Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Grades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Grades

Not sure if this is the correct forum, so please forgive me. I'm an old guy and gonna retire in a year or two. In thinking of my retirement, I'll go crazy if I don't do something as I've worked 12 hr. days 5 1/2 - 6 days a week for 40 years. I've decided to get into the food truck business. Likely, I'm gonna do brisket, pastrami, corned beef, pulled pork, and smoked turkey legs as I haven't seen anyone doing this in my area. My question is that will the general public likely taste the difference between Select grade ( to make brisket, pastrami and corned beef) vs Certified Angus vs Prime (Costco sells this in my area)? I appreciate all comments and advice

They may not taste the difference, but it's usually a texture thing (Select is tougher, drier) and it'd likely be in your best interest to at least use Choice (Angus) if not Prime because your cook time will likely be shorter using the higher grades. So, balancing out the increased up front costs vs cook times and potential customer satisfaction would be something to weigh out. For Meathead's advice on such an endeavor, you may wish to read through this article if you haven't seen it before: https://amazingribs.com/barbecue-his...ering-business

I wish you the best! What a great transition!

Comment

• BourBonQ
      BourBonQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee would you mind checking that link? I'm interested in that article but having trouble loading it. TIA!

All I can add is, Aaron Franklin is so successful in no small part because of his dedication to procuring the highest grade meats he can get ahold of for his barbecue. Good luck!

Comment

In my area the Costco primes are cheaper than select or choice elsewhere.

Comment

In my area prime whole packer briskets are $2.99/lb. @ Costco, can't beat that.

Comment

Nothing will kill a restaurant faster than bad food. Don’t skimp.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            True dat

Of course you are all right. I'll listen to the great advice. Costco prime it is. Come to South Carolina for some of Meathead's Pastrami and corned beef from The OmegaDog's Food truck!

Comment

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            BBQBILL cooks brisket commercially and I’m sure would chime in. Also check out his posts on brisket on the KBQ has landed post. He has some excellent information there.

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            My daughter lives in Columbia, so where and when is your food truck operating?

• OmegaDog12
            OmegaDog12 commented
            Editing a comment
            LA Pork Butt - I Live in Orangeburg, about 30 mile southeast of Columbia. Haven't started the food truck yet -it's part of the retirement plan, but I promise to let you know when I get it started!

BourBonQ It works for me, here's a screencap when I just now clicked it. What happens when you click it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	cateringartcilelink.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	440655

Comment

• BourBonQ
            BourBonQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Working now, not sure what the problem was. Thanks for checking!

I'm assuming you have looked into all your state requirements for getting licensed as a catering business as well as insurance etc. States vary widely in what they require. In Minnesota it's a daunting process and if you are trying to do it using a wood fired smoker it's nearly impossible.

I'm jealous of all of you who have access to Costco's $2.99lb prime grade briskets.
          I've always wondered how Costco can sell prime grade brisket at $2.99 while SRF or Creekstone has to get $10 to $12 a lb?

Could it be Costco prime is not much different than the choice grade that I get around here?
          Last edited by Frozen Smoke; January 16, 2018, 03:41 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Costco's Prime really is Prime, it's good stuff. Hard to say what you get, but if it's got good marbling and cooks up good & juicy then you're good! SRF puts a lot into their whole process, likely more than other beef farmers, at least that's how they present it. I've never been overly impressed with SRF to be honest.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not really a fan of high dollar meat but I do buy Costco prime most of the time. Having said that; however, I'm sometimes disappointed in the packers they offer here locally. There's prime and then there's what I'll call Top Prime, if that makes sense. Sometimes Costco is not what I would consider Top Prime.

If you have a license you can shop Restaurant Depot instead, might be even cheaper.

Comment

A food truck sure sounds like a lotta work for a retirement project!!! Retirement for me means I can cook whatever I want, whenever I want, or not if I don't want! Have fun & good luck!!!

Comment

Do mucho research on the curing aspect of things. I had to do a label verification last Friday night/Saturday morning to make sure someone was NOT curing.

Comment

gotten to where I use CAB briskets 90% of the time. When near an HEB (vacation home in Gruene), prime.

Comment

I need to make another trip to Costco to restock my freezer.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                    Jerod Broussard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sure you can handle the road trip? I mean less than 6,000 hrs in a vehicle you might as well walk pulling a red wagon.

• DWCowles
                    DWCowles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh yeah...it’s only a 3 hr round trip to Nashville and back.

The great thing about being your own boss is flexibility. Don’t be afraid to change it up and do different things. You could buy meats from different vendors and let your customers rate them by voting with their taste buds. You could call it a "Taste Throwdown".

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here