Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen 32oz Bone in Rib Eye - HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen 32oz Bone in Rib Eye - HELP!

I ordered a Grass fed angus 32oz bone-in Rib eye from Crowdcow.com (the olive wagyu looks amazing, thats what got me to the cite to begin with, but its crazy expensive) and it was just delivered fully frozen in dry ice.

My plan was to defrost it, either in the fridge for a day or 2 or in bowl of water on the counter for a few hours, and then reverse sear in on my weber kettle.

According to Crowd Cow however, they suggest cooking it directly from frozen as opposed to letting it thaw out. Seems wrong to me as iv always heard that you want to get your meat close to room temperature before cooking. I also wouldnt be able to insert the leave thermomoter that i need to reverse sear it. I guess i could just put the probe in once its been cooking for a little while..

Any thoughts/suggestions?

-Fortin

don't let your steak come to room temperature: https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...m-temp-cooking

a lot of people cook steaks directly from frozen, but those people also pre-brine their steaks before they freeze it.

i would let it thaw a couple of days and then dry brine it a day and then cook it reverse sear.

Comment

I have cooked from frozen, SV frozen meat, but to me, it is still better to do a slow thaw in the ice box for a few days. The meat always seems to come out better that way.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I like that you say "ice box" ... old school, what my parents always called it !!

It wont hurt it either way. They likely just suggest to cook it from frozen because there's a lot of bad techniques for thawing out there- lay on counter all day, microwave it, etc. So to eliminate THAT, and the bad reviews people might leave crowd cow for bad meat when in actuality they microwave-thawed their steak, they're probably just giving you the safest option all around. You can thaw in the fridge or in water, it won't hurt anything, then salt it. Or yes, just stab the probe in (and salt it) once it's thawed enough on the grill. Personally I would thaw it first.

Comment

If it was me I'd thaw in the refrigerator. But if you don't have the time, you can cook it from the frozen state. You just need to adjust your cooking time obviously and bring it up to temp a little slower as not to overcook the outside. You can also throw it into a SV bath fully frozen to the desired finish temp as well.

Comment

I reverse sear them straight out of the freezer all the time. I dry brine my steaks for 24 hours when I get them home from Costco then vacuum seal them and freeze them. When I am ready to cook them I take them out of the freezer and the vacuum bag and go straight to the grill using BBQ Dave's cold grate reverse sear method on my Weber kettle, when they get up to 80 degrees IT I flip them and let them go to 110 then take them off the grill and bring them inside and dry them off then put a light coat of EVOO and fresh ground pepper then they go back on the grill over the coals for the sear. They always turn out great every time I cook them like this.

Comment

Something else to think about is to vacuum seal it, if not already done so, and let it wet age for a week or so in the "ice box". I'm sure CC has a great aging technique already, but a little more wouldn't hurt and it will give you some time to plan your meal and cooking strategy. Sous vide is the only way I do steaks any more, but reverse sear would be a great way to cook this.
            Last edited by CaptainMike; April 18, 2018, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee is a great source of information concerning wet ageing, and other things....

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the nice words CaptainMike. I've never wet aged (or dry) a steak. I just usually cook them in a day or two. Many of the higher end steaks you buy online have already been "aged" (usually this means wet or they'd specifically say "dry aged") a certain amount of time. I'd investigate this first before wet aging a steak any real length of time.

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              I usually eat mine within a week or so as well, but have gone as long as 30 days with no problems. No real science, just a little research and personal experience. Caveat emptor?

Cool side note: I just visited Crowd Cow's site for the first time and their cover is of a ranch that is about 15 miles north of where we live. I have driven by the Novy ranch many times on my way to flyfish a favorite lake.

Comment

• vandy
              vandy commented
              Editing a comment
              Man how much more convenient could that be! I just wish I had a good butcher shop that close to me.

I have a Wagyu ribeye that will be here tomorrow. I'm just going to let it thaw in the fridge and probably cook it Friday.

Comment

SV Everything did a fun little experiment a few weeks ago. Noting scientific but fun.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here