Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adjusting cook time for grass-fed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eugenek
    commented on 's reply
    Right on the prime, but flipped on the choice and wagyu.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I vote:

A) Wagyu
    B) Choice
    C) Prime

• eugenek
    replied
    Thanks, the wagyu was overcooked for sure… buuuuuut the others turned out great. I'll commit to the probe on my next cook! I took a few samples to my butcher to run the taste test with him and a couple employees. 2 out of the 3 guessed correctly. The competition was really between the choice and prime since they wagyu was kind of a dead giveaway. How about you guys—it's not a taste test, but maybe you can tell from the picture below?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0626.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	38005

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	38006

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Not disappointed at all my friend. The thing about following your gut is you're learn one way or the other, either my guesstimates (and others') are off and your way wins, or oops, try it our way next time. Really it's win win! That boneless Wagyu will be awesome either way I have a feeling.

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    Eugene, you are the only person in the world that has ever said that. NOT!! And you are among friends and most of us have been there.

Leave a comment:

• eugenek
    replied
    Haha, honestly I should probably stop talking because it's like that old saying… Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt!

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Ahhh Got it.

Leave a comment:

• eugenek
    replied
    Probably because I've got this recipe timed down so well, nothing else really. It certainly doesn't work out for others like the tri-tip or beef shank that I've overcooked. Maybe short ribs are just a really forgiving cut that I've gotten lucky with them. I would like to get into the habit of using a probe, though.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    eugen, I got to ask. How can you cook meat without knowing its temp?

Leave a comment:

• eugenek
    replied
    Update: Huskee, you'll be disappointed to know that I decided to cook them later instead of inserting a probe. There were two separate pieces and each was fairly thin. Instead of 5 hours, I put these in for the last 2 and now they're in the foil. Shame on me for not listening but I decided to follow my intuition, for better or worse. Will share the results later.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Good color. Yes, the ones here are individual ribs. One day I will get a high grade rack to hang in the PBC. I've done back ribs a few times. They OK....I really need to go longer when I wrap them.

Leave a comment:

• eugenek
    replied
    Ah yeah… Here's a pic from from my very first attempt. This wasn't a slab but separate ribs that were like 5" in length. I don't do that sauce on them anymore, either. It was terribly fatty and really uneven. Lots of flavor from what I remember, but you had to pick the meat out.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Oh I would like 'em. It's just the ones they have in the stores here are bottom of the barrel Select grade. Better off braising them things for about 5-6 hours.

Leave a comment:

• eugenek
    replied
    Haha ouch, different strokes for different folks, I guess. It's what turned me on to smoking. Is it the taste or the perception of it being a junk cut to barbecuers? I wish I could serve you up a plate!

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    No clue other than supply and demand. Short ribs out here are not much better than a pile of crap.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here