Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

15 pound whole packer...UNTRIMMED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post

​Yep that's typical. Watch you don't cook all the moisture out of the meat. Is it tender?

Tender? It better be! The bark is looking good and didn't feel hard. The foil is back on and the temp is immediately increasing

Comment

Originally posted by LowandSlow View Post

Tender? It better be! The bark is looking good and didn't feel hard. The foil is back on and the temp is immediately increasing

I asked if it's tender because that's the indicator if it's done. If it's really tender and the meat is in at least the high 180s, you should take it off the heat and cambro it. It's probably as good as it's gonna get

Comment

I don't know how to tell if its tender. Never really been a touch feel kind of a guy, just always went off of looks.

Comment

Poke it with your probe. If it goes in like butter you know it's ready for cambro.

Comment

It feels like butter in some spots, but not all. I could just be hitting fatty areas. I see on the brisket page it states 200-205 and I'm used to butt which is 195-203. Should I yank this when I see 195 or 200? I'm at 189 right now. I'm hoping to pull no later than 7 (Eastern).

Comment

Pulled it after 13 hours when it hit 200. Its resting in this cooler bag on a tray with a towel wrapped around. I'm gonna give it two hours.Click image for larger version

Name:	15 lb cambro.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	45494

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Neato, looks you running a pizza, I mean brisket parlor.

You want to probe for tenderness and temp in the thickest part of the flat. Probe tender or 203-205-ish, whichever comes first.

Comment

I agree with Jerod. In this case probe tenderness is likely to come earlier than 203-205 because you opened the wrap and the meat cooled off due to evaporative cooling... then it started heating back up. The meat spent a lot of time above 180F, which is a good temp range for the collagens and such to melt away and give you tender meat. Once they are melted away it's as tender as it's going to get and it'll just dry out if you keep cooking.

When you're resting meat it's important to keep as much heat as possible. This allows some of the moisture to get pulled back into the meat. If you have more towels you can wrap around that cooler bag I'd recommend you do that.

We want to see pics when she comes out for the guests!

Comment

If you guys are both right, I hope you're not, I'm still whipping up some Texas Barbecue juice (thanks to Jerod's help on my last brisket) so it should help: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_s...mop-sauce.html

I've had juices and rendering galore with this "beast"!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                    Jerod Broussard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You should be alright. 2+ hours of a good warm rest really helps even things out. I've had two lower quality briskets that did not receive the proper "warm rest" and were less than ideal. Even though they were taken to 205 internal.

Here is the money shot, in my opinion:

Click image for larger version

Name:	15 lb money smoke ring.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	45581

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow!! look at that color. Can't teach that my friend!!

That looks pretty darn good. Were you happy with the result?

Comment

• LowandSlow
                    LowandSlow commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very happy! The middle of the flat was a little dry for me, but my Dad sure loved it! Thanks for all the advice throughout the day!!

• David Parrish
                    David Parrish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You bet. Glad to help!

Awwwyeah! NICELY done there partner! That is a purdy, picture perfect brisket!

Comment

What a day! The family was very pleased and full from this wonderful brisket and my wifes fixins!Click image for larger version

Name:	15 lb st8 out of foil.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	45605 Click image for larger version

Name:	15 lb done.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	45597 Click image for larger version

Name:	15 lb done moo.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	45601 Click image for larger version

Name:	15 lb birdseye.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	45602 Click image for larger version

Name:	15 lb flat backside.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	45600 Click image for larger version

Name:	15 lb flat bark.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	45607 Click image for larger version

Name:	15 lb round backside.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	45603 Click image for larger version

Name:	15 lb ring.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	45604 Click image for larger version

Name:	15 lb smoke ring.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	45608
                    Attached Files

Comment

Awesome result L&S, especially considering we had to draw out the cook so long. I'm glad it turned out well!

Comment

The tasty rewards from a long days cook are fun!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here