Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket point... what to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket point... what to do

Was wandering through the supermarket near me and saw a brisket point for sale. This is rare by me, you can rarely find anything besides a flat. Naturally i bought it and am now considering what to do with this lovely, well marbled 2 1/2 lb point. Thinking either pastrami or burnt ends. Any one have suggestions?

If I go for burnt ends I'd surmise I'd smoke it whole first before cubing, saucing and smoking to finish. At what temp should I pull it before cubing? Go all the way to ~200 or something sooner?

thanks.

Burnt-Overalls

Comment

I'd go to about 170 (or, when the bark is solid) and then cube, sauce, and cook some more. Just try it. Seriously amazing.

Comment

I cooked a point this past weekend and served it sliced like a flat. It tasted great! Used salt and pepper with a little Montreal Steak rub for texture. Cooked at 225 for 7 hours (wrapped it in butcher paper when it hit stall at 160). Then turned up pellet smoker to 275 and put back on unwrapped to create a nice bark until it probed liked butter (about 2 more hours).

Comment

For a fun-looking cook, read what Jerod Broussard did with the point from a packer. He made burnt ends by first cubing the point before pretreating and smoking.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...risket-divided

Thats what he calls Burnt Overalls. They sure look delicious and have the advantage of bark on all 4 sides of each cube.

I'm planning on giving that a try as soon as I can.

Kathryn

Comment

Burnt ends!!!!! BBQ Gold

Comment

I second.. third... and fourth the burnt ends argument... cuz I am the decider.

Comment

There's only one correct answer to the "Burnt ends?" question: Yes please!

Comment

Don't get me wrong - burnt ends are great - but even a nicely smoked point sliced is incredible as well. It holds the juicyness longer than just flat and the layer of jelly like fat makes it hard to resist.
                  Lately I have been trimming my full packers to be roughly 50/50 flat and point/flat. I take a pretty good chunk of flat off and when I have a few, make pastrami from them.

BTW, is it all point or does it have part of the flat? The only time I got a point from my butcher - it was the combo - point over flat. I was at first disappointed. But after a little trimming and low and slow smoking I was damn glad he left the flat attached!

Comment

I buy both flats and point/flats at my local HEB Grocery. They cut them out of a full prime packer and trim them up to where you don't need to do much of anything to them. Problem is price, they run about $5.99/lb. I agree with JGrana, just smoke it like the full piece and enjoy sliced. Can't argue against burnt ends though. Does that make me wisey-washy?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here