Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri Tip Purchase/Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri Tip Purchase/Storage

I'm planning on buying about 6lbs of Tri Tip tomorrow from our local butcher and will be cooking it on Christmas day. I plan on getting the salt on them way in advance, but will it be ok to store in the fridge in zip locks until then? Should I salt them and put them in a vacuum sealer bag? I'd rather not freeze them but wanted to make sure they wouldn't spoil in the meantime. Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    David

Your looking at almost 2 weeks until Christmas. Unless your tri tip comes in the original cryovac bag from the processor, I would salt it & freeze it. IMHO: the "deleterious" effects of freezing meat is WAY overrated!!! The downside of spoiled meat, not so much!

Comment

• kmhfive
      kmhfive commented
      Editing a comment
      This!! Salt, vacuum seal, freeze. It’ll be amazing!

HorseDoctor, thanks for your input. I agree, the big issue is they won't be in cryovac, so getting the wet aged beef effect goes out the window. Probably better to be safe and not ruin Christmas for everyone.

Comment

All the premium meat that you pay high dollars for online comes frozen. I'd put them in freezer bags and freeze them till you're ready to salt them.

Comment

Does the package have a sell-by date on it? I go with the old "use up to 5 days past sell-by". Otherwise I freeze. My wife does not like that many days. For freezing - I salt and pepper on day one. On day two I rub. On day three I put in the Foodsaver bags and freeze. May times I smoke directly from frozen. Are they big tri-tips? I have found that the bigger the better for the freezing process.

Comment

That’s what I love about this site. Everyone has their preferences and tweeks to prepping and cooking.
          i’m Hoping for three, two pound tips. With that in mind, and referencing the above, I think the salt would do a better job on an unfrozen piece of meat, but I could be wrong. I’m thinking of salting for 24 hrs before freezing and then adding garlic powder and pepper once it defrosts then reverse searing. I like the idea of doing it all at once and freezing but I can’t help but think that I would lose some of the pepper and garlic pulling them out of their bags. I would just have to add more anyway, so why do it twice, I guess? Any other ingredients or rubs you like to add? Salt, pepper and garlic powder have always worked great and use hickory for smoke. Anyone else have a favorite rub, set of ingredients, and wood they like on tri tip?

Comment

• kmhfive
            kmhfive commented
            Editing a comment
            TriTip is so good I’ll skip the garlic sometimes. Other times I’ll add granulated onion, garlic, and some pepper flakes to kick it up a bit.

Are they trimmed? I ask because of the weights you mentioned. All good advice above. Docs and Tbob have you covered.

Comment

More or less, they are trimmed. Small amount of fat on one side, but not much. They weigh 2.9 and 3.3lbs and look great. Going to experiment with a hand ful of mesquite chips at the beginning and then stay with hickory chunks. I like the mesquite but know it can be a bit strong if you use it for too long. Just want to get a little on using the chips.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              Hickory chunks can also be a little strong used for a long cook. Burning hickory logs where they are reduced to hot coals, not so much.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here