Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NY strip Wagyu prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NY strip Wagyu prep

Not usually fan of NY strip but my local butcher was clearing out the NY Wagyu and got it on the cheap. I was planning to do a cast iron sear and then slice thinly. Any other recommendations or comments on how to best prepare and serve? Thanks.
    Attached Files

Well, you surely do not want to cook out / render the fat too much. So it sounds like you're on the right track!

Comment

Wow! I love strips, they're my favorite. I've never had a Wagyu one but did have an upper Prime once, and it was fan-dang-tastic. If you're not grilling it or giving it any smoke, I'd suggest you make sure you give it a good sear for flavor. I've heard they can get boring w/o the further you get into the feast.

Comment

I would sous vide to rare and then do the cast iron sear. Salt and pepper

Comment

• BourBonQ
          BourBonQ commented
          Editing a comment
          ^ +1

• Sfdrew28
          Sfdrew28 commented
          Editing a comment
          That is one item I do not have.

I've had a number of Wagyu New Yorks, that looks like it might be Australian Wagyu or something similar. With how thick it is I'd reverse sear it. I recently did a side by side of reverse seared vs just seared...the flavor difference was insane. It'll be impossible to render out all that marbling so no matter what you do it will be amazing.

Comment

Thanks JakeT. It’s a New Zealand Wagyu. At $25 a pound I grabbed them. I was tying to avoid the grill tonight as I’m thinking of a brisket in the next day and then pizzas.

Comment

Yeah that's a steal! Which butcher had them? Is it that grocery store in Pacifica you mentioned? The A5 wagyu I've got in my freezer right now I cook on the CI. You could slice one of them into 1/2' slices and throw them on a screamin' hot CI skillet, season with salt and pepper. That's typically how I do the A5 and it's always a big hit.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
              Sfdrew28 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup. Oceana Market. Its not the level of A5 but it’s also not $180 a pound. I’m looking to do that on my 50th in a few months. The NZ First Light wagyu is usually about $80 a pound.
              I think I might go with the slice them less thick and sear.

• JakeT
              JakeT commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice! I recommend the whole striploin from Costco, comes in at around $92/lb but if you slice it into 1/2" steaks and vacuum seal and freeze it'll last a long time. I ended up with 15 individual steaks from mine. I did two at 1".

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here