Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The dry-brine....the journey begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carolts View Post
    That looks amazing!

Let me see if I've got this right...

Dry brine with Kosher salt for approx. 2 days
    Make a fire with about 20 total briquettes in PBC (started in a chimney then dumped in?)(Cold here too, so I went with 20)
    Goal temp for PBC is 225
    Cook steak to 110 internal (was that for med. rare final steak or rare?)
    Do the vortex/just over the flame thing (I should be able to do this in my Primo no problem)

I'm a little slow on this reverse sear thing...do you hold the steaks off the grill for any length of time? If I'm doing multiples (like three), do I sear them in sequence (refer to previous question about any consequence to holding them off the grill)?

I hadn't thought of using only a few briquettes in the PBC, as everything I've seen talks about loading it up. I wasn't sure if fewer briquettes somehow killed the voodoo magic.

A local restaurant here does something they call a cold-smoked filet. It tastes amazing. I'm hoping I can at least get close to that taste with this process if I add a few wood chips to the PBC. I've got some steaks in the fridge I can try this on today.
    110 will be very rare, this is the temp range when you should begin searing if you want a finished rare (which is more like 125). A good rule of thumb is to start the sear when you're 10-15 degrees from your target. If you want medium rare of 135 for instance, take off and start searing around 120-125, etc. Rotate it to avoid definite grill marks about every 15-30 sec (unless you want grill marks), flip it every minute-90 secs. Repeat this process until your target temp is finally reached. It can be a hassle when doing multiples, there's a lot going on especially while watching temps and flare ups.

You don't need to hold the steaks off the grill for any length of time, unless you just can't do all three at once.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here