Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A brisket divided...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A brisket divided...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170914_001504.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	379684Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170914_002601.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	379685Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170914_004516.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	379686 17+ pounder. Squared up the flat for a more even piece and ended up with 6 pounds. Nice Choice. ​​​​

Flat for pastrami....Blonder cure, approx. 72 hours.

Point for "burnt over- alls"and it gets cubed pre-cook after 72 hour dry brine, approximately.

All smoked Saturday night.

Awesome! Keep the pictures coming.

Comment

I'm curious to hear how the overalls turn out. I wonder if cubing pre cook drys them out. How long do you estimate you're going to cook them?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Anywhere between 1 and 12 hrs, I'm guessing. Not worried about dryness since BBQ sauce is an integral part of burnt over-alls.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Same question I was going to ask. Looking forward to results.

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        72 divided by twenty...four Waitaminute! We gotta wait til the weekend for these results?? Damnit! You are a tease, JRod. (Stolen from HouseHomey )

You are off to a good start Jerod.

Comment

SKILLZ!! "A brisket divided" ........ is making me hungry. It seems that the bark n crunch factor would happen faster without drying out if you keep an eye on them. But then again no one ever asked me for brisket advise. Duh!

Jrod do you you cook with a moist chamber? Or are you a dry kinda guy.

I cant wait for the pics.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Can't remember the last time I put water in my SnS reservoir. I may this time just to say I did.

How can you tell where to divide the brisket? I have one that I want to take apart also. I want to pastrami the flat, and do the point in the smoker.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Work from the sides first (1st pic) and that thick fat vein will reveal itself. I then go to the "top" where the two muscles meet and slowly start slicing into the fat separating them (2nd pic)

The progression of the nitrite is pretty groovey.

Name:	IMG_20170914_132022.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	379853

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Groovy indeed. I need a bumper sticker to freak out the SoCal Natives. "Yo ❤️ Nitrites"

Looking Good from here"

Comment

Little under 48 hours in. 24 hours to go until smoke time for pastrami. Maybe little later for the brisket burnt over-alls. Nitrite still progressing nicely. Rub went on nicely as it always does.

Can you guess which piece has nitrite??

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170916_000047.jpg Views:	1 Size:	110.0 KB ID:	380539Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170916_000108.jpg Views:	1 Size:	123.8 KB ID:	380540Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170916_001822.jpg Views:	1 Size:	184.2 KB ID:	380541Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170916_001952.jpg Views:	1 Size:	295.0 KB ID:	380542

Comment

Did you wet brine the flat?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              No, I used Dr. Blonder's cure recipe.

The pastrami is rollin' on a raised grate from the PBC in the 26. It barely fit on the grate.

The cubed point FILLED UP the indirect side of the 22 so I had to put 6-7 cubes in with the pastrami.

Seasoned with a mixture of Memphis Dust and Big Bad Beef Rub, at least it smelled like BBBR.

Name:	IMG_20170916_232742.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	381163

Comment

So Fun!!!

Comment

Ha! Damn, what's in this ziplock? Sniff sniff. Oh well, let's call it BBBR.

Comment

So the "Burnt Over-Alls" have been at 194 internal for like forever and are super probe tender, so they are wrapped up all together holding in a 180° oven for the next few hours. They will be sauced and caramelized before serving. I ran the smoker at 225 degrees and if I could do it over I would probably run around 275-ish. They still have a good crisp to them but I think a higher temperature with such a small piece with yield a better crunch.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170917_091446.jpg Views:	1 Size:	188.1 KB ID:	381247
                  Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 17, 2017, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Jerod Broussard How long did those burnt ends take at 225F?

K

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here