Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef on Weck to watch the Bills game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef on Weck to watch the Bills game

As anyone from Western New York knows, Kimmelweck rolls self-destruct when you leave the region. Living on the North Shore in Mass. you don't see one too often. Since my husband is from Lancaster NY (near Buffalo), I decided to surprise him with Beef on Weck for the final Bills game of the season.

Beef on Weck is thin-slice roast beef dunked on au jus and served on a Kimmelweck roll. These are crusty rolls with salt and caraway seeds on top. I'm not much of a baker, but it came out pretty well.

For the beef:
    the day before...
    bottom round roast coated with kosher sea salt, fresh ground back pepper, and rosemary
    cooked on the Primo Jr. indirect to an internal temp of 130
    refrigerated overnight
    the day of...
    remove from fridge and slice thin

For the rolls:
    the day of...
    follow the recipe in the link

Final prep:
    heat beef consume in a small sauce pan
    slice the rolls just before using
    dip slices of beef in the consume and place on bottom half of roll
    dip top of roll in consume
    serve with horseradish or horseradish sauce, depending on preference

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_4870.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	45711

Name:	image_4872.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	45712

Name:	image_4871.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	45710
    Last edited by carolts; December 29, 2014, 11:03 AM.

Beautiful. Beef on Weck is a great food.

Comment

Never heard of it but, it sure does look good and your narrative makes it sound even better.

For not being much of a baker you sure could fool a lot of folks. Those rolls looked first class.

Comment

• carolts
        carolts commented
        Editing a comment
        I got lucky, Marauderer ;-) Won't cook them quite as long next time. A good gas oven can do wonders for bread. If I had thought it through I could have cooked them on the Primo too but I'm not sure I can control the temp well enough yet.

Yum yum! Haven't heard it called weck in a long time. Trivia tidbit: Buffalo Wild Wings used to be called BW3 (which is why myself and many other fans still call it "B-Dubs") The third W stood for weck. Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        @Carolts, I've heard Hooters wings are good. I'm in love w/ BDubs and my wife isn't a fan of me going to Hooters, lol. So I've never had them.

• HC in SC
        HC in SC commented
        Editing a comment
        I was also told that by a co-worker (the 'weck' part of BWW) and called BS - looks like I have an apology to deliver....LOL

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        HC, I read it on their menus years ago when it was still called "BW3". The story was about the "3" part of the name, referring to three Ws.

Looks just like the real thing. Awesome job.

Comment

Sounds good, never heard of it.

Comment

It's a WNY (Buffalo area) delicacy. Like Hot Baloney sandwich in West Virginia, or Maryland crab cakes. It's actually quite good. You can get it most anywhere in the Buffalo area, along with Buffalo wings (duh!) and Fish Fry on Friday night.

Comment

Not sure why the link doesn't take you to the recipe, but if you search "kimmelweck" on the site there's only one recipe.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              vBulletin likes to simplify links to the main site instead of the path you actually are trying to paste (I don't know the proper IT jargon for that mess). But if you head to the Welcome & Announcements channel, there's a post in there called "PLEASE READ, how to post links" or something similar. It outlines the best & cleanest way to post them, besides good ol' copy & paste which can be long.

Is it important to let it sit overnight after cooking and then heat up the next day, or can I cook it and eat it same day?

Comment

• carolts
              carolts commented
              Editing a comment
              I just always find it easier to slice thin if the beef is cold but I don't see any reason not to do it the same day. The way the beef smelled we nearly did!

Being that roast beef has always been my favorite hero/sub/hoagie/grinder, I was in heaven when I had my first beef on weck when visiting a friend at SUNY Buffalo years ago. Had a handful of business trips there and used to get my fill of Duff's each time. Unfortunately, it's been a couple of decades since I've been there.

Comment

• carolts
              carolts commented
              Editing a comment
              I love Duff's! Been a little over a year since I was there.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here