Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Frozen 32oz Bone in Rib Eye - HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fortin21
    Club Member
    • Mar 2018
    • Mansfield, Ma

Frozen 32oz Bone in Rib Eye - HELP!

I ordered a Grass fed angus 32oz bone-in Rib eye from Crowdcow.com (the olive wagyu looks amazing, thats what got me to the cite to begin with, but its crazy expensive) and it was just delivered fully frozen in dry ice.

My plan was to defrost it, either in the fridge for a day or 2 or in bowl of water on the counter for a few hours, and then reverse sear in on my weber kettle.

According to Crowd Cow however, they suggest cooking it directly from frozen as opposed to letting it thaw out. Seems wrong to me as iv always heard that you want to get your meat close to room temperature before cooking. I also wouldnt be able to insert the leave thermomoter that i need to reverse sear it. I guess i could just put the probe in once its been cooking for a little while..

Any thoughts/suggestions?

-Fortin
  • DeusDingo
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Madison, WI
    • Weber Q320 grill
      Masterbuilt Propane Smoker
      Maverick and thermo Pen thermometers

don't let your steak come to room temperature: https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...m-temp-cooking

a lot of people cook steaks directly from frozen, but those people also pre-brine their steaks before they freeze it.

i would let it thaw a couple of days and then dry brine it a day and then cook it reverse sear.

Comment

• lonnie mac
      Club Member
      • Jul 2016
      • Bacliff, TX
      • Motovlogging for the freedom of old Hippies...

https://www.youtube.com/c/LonnieMac

Home of Brutus Ten!

http://www.alenuts.com/Alenuts/Alenuts.html

Pits:

Weber Performer Deluxe W/ SNS, Craycort CI grates

WSCGC (Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Center W/ SNS Plus, DNG

Texas Original Pits Offset Smoker

RecTec 590

WSM 18" W/ Upside-down door mod

Camp Chief Flattop, The big one...

Weber Genesis II S-335

Texas Fire Pit

Thermos:

Maveric's Most all of em...
        FireBoard W/ Fan Control, GURU Fan
        ThermoWorks, most all of em...
        Meater

I have cooked from frozen, SV frozen meat, but to me, it is still better to do a slow thaw in the ice box for a few days. The meat always seems to come out better that way.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I like that you say "ice box" ... old school, what my parents always called it !!
    • Huskee
      Administrator
      • May 2014
      • central MI, USA
      • Follow me on Instagram, huskeesbarbecue

Want a free bottle of whiskey? Check out my link to Flaviar.com, you join with it, we both get a $50 bottle free.

Smokers / Grills
        • Yoder loaded Wichita offset smoker
        • PBC
        • Grilla Silverbac pellet grill
        • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (SnSK)
        • Dyna-Glo XL Premium dual chamber charcoal grill
        • Weber 22" Original Kettle Premium (copper)
        • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (black)
        • Weber Jumbo Joe Gold (18.5")
        • Weber Smokey Joe Silver (14.5")
        • Brinkmann cabinet charcoal smoker (repurposed)

Thermometers
        • (3) Maverick XR-50: 4-probe Wireless Thermometers
        • (7) Maverick ET-732s
        • (1) Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth (in box)
        • (1) Smoke by ThermoWorks
        • (1) Signals by ThermoWorks
        • Thermapen MkII, orange
        • ThermoPop, yellow
        • ThermoWorks ChefAlarm
        • Morpilot 6-probe wireless
        • ThermoWorks Infrared IRK2
        • ThermoWorks fridge & freezer therms as well

Accessories
        • Instant Pot 6qt
        • Anova Bluetooth SV
        • Kitchen Aide mixer & meat grinder attachment
        • Kindling Cracker King (XL)
        • BBQ Dragon
        • Weber full & half chimneys, Char-Broil Half Time chimney
        • Weber grill topper
        • Slow 'N Sear Original, XL, and SnS Charcoal Basket (for Jumbo Joe)
        • Drip 'N Griddle Pan, 22' Easy Spin Grate, and Elevated Cooking grate, by ABCbarbecue
        • Pittsburgh Digital Moisture Meter

Beverages
        • Favorite summer beer: Leinenkugels Summer & Grapefruit Shandy, Hamm's, Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
        • Fav other beer: DAB, Sam Adams regular, Third Shift amber or Coors Batch 19, Stella Artois
        • Fav cheap beers: Pabst, High Life, Hamm's & Stroh's
        • Most favorite beer: The one in your fridge
        • Wine: Red- big, bold, tannic & peppery- Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauv, Sangiovese, Syrah, etc
        • Whiskey: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, E.H. Taylor, Blanton's, Old Forester 1870, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden's. Neat please.
        • Scotch: Current favorite- The Arran (anything by them), Glenmorangie 12yr Lasanta, sherry cask finished. The Balvenie Double Wood, also like Oban 18yr, and The Glenlivet Nadurra (Oloroso sherry cask finished) among others. Neat please.

About me
        Location: Farwell, Michigan- near Clare. (dead center of lower peninsula)

• Healthcare- Licensed & Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) for MidMichigan Health, a University of Michigan Health System.

It wont hurt it either way. They likely just suggest to cook it from frozen because there's a lot of bad techniques for thawing out there- lay on counter all day, microwave it, etc. So to eliminate THAT, and the bad reviews people might leave crowd cow for bad meat when in actuality they microwave-thawed their steak, they're probably just giving you the safest option all around. You can thaw in the fridge or in water, it won't hurt anything, then salt it. Or yes, just stab the probe in (and salt it) once it's thawed enough on the grill. Personally I would thaw it first.

Comment

• Troutman
        Club Member
        • Aug 2017
        • aka Troutman Taco - Hanging Free in Tejas

• OUTDOOR COOKERS

BBQ ACCESSORIES

WOOD & PELLET PREFERENCES

SOUS VIDE

INDOOR COOKWARE

If it was me I'd thaw in the refrigerator. But if you don't have the time, you can cook it from the frozen state. You just need to adjust your cooking time obviously and bring it up to temp a little slower as not to overcook the outside. You can also throw it into a SV bath fully frozen to the desired finish temp as well.

Comment

• vandy
          Club Member
          • Aug 2015
          • Olive Branch, MS

I reverse sear them straight out of the freezer all the time. I dry brine my steaks for 24 hours when I get them home from Costco then vacuum seal them and freeze them. When I am ready to cook them I take them out of the freezer and the vacuum bag and go straight to the grill using BBQ Dave's cold grate reverse sear method on my Weber kettle, when they get up to 80 degrees IT I flip them and let them go to 110 then take them off the grill and bring them inside and dry them off then put a light coat of EVOO and fresh ground pepper then they go back on the grill over the coals for the sear. They always turn out great every time I cook them like this.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            Club Member
            • Nov 2015
            • The Great State of Jefferson
            • Weber Summit Charcoal Grill w/SnS and DnG (Spartacus)
              Old school big'ol Traeger w/Pro controller (Big Tex)
              2 W22's w/SnS, DnG (1 black, 1 copper) (Minions 1 and 2)
              20+ y/o many times rebuilt Weber Genesis w/GrillGrates (Gas Passer)
              20 x 30 Santa Maria grill (Maria, duh)
              Bradley cabinet smoker (Pepper Gomez)
              36" Blackstone griddle (The Black Beauty)
              Fireboard
              Thermoworks Smoke and Thermapen.

Something else to think about is to vacuum seal it, if not already done so, and let it wet age for a week or so in the "ice box". I'm sure CC has a great aging technique already, but a little more wouldn't hurt and it will give you some time to plan your meal and cooking strategy. Sous vide is the only way I do steaks any more, but reverse sear would be a great way to cook this.
            Last edited by CaptainMike; April 18, 2018, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee is a great source of information concerning wet ageing, and other things....

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the nice words CaptainMike. I've never wet aged (or dry) a steak. I just usually cook them in a day or two. Many of the higher end steaks you buy online have already been "aged" (usually this means wet or they'd specifically say "dry aged") a certain amount of time. I'd investigate this first before wet aging a steak any real length of time.

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              I usually eat mine within a week or so as well, but have gone as long as 30 days with no problems. No real science, just a little research and personal experience. Caveat emptor?
          • CaptainMike
            Club Member
            • Nov 2015
            • The Great State of Jefferson
            • Weber Summit Charcoal Grill w/SnS and DnG (Spartacus)
              Old school big'ol Traeger w/Pro controller (Big Tex)
              2 W22's w/SnS, DnG (1 black, 1 copper) (Minions 1 and 2)
              20+ y/o many times rebuilt Weber Genesis w/GrillGrates (Gas Passer)
              20 x 30 Santa Maria grill (Maria, duh)
              Bradley cabinet smoker (Pepper Gomez)
              36" Blackstone griddle (The Black Beauty)
              Fireboard
              Thermoworks Smoke and Thermapen.

Cool side note: I just visited Crowd Cow's site for the first time and their cover is of a ranch that is about 15 miles north of where we live. I have driven by the Novy ranch many times on my way to flyfish a favorite lake.

Comment

• vandy
              vandy commented
              Editing a comment
              Man how much more convenient could that be! I just wish I had a good butcher shop that close to me.
          • DWCowles
            Founding Member
            • Jul 2014
            • Smiths Grove, Ky
            • Hi, my name is Darrell. I'm an OTR truck driver for over 25 years. During my off time I love doing backyard cooks. I have a 48" Lang Deluxe smoker, Rec-Tec pellet smoker,1 Weber Genesis 330, 1 Weber Performer (blue), 2 Weber kettles (1 black and 1 Copper), 1 26" Weber kettle, a WSM, 8 Maverick Redi Chek thermometers, a PartyQ, 2 SnS, Grill Grates, Cast Iron grates, 1 ThermoPop (orange) and 2 ThermoPens (pink and orange) and planning on adding more cooking accessories. Now I have an Anova sous vide, the Dragon blower and 2 Chef alarms from Thermoworks.

I have a Wagyu ribeye that will be here tomorrow. I'm just going to let it thaw in the fridge and probably cook it Friday.

Comment

• lonnie mac
              Club Member
              • Jul 2016
              • Bacliff, TX
              • Motovlogging for the freedom of old Hippies...

https://www.youtube.com/c/LonnieMac

Home of Brutus Ten!

http://www.alenuts.com/Alenuts/Alenuts.html

Pits:

Weber Performer Deluxe W/ SNS, Craycort CI grates

WSCGC (Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Center W/ SNS Plus, DNG

Texas Original Pits Offset Smoker

RecTec 590

WSM 18" W/ Upside-down door mod

Camp Chief Flattop, The big one...

Weber Genesis II S-335

Texas Fire Pit

Thermos:

Maveric's Most all of em...
                FireBoard W/ Fan Control, GURU Fan
                ThermoWorks, most all of em...
                Meater

SV Everything did a fun little experiment a few weeks ago. Noting scientific but fun.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
              Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
              See more
              See less
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
              The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
              The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
              The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
              The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
              The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
              We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
              Stylish and Affordable
              Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
              Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
              A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
              Webers™ Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
              GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
              The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
              This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
              A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
              FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
              Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
              Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order