Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All the best laid plans... Chuckie Frustration 😣

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the best laid plans... Chuckie Frustration 😣

I just had to try something new again, so my wife picked up a 3.6lb prime chuck roast from The Fresh Market. I dry brined it last night at 5pm. 6:30am today I hit it with BBBR, and had it on by 7am. Gear was 26Ò€ with SNS with water, Weber briquettes and hickory chunks, and Weber iGrill2. I wanted to avoid wrapping if possible because our family prefers a significant bark, and I thought maybe since it’s prime it won’t be dry. Ambient temps were steady around 235F, and I hit a stall at 145F from 11am - 1pm, before it slooowly started climbing. By 4pm it was still only 155F and I was running low on fuel so I added fuel and one small hickory chunk. At this point I was keeping it around 275-285 hoping it’s not going to be breakfast tomorrow. And off it went! For an hour. It seems to have hit a 2nd stall at 170F at 5pm, so at 6pm (still at 170F) I gave up, took it off and wrapped it with 1/4 cup of beef broth and it’s in the oven. It looked gorgeous and smelled devine, but my plan is to pull it so I’m not even going to check probe tenderness until 200F and expect I’ll need 207 or so.

As always, looking for help, criticisms, anything you can offer up. Not sure what I would do differently except give up on the idea of a nice bark and wrap earlier as I read on the site. Oh, also looking for snacks - I’m starving!

I’ll post final pics and the family verdict if/when it comes out of the oven tonight...

Thanks!

UPDATE:

A) I clearly need to just follow directions (hi, mom!)
    B) I am (still) lacking in patience

45 min in the oven at 275F and it hit 205F internal. Very tender, not dry. REALLY good, wife and kid have never had anything like it and are thrilled - it gets a 9 out of 10. Point lost for being a little too spicy for my baby girl. Thanks to all of you who’s posts I researched beforehand, and all the help afterwards! πŸ‘Γ°ΕΈΒΒ»
    Attached Files
    Last edited by FishTalesNC; April 14, 2018, 05:17 PM. Reason: updated with final results

FWIW: I always cook a little hotter than that. Long cooks almost always around 275 or so. Probably more important, on a long cook, is always allow at least 4 and maybe 6 hours than you think you will need. If the meat spends that extra time in the faux cambro, all the better!!! Certainly better that than having family or guests hungry and waiting!!! It's done, when it's done, not before! It'll be great when you get there. Hopefully the diners are patient! Good lucK!

Comment

Even prime I crutch with paper, and no broth. Once Crutched, bring tem up to 275-300

Comment

Never start a serious chunk of meat AT SUNRISE OR LATER to consume later that day unless you are in the Hot and Fast Crowd.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          Solid advice! I don’t seem to learn quickly, and am hesitant to trust the kettle to run overnight while I sleep. At this point of my very short career I think I’m ok with hot & fast on pork butts, the rest I’m still trying to stick to the low & slow. Grill and learn...

I always cook them at 250*, wrapped when IT temp is around 175* then it’s usually at 210* before it’s probe tender at which time it goes in the cambro for 1-2 hrs.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Bingo. But if time permits I’ll cambro for 3-4hrs.
          BTW the results show for themselves. Beautiful. Nice job.

That's one stubborn Chuck (I used to work with him, uhh!). All I got is wrap it at 160, but haven't had a Chuck act like that, except for the one that I worked with.

Comment

Doing one tomorrow so it's probably going to be as big of a pain in the butt as yours (And the Chuck that I worked with, who I love like a brother, btw)

Comment

• FishTalesNC
            FishTalesNC commented
            Editing a comment
            Good luck, I hope yours is much more agreeable!

I don't like cooking through the night either, FishTalesNC . I'm with you on that one.

That chuck looks nice and thick, and of course cook time is dependent on thickness. You really had a great result, though. Congrats!

Kathryn

Comment

• FishTalesNC
            FishTalesNC commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks fzxdoc, I found a lot of chuckie help from you when I searched the forums beforehand - much appreciated!

Beautiful!

Comment

The result looks worth the wait! Throw on a rack of ribs around noon and you will have snacks if the cook goes long.

Comment

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              now there’s a great idea!

Very nice! I don't go as heavy on the rub. Like to let the meat do the talking.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
              DogFaced PonySoldier commented
              Editing a comment
              Ditto that. I find BBBR to be too high in pepper, and I don't rub that heavily, either.

• FishTalesNC
              FishTalesNC commented
              Editing a comment
              I completely agree with you guys. That was my first time ever using BBBR and also the heaviest I’ve ever laid on a rub. I need to chill, been watching too much Man, Fire, Food I think.

That's a beautiful bark on that chuckie!! Looks like all ended well but I don't ever recall dealing with a 3lb or so chuckie that stalled for so long. I usually run around 250 pit temp. I do pan mine around 170 or so with some beef broth and dark beer onions and peppers in the bottom of the pan. I don't cover the pan though so it's kind of a hybrid braise/crutch thing that goes on.
            Works out great every time!

Comment

The crutch is a life saver! Great looking chuckie!

Comment

Looks delicious to me! I'd say you did a good job. In the future don't fear the crutch. Just wait long enough to let the bark set. And don't use too much broth that the steam softens the crust significantly. That has worked well for me. But I like to serve my Chuckie Brisket style. So I only take it up to 185 f then rest and slice.

Comment

Good looking chuck. Im a bark lovet too.I typically will crutch from 170 to 195-200. Then put the roast back on the smoker for 45 min to firm up the crust.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here