Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to smoke roast beef. Help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to smoke roast beef. Help!!!!

My Knights of Columbus church group somehow messed up the Christmas dinner planning and bought 2 extra hunks of roast beef. Each on is like 30 pounds. It’s been in a deep freezer. Now I started to plan for our annual bbq that I host each year and they want me to smoke the roast beef! Has anyone every heard or tried to smoke roast beef? They also asked me why can’t I just get some crockpots and throw them in there with some bbq sauce 😫. So trying to see if it’s doable to use this meat for the bbq somehow. Thanks.

ps. If you have, please give details. Temp, time, type of rubs, wrapped to keep moist?

I would head toward Italian beef, sliced thin slowly simmer or crockpot cooked with Louie’s Italian beef au jus seasoning...

Comment

If you've dreaded stuff that passes for roast beef and wished you could find the real deal then this Baltimore pit beef recipe is for you.

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 Cut down into manageable sizes and then cook along the line of Baltimore pit beef. I did about 35 lbs for a gathering and it was actually quite easy to get done and serve.

Do you need to leave it in such big chunks? I'm thinking 30 # at 225* shouldn't take more than 6 weeks. Cutting them in half would give you 4 15# pieces. They would be much more manageable.

Comment

• Dwaynereis
        Dwaynereis commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I’m cutting in half. But trying to figure out how long to cook for 2 15 pound pieces

Almost forgot...Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

What cut is this? I would suggest cutting them down even more. 5# chunks would be more manageable.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit - sorry I forgot earlier.

We need more info. What temp do you want to pull it at?

med rare ~ 130* to 135*
          med ~ 140* to 145*
          well ~ don't remember 'cause I never cook beef well done except when I want pulled chuck, brisket, or short ribs. With 4 hunks, you could cook them to different temps.

What temp are you thinking about cooking at?
          And it wouldn't hurt to know what you are cookin' in.

Comment

• Dwaynereis
            Dwaynereis commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn’t look at the cut but will Sunday. I’ll probably take medium as to they want to do chopped up at sauce for sandwiches. I have a pellet grill, a fire pit grill, and a propane smoker. I wanted to use the pellet grill. I can do 4 hunks but the most important thing is having it done at noon.

• Dwaynereis
            Dwaynereis commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s top round sirloin

The total cooking time depends on the IT temp which means you will need a dependable meat thermometer like the Thermopen, Maverick, Fireboard, etc.
          Last edited by DWCowles; March 9, 2018, 09:37 PM.

Comment

I don’t care how long as to I’ll be up most the night anyways but just need it done around noon. I’m mainly trying to figure the temp to pull (which you stayed) and how long I need to cook them on average

Comment

Maybe this will answer your questions.
              Smoking a beef roast is the best way we’ve found to get the deep smokey flavor we love in smoked roast beef.

Comment

For what it’s worth I do the Baltimore pit beef a lot lately. Looking back at my fireboard sessions I cooked a 6 lb roast at 225 for 2 1/2 hours average. I would give it 3 hours. Also I have a commercial slicer so I can cut it paper thin. That is the key. The Baltimore pit beef is my go to smoke when I don’t wanna take all day cooking some meat. Ie it should be called lazy mans Baltimore pit beef. Oh the sauce is awesome for the sandwhich
                When im really lazy, I just slap it on the gasser with smoke and put it on a rotisserie. Then I sit down eat drink some beer and watch nascar. It’s good stuff
                Click image for larger version

Name:	A450F5BB-3C58-4520-BF9A-68FA47AA6E8C.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	465048

Name:	6275B07B-6F68-4A82-A8B0-C661EC488EAA.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	465049

Name:	BCA65735-DE11-4644-BFF8-77F38A995856.jpeg
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	465050

Name:	FC6D08F7-1C8A-4D29-B0F6-751D71943A16.jpeg
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	465051

Name:	A789B8EA-7B27-4435-8EA4-37173BED8C34.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	465052
                And and a few homemade corn chips

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That looks awesome. I’ve got a de-boned prime rib I’m thinking about doing on my rotisserie, will thick slice as a roast.

Oh and make sure you slice against the grain.

Comment

There are some roasts that are pretty tough cuts. There are some that are very tender. If yours is a tender cut then I would pull them off at medium. If not then it's a different cook altogether. In that case I might consider cooking like a chuck or brisket. Keeping it from drying up is the tricky thing. With a smaller amount I would have suggested a 3 day sous vide, but that's probably not possible for as much as you have.

Comment

• Dwaynereis
                    Dwaynereis commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It’s top round sirloin

I have the same question, what are the exact cuts we’re talking about here? We talking shoulder clods or chucks, are you into the rib sections? That all would better narrow cooking times and temps.

Comment

• Dwaynereis
                    Dwaynereis commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It’s top round sirloin

Do you have a sous vide? If so, I'd suggest cooking and chopping the day before. You could add the sauce too - if you want. Then seal in either vacuum bags or a double layer of zipper bags and refrigerate. Put the sealed bags in the sous vide two or three hours before serving time. That will do two things. It will heat the meat and help tenderize it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here