Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short Story Long, Brisket, Bad Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Story Long, Brisket, Bad Start

Picked up a nice 18 lbs choice brisket Sunday. Trimmed it up Monday before work. Took the lion share of the flat and got that corning for some close to Katz's. Salted up the other half for a nice smoke. Dinner at mom tonight.

I decided to smoke with the WMS and the pellet adaptor. Easy deal. I can throw the FlameBoss on there to monitor temp and go on about my work day.

So last night I set the rub out. got my sheet pan handy. Went out to the cook area. Positioned the WMS. placed the umbrella. Their calling for rain. Checked the pellet hopper. Decided to leave it inside till morning. I went in the cook bag to check for my head light. Wasn't there. "ahh it will be fine., this is an easy deal" I said.

Alarm rings at 3a. I drag the pellet hopper out for a quick set up. The extension cord I use for the pellet rig was funky. Didn't want to stay in the outlet. " it's fine" I thought "this is an easy deal"

I lit the fire, added some water and back into rub some beef. "I'll be back in bed by 3:30. This is an easy deal"

Cooker was running good when I took the meat out. In the process of loading and probing the pit and meat I jostled that power cord and the pit stopped momentarily and then started. That's kinda new. Shouldn't have used that cord right, I was warned by the universe. In just a few min the pit was reaching the high 300°. Bummer shut it down. Try again. I put it in shutdown mode let it cool. Unpowered it. Crawled under it just to make sure the RTD probe didn't come loose from its connection at the controller. That happens sometimes when when you move this thing around. Sure wish I had my head light. Ugghhh. Disconnected the RTD reconnected it and powered it back up.

Bam it's climbing to the 400 ish again. Now what. Whats plan B. No plan B. That right this is an easy deal. Who needs plan B. Well me and now.

The closest thing to me thats not covered. A 22. Still set with the roto ring from last night. I drug it over to the light so I could clean it out. Man wish I had my headlight. Grabbed an SnS. Loaded that up and fired it off with a splash of the ever dreaded fighter fluid. Hey it was an emergency.

The meat is now on a kettle. I'm enjoying a nice cup o coffee before I start my day.

Short story long is I underestimated my cook. Thanks for reading

Enjoy the day!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1090.JPG Views:	1 Size:	307.5 KB ID:	390153Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1112.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.1 KB ID:	390154Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1110.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.8 KB ID:	390155Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1123.jpg Views:	1 Size:	47.2 KB ID:	390156Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1111.jpg Views:	1 Size:	52.1 KB ID:	390157
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; October 4, 2017, 06:30 AM.

Enjoy the coffee- and have an extra cup. It will help with the missed sleep. Brisket for dinner- should be a great day!

Comment

Crisis averted it seems... sorry I can't help with your troubleshooting. Coffee in the wee hours is SO NICE!! Especially with nothing butt the sounds of crickets.

Comment

Sorry to read of your troubles!

Oddly, I can't find my headlight, either. Guess we are going to have to stop looking for keys and asking if anyone has seen our headlights!

Hope you cook turns out splendiferously!

Comment

Dude! New gear can sure bring unwelcome surprises...and frustrations. Glad you were well prepared to Improvise, Adapt, Overcome!

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            So can old gear bro!

• PaulstheRibList
            PaulstheRibList commented
            Editing a comment
            Your are so right!

Jon, is that a WSM with a pellet box attached? Never seen that before.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes sir it is. That's a Smoke daddy adapter ring and a Camp Chef hopper the Powersmoke found a deal on a few years back. I picked up the Camp Chef just for theWMS Project. It is for the most part a solid rig. Well at least until today that is ; )

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            That is really cool!

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm glad Thunder77 asked about your rig, that IS cool. I want one. Let me get this straight, you robbed the working hopper from a Camp Chef and hooked it to the WSM with a Smoke Daddy adapter ring? So it just pumps smoke into the WSM versus having a charcoal fire, how very clever.

So, I recently came upon a couple used headlights if anyone wants some, be happy to sell Jon Solberg richinlbrg .....

Good read Jon, it's reassuring to know these problems don't only happen to me!

Edit: and from the looks of your EKG above, you may want to head to the ER

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Dude that strip looks like a dog's breakfast!

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Jon has to find his keys first! :-P

Great save (sorry about the lack of sleep)!

Comment

Persistence pays off.

Comment

SnS/Kettle combo to the rescue! I was thinking that you'll never get those 2 frustrating hours back, Jon Solberg but hey, Fall Back is coming in a few weeks, so at least you'll get one of them back.

Kathryn

Comment

Dang electronics! Old school saved the day.

Comment

Funny, I've never had this problem with sous vide.

;-)

Comment

Love the graphs. Especially with all the uppees and downees.

Comment

Good looking graph! So steady 😂

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                      Jon Solberg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It definitely illustrates my morning. @scotttranda

should of use your stickburner and you wouldn't had no problems

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here