Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All the best laid plans... Chuckie Frustration 😣

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Great lookin chuckie, an an educational post, as well!
    Fine Job, Sez I!

Leave a comment:

• Frozen Smoke
    replied
    Well, don't be scared not to crutch either..

Leave a comment:

• FishTalesNC
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks fzxdoc, I found a lot of chuckie help from you when I searched the forums beforehand - much appreciated!

• FishTalesNC
    replied
    Thanks y’all, learned a lot and your comments help me confirm some things in my mind. When I woke up today I decided it went better than I thought really, just my first double stall threw me for a loop. I *was* afraid to crutch, but still had that nice bark even after wrapping it with broth for 45 min. Never expected that. No longer scared to crutch! 😬

Leave a comment:

• FishTalesNC
    commented on 's reply
    I completely agree with you guys. That was my first time ever using BBBR and also the heaviest I’ve ever laid on a rub. I need to chill, been watching too much Man, Fire, Food I think.

• JTpellets
    replied
    Good looking chuck. Im a bark lovet too.I typically will crutch from 170 to 195-200. Then put the roast back on the smoker for 45 min to firm up the crust.

Leave a comment:

• Steve B
    commented on 's reply
    Bingo. But if time permits I’ll cambro for 3-4hrs.
    BTW the results show for themselves. Beautiful. Nice job.

• PJBowmaster
    replied
    Looks delicious to me! I'd say you did a good job. In the future don't fear the crutch. Just wait long enough to let the bark set. And don't use too much broth that the steam softens the crust significantly. That has worked well for me. But I like to serve my Chuckie Brisket style. So I only take it up to 185 f then rest and slice.

Leave a comment:

• Butchman
    replied
    The crutch is a life saver! Great looking chuckie!

Leave a comment:

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    commented on 's reply
    Ditto that. I find BBBR to be too high in pepper, and I don't rub that heavily, either.

• Frozen Smoke
    replied
    That's a beautiful bark on that chuckie!! Looks like all ended well but I don't ever recall dealing with a 3lb or so chuckie that stalled for so long. I usually run around 250 pit temp. I do pan mine around 170 or so with some beef broth and dark beer onions and peppers in the bottom of the pan. I don't cover the pan though so it's kind of a hybrid braise/crutch thing that goes on.
    Works out great every time!

Leave a comment:

• smokenoob
    commented on 's reply
    now there’s a great idea!

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Very nice! I don't go as heavy on the rub. Like to let the meat do the talking.

Leave a comment:

• jgreen
    replied
    The result looks worth the wait! Throw on a rack of ribs around noon and you will have snacks if the cook goes long.

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    Beautiful!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here