Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The journey to Pastrami.......just a bit outside of Romania...DONE!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mouth is watering already...looking good Jerod

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I know, that coarse black pepper on that flat says, "Let me get in your belly!!!!!"

Looking good Jerod. I'm sure your patience will be well rewarded!

Comment

Are you planning on documenting the steaming process? Not sure how that works....

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        Yeh, think i'm gonna just get a big deep pan, plenty HOT water, wire rack suspended on foil balls (not quite as big as Pee wee Herman's foil ball), and pop in the oven at 225, and let her rip.

I just put a steamer basket in a roasting pan, added a couple inches of water and heated it over 1 burner till it reached 203. Here's what it looked like. You leave the brisket in the tinfoil it was wrapped in so the steam doesn't remove the rub. MH explains the process in his pastrami recipe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3784.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	59690

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks for this Doc

Jerod I think you're good with that rub layer. The rub is very spicy. If anything the last time I made pastrami I could have used less of the rub.

Comment

Ok.....gotcha

Comment

When I steamed mine, I just put it in a stainless steel steamer insert in my stock pot. The rub didn't come off, but my GF thought the steam made the "crust" too wet and soggy. I thought it was good.

DEW

Comment

Here's mine from a few days ago, I do the wire rack with foil balls idea, but mine I put into a turkey roaster, lid on, steam vents open, and set it stovetop. It straddles two burners, which I keep on low. Just sharing my method, I'm sure any will work.

Name:	IMAG6522.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	59989

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              You stick another probe in that thing and it's going to jump out that pan!!

I was thinking of just putting mine in a pan in the oven (on a rack on foil balls). Probe it, set the oven at 225 or 250...and let her ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
              I was thinking of just putting mine in a pan in the oven (on a rack on foil balls). Probe it, set the oven at 225 or 250...and let her ride.
              I'm thinking that will work as long as it's hot enough to get steam rolling, like how water evaps from the water pan in a smoker. There's really no bad way to do it I would think. I did stove top since that's what Mh's recipe states.

I know this much though- I desalinated mine for 18 hrs, 2 batches of water @ 9 hrs each. When I finished steaming it and tried a bite it was perfect. Later, cold out of the fridge, it needed salt. For me, 15hrs with one batch of water was a bit too salty yet, 18 hrs w/ 2 batches of water pulled a bit too much salt out. Next time I'm thinking 12 hrs (2 @6hrs.)

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                It should produce something at 250. The water should start the evaporative cooling process around 165. I can always bump it up to 300. No wonder people like electric and pellet smokers.

Cooking/Smoking. Doing this in the Pit Barrel Cooker, which is technically a cooker, not a smoker. No wood. Just Kingsford briquettes.

Got the pieces hanging. I went easy on the prelight, and plugged two rebar holes totally. I would like 225-250. 15 minutes in I'm at 250. Gotta like that. I can crack a pipe or two if it wants to eventually dip below 225. Little bit of the rub came off the back of the flat, thinking that might cool off the seasoning some.

No work tomorrow, I got all night, so a 10-12 hour cook is welcomed.
              Last edited by Jerod Broussard; February 6, 2015, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Took about 7.5 hours to get to 205 internal for both pieces. Kinda messed up the rub on the top of the flat. Should still pack some punch. Here is the point at wrapping. They are both in the cambro. Wanted to give them a good warm, slow, cool down. I will chill until Monday afternoon. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010123.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	60380

Comment

Steaming.....finally!!!

I got a BIG deep pan, put hot water in it, placed 4 foil balls in the water, put a wire rack on top that, with the point (pictured above) on the rack resting in its foil it was crutched in. Covered all that with foil. I did 275 for the first hour, then cranked it up to 300 to get it done. I think 300-325 would be suffice for this to get it done in about 2 hours.

Perfect saltiness. Obviously just chewing on pieces of meat, it is gonna be a little on the spicy side. The flat will have the course black pepper.

Name:	P1010128.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	61117
                  Last edited by Jerod Broussard; February 9, 2015, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Udder pics, since the meat came off a cow.

Name:	P1010129.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	61124 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010130.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	61125

Comment

Pretty!!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here