jackontheweb.radio.com/blogs/jack-music/ennis-high-school-students-compete-varsity-bbq

If this had been around in CA during my time, I might not have been so embarrassed on film day...

Comment

The high schools here in our area of Texas offer BBQ courses for credit, a suppose as an offshoot of home economics. They also teach skills needed to fabricate their own cookers, so it’s shop meets home ec !!! Anyway good to see future Texas youth are being taught something useful !!!!

Comment

Geez - I might have actually enjoyed high school if that had been happening when I was there.

Comment

I met a fellow who was selling his spice rubs at a local fair this last spring. Turns out that he is a high school teacher in a neighboring community and his classes are all forms of cooking with an emphasis on outdoor cooking and grilling. That would have been so cool if we had something like that. On the other hand, back then nobody cared if we had guns in our trucks at school and I wouldn't trade those days for anything.

Comment

I love it!

Comment

Good to see some useful courses that will give kids skills they can carry through life. Not like maths and speellingg and all that noncence. But seriously, how cool. I wish all schools made it regular practice to teach actual practical skills while making it fun. We don't need to know the major exports of Turkey and Laos, or the capital cities of each African country, but we do need to know how to write a check, change a tire, balance our finances, and cook!

Comment

• JGo37
                JGo37 commented
                Editing a comment
                If only dissecting frogs had taught me back then how to fricassee the legs!

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL again, JGo37 !

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                There's no time for all of that junk, we have to get them to score well on a standardized test. Priorities, man!

That's awesome. I probably wouldn't have realized that I wanted to do that when I was in high school, but still...

Comment

Hate to say it but I was so messed up in high school that I would not have appreciated this. But I love it for today's kids.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                  Jfrosty27 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was thinking the same thing. 😵‍💫🤷‍♂️

http://highschoolbbq.com Wonderful !

Comment

Here ya go, Huskee .

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181106_100110.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	588918

Comment

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Their not very good speellers are thay. puncuation and grammer also sucks, too?

• Finster
                    Finster commented
                    Editing a comment
                    CaptainMike
                    Punctuation is the difference between feeling you're nuts, and feeling your nuts..

Just wanted to update the reference to the National High School BBQ Association - it's https://highschoolbbq.club/ now.
                  Does anyone (by any chance) have information about the Aaron Franklin's Texas-Style BBQ course?
                  Last edited by LukeEarthWalker; April 3, 2020, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Is there anyone here from Texas Barbecue at Texas A&M University? I'm also looking for partnerships (our high school will have its first barbecue summer course). We're interested in Barbecue workshops mostly.

Comment

Here in suburban Chicago our son has taken a wood shop class and a culinary class in his first two years of HS. Both have been valuable. High schools have teams for everything these days, why not BBQ? Cool idea.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here