Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Kind of Beef Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eugenek
    replied
    Those are some chunky beef back ribs!

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Those look incredible! The backs I've done were very good too. I really enjoy beef ribs A LOT.

• The Burn
    replied
    They were good. I preferred the flavor of the beef back ribs, though they weren't as meaty. They did get a full day's dry brine and then an hour or so of BBBR, while the short ribs only got the hour or so of BBBR and salt. The chuck short ribs, not surprisingly, tasted a lot like the pulled beef I did from chuck roast a few weeks back.

Leave a comment:

• The Burn
    commented on 's reply
    PB - I haven't tried it. I looked at the ingredients and was thrown off by the activated charcoal and didn't like the corn syrup solids either. It's been a long time since I've smelled chewing tobacco, but this did have a different smell to it.

• Huskee
    replied
    More beef ribs! Yay!

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    They look like world record back ribs.

• W.A.
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks!

• W.A.
    commented on 's reply
    Nope. My local butcher here in upstate NY. Had to buy the whole thing though, like 19lbs. Every once in a while I find a deal sitting in their fridge along with choice cuts. I look for the red labeling.

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    Have you tried the rub? I have not. It's a bit... erm... weird. It smells like a can of Kodiak chewing tobacco.

• The Burn
    commented on 's reply
    The website is www.vortexbbq.com, they've got a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/vortexchimney) and I bought mine from www.owensbbq.com because they carry all 3 sizes and were slightly cheaper on shipping. They processed the order quickly, sent it priority mail and included a container of their rub with it.

• The Burn
    replied
    Went to a Shop-Rite that I passed by this morning, for the first time, and they've got a much better selection of meat than any of the other big chain grocery stores around here. Picked up some chuck short ribs - that look much more like short ribs and I'm going to do those with the back ribs (instead of also doing chicken). A report and photos later tonight.

Thanks all for the help.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    TB those are back ribs that used to be attached to a prime rib roast. If you look at Meathead's Prime Rib recipe he goes into detail on how to smoke them. I recommend you don't crutch them unless you want ribs that taste like pot roast.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah that's a good price. Sounds like Costco to me!

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Man, you and Pit Boss....I need to live where you do. That's a great price for any Prime cut. Although I can get back ribs for $6/lb which I guess isn't terrible for beef. I'd sure love a prime rib though.

• W.A.
    commented on 's reply
    Just got a whole USDA prime boneless prime rib for $9/lb.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here