Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Kind of Beef Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W.A.
    commented on 's reply
    How do I get this vortex?

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by The Burn View Post
    Costco has had boneless chuck short ribs, but something doesn't sound right about that. And for $8.99/lb, they've got better options.
    Chuck ribs are just the chuck, or front shoulder, version of the back ribs (spare ribs) which come from the next section back, the rib. The short ribs come from the lower end of the rib section, called the plate...if I have my ducks in a row. The "boneless" part, assuming there's no dishonesty, would be a convenience, but the prep would be different than backs/spare ribs or short ribs with bones. But...yeah...at $8.99/lb, like Pit Boss and I have discussed, you're better off going for a nice steak for that kind of gold.

Leave a comment:

• The Burn
    replied
    Glad they did. I have been on the look out for some beef ribs after various posts & photos, but I never see it. The beef sections at the grocery stores have been downright depressing - overpriced and/or poor selection. Costco has had boneless chuck short ribs, but something doesn't sound right about that. And for $8.99/lb, they've got better options.

Meanwhile, it's 203 without a crutch for these boys.

Just realized these will fit nicely in the Kettle with the Vortex and I can do a mess of wings on the other 3/4 of the circle. 225 is low for them, but I'll crisp 'em up over the direct center.
    Last edited by The Burn; December 4, 2014, 11:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    replied
    Back ribs. They probably forgot to rip off all the meat like they normally do.

Leave a comment:

• Strat50
    replied
    I have a large rack of these in my freezer waiting for the right time. Thanks Huskee for helping to find a non braising way to cook these. We do a lot of braising at the restaurant, and I'm currently sick of braised beef! lol
    I buy these from a local prison-operated vendor using their own animals. Good stuff. Good luck The Burn, and please let us know how things went.

Leave a comment:

• mtford72
    replied
    Im with Huskee - I think you've stumbld on the mythical meaty back rib! The holy grail of all beef ribs. Good luck, the responsibility to do them right is enormous!

Leave a comment:

• The Burn
    replied
    Thanks Huskee! I'll give 'em a shot tomorrow - probably for an appetizer since the cook time is an unknown.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Those look like a slightly different cut of back ribs / spare ribs. Unlike pork, back and spares are the same when talking about beef ribs. Like W.A says short ribs have almost square chunks of meat, much wider and shorter. Cook these the same, but they may be done a pinch quicker.

On Meathead's short ribs recipe page he discusses doing spares at the bottom (last subheading) of the article. I've done them a few times, if you do it right they are amazingly delicious. Use a temp probe, don't treat them like pork ribs, treat them more like brisket.

Leave a comment:

• W.A.
    replied
    They dont look like short ribs , but they seem meatier than those beef ribs you get at walmart. Short ribs usually have a large chunk of meat, like several inches, on top of the bone.

Leave a comment:

• The Burn
    started a topic What Kind of Beef Ribs?

What Kind of Beef Ribs?

I have never purchased nor cooked beef ribs, but saw these at the store (when I was hungry). They were just labeled "Beef Ribs for BBQ." They were Choice. 1.2 lbs and $3.99/lb (if that helps). Are these short or back ribs?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here