Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Chuck Roast & Hatch Chile Enchiladas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Chuck Roast & Hatch Chile Enchiladas

Yesterday morning I ran into The Fresh Market to grab a Prime chuck roast. They had just started a health inspection in the meat dept and couldn’t sell anything - ugh. They told me they had plenty though, so I went back after work. Well, they only had the 4 in the case, all just under 2.5 pounds. I was disappointed and one of the guys remembered me from that morning, so... I got the Prime chuck for the price of the choice. 👍🏻

I dry brined it 12 hours. This morning hit it with BBBR and got it on the 26” with SNS XL with hickory chunks by 7am.

Quick aside: I’ve always been a bit lazy and put the meat on before ever getting the kettle up to temp or anything. Never seemed to make a difference. But I guess my ‘Q senses are becoming fine tuned because I started being able to detect the "bitter" smoke taste after some cooks. So this time I thought I’d let the kettle come up to temp and at least get out of the billowing white smoke phase. I know, blasphemy, blue smoke, etc but it never mattered - now it does, and I won’t be in a rush, I’ll be doing it right! AR raises my game another level.

Ok, so then... I let it go from 7am - 3pm at ~245F. It stalled a bit at 155F, but by 3pm it was 178F IT and I was pleased with the bark so I took it off and wrapped it. Threw in a 1/4c of beef broth & Worcestershire sauce and finished it in the oven at 275F. An hour later it was 205 IT and probe tender. I held it for an hour in the oven at 170F. Then pulled it, and man... it was like "meat butter". So rich, smokey and succulent, just amazing. Then my lovely wife, since it’s my birthday "weekend" (finally decided to get in on the extended b-day action myself), at my request added Hatch green chiles to it and made some KILLER enchiladas. Not her favorite thing to do, but I am so happy right now! Glad I got to smoke some meat and have a delicious dinner before we head to the Great Smokey Mountains next week!
    Attached Files

Chuck-a-lastic!

Comment

You had me at Hatch Chile!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        @barefly They actually show up here in NC, don’t even have to mail order. At least 2 groceries here - Harris Teeter and The Fresh Market - will be offering fresh ones. You can get them raw or preroasted, they’ll have them on grills in front of the stores, smells so good. I bought an entire case last year, we just polished them off! Time to make more room in the freezer! 👍🏻

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, you had me at Ha.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, the smell of fresh roasted chile.......nothing better.

In fact, you have me thinking. Green chile brisket tacos with the left over brisket I made last night 😀

That Chuckie right there, it looks good enough to eat! Congrats on a fine job!
      Excellent pics, as well!

Enjoy yer impendin vacation, yall!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        Thankya Mr. Bones ! 👍🏻 Hoping I don’t get separation anxiety being away from my kettles for a week. 😂

Pulled chuck enchiladas with Hatch chilis!!! Oh my! Count me in!!! Well done my friend, well done!!!!

Comment

Sir Charles in the hasienda !!!!

Comment

Smoked chuck roast had become my favorite go to meal. Yours looks fabulous!!!

Comment

I need me some of that.

Comment

Just BOOM 👊
              awesome brother.

Comment

That bark!

Comment

Between you & fuzzydaddy I know what my next cook is shoring up to be.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Me too!

Oh my. Sooooo pretty.

Kathryn

Comment

That sir is outstanding!! Nice work brother. High 5 SWMBO for me.

Along with barelfly I too love the smell of roasting chili.

Smoked pork in a red sauce is also one of my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post

Smoked pork in a red sauce is also one of my favorites.
                      Especially your with your recipe for red enchilada sauce, HouseHomey .

K.

Comment

mmmmmmm...MMH!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here