Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The dry-brine....the journey begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dry-brine....the journey begins

Plenty Kosher. 48 hours should get my favorite electrolytes down, down, down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141229_163904.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	45838 m

What are you making their?

Comment

Whatcha cooking that on?

Comment

That is a Prime Dry-Aged ribeye I plan to grill using the reverse sear method on Wednesday. In no time the Kosher was dissolved.

Gonna use 7 briquettes in the Pit Barrel and bring her up to 115 internal.

Then use bricks (to hold the briquettes) in my shiny new Weber Kettle that will hopefully be here by tomorrow, to reverse sear.

Comment

Only one? There should be room for, say, 2 Prime ribeyes on your shiny new Weber kettle. Just a thought.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            I gifted one to the contractor/minister that built our million dollar private school. He preached our Christmas service last Sunday. He grills ALL THE TIME. I made sure he understood I didn't purchase it, I was simply re-gifting. Plus, had I kept it, my wife would have wanted it, and wanted it well-done.

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            OMG, we absolutely couldn't have that.

NICE. Have you got a way to get the coals close to the meat? High sear heat is crucial... and lots of flipping...

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Mini brick pit. Grate right ontop....you'll see.

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            I hope so. Can't wait! We need a copper kettle thread!

Looking forward to it Jerod. You're building your own brick vortex/afterburner in your kettle, with the grate on the bricks and the coals millimeters under the grate, no?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Dead on. Won't be getting my Vortex til next week.

I actually used the afterburner method on my last one since it was just one steak, all you need is a chimney and coals.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            I modified my chimney to dump easier in the Pit Barrel. Won't work on mine. Mini-brick pits are cooler anyways.

Just flipped her. You can see some white staining on the firm lipids.

Name:	20141230_161721.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	46286

Comment

JB I started a new kettle thread: http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...er-kettle-time

Did you get yours?

Comment

Name:	image_4989.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	46833 Had her in the Pit Barrel until 110 internal, then r​everse seared.

There was absolutely NO moisture on the surface of the meat to dry off before reverse searing. 2 day dry brine did the trick. No pepper, no nothing. Just a little oil while reverse searing.

Then I dug in. WOW!!! On the flavor. Forgot to take a pic until I was almost done with the steak. Ma bad. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010071.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	46832Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010067.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	46830 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010070.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	46831

Last edited by Jerod Broussard; December 31, 2014, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Now THAT's how you break in a kettle. Nice!

• FLBuckeye
                FLBuckeye commented
                Editing a comment
                I use three bricks to raise my coal grate up. Going to get a fiurth brick and try your technique

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                For one steak, it works well. Next time I need to get some thin steaks to cook on the coals after I finish reverse searing.

Looks pretty good, so was it worth the extra money for dry aged?

Comment

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                As a splurge yes it is. Definitely.

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                It makes those things like butter just handling them before cooking. No choice but to like this stuff.

How many briquets did you need for the low and slow on the PBC? I don't suppose you remember giving me grief over that a few months back

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                I started with 8. I put them by the vent. But they wouldn't get hot enough. Kinda cold and windy. I dumped another 10-12, which were not piled up, just scattered. And finally got it up to 225.

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice. I did low and slow on PBC the other day and had to use about that many coals too.

Nice pics! I like the flamey steak one.
              Last edited by Huskee; December 31, 2014, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                I was flipping that sucker every 20 seconds and it was still crusting up. That B & B gets HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!

That looks amazing!

Let me see if I've got this right...

Dry brine with Kosher salt for approx. 2 days
              Make a fire with about 20 total briquettes in PBC (started in a chimney then dumped in?)(Cold here too, so I went with 20)
              Goal temp for PBC is 225
              Cook steak to 110 internal (was that for med. rare final steak or rare?)
              Do the vortex/just over the flame thing (I should be able to do this in my Primo no problem)

I'm a little slow on this reverse sear thing...do you hold the steaks off the grill for any length of time? If I'm doing multiples (like three), do I sear them in sequence (refer to previous question about any consequence to holding them off the grill)?

I hadn't thought of using only a few briquettes in the PBC, as everything I've seen talks about loading it up. I wasn't sure if fewer briquettes somehow killed the voodoo magic.

A local restaurant here does something they call a cold-smoked filet. It tastes amazing. I'm hoping I can at least get close to that taste with this process if I add a few wood chips to the PBC. I've got some steaks in the fridge I can try this on today.
              Last edited by carolts; January 1, 2015, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here