Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami with flank steak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami with flank steak?

Hello everyone!

I read on the Close to Katz recipe some people use flank steak as the meat. I want to buy some flank steak (vacio down here), tonight, turn it into corned beef by curing, and be ready to serve at dinner on Wednesday. I think it would work as it is a fairly thin cut so it shouldn't take too long in the smoker.

According to the curing calculator, the curing time should be 1.3 days. It seems like very little. Has anyone ever tried making corned beef and then pastrami with flank?

Thanks,
    Gijs

Sorry, I haven't. Seems a cool idea, but aren't you a bit short of fat on that cut?

Comment

I prefer the flat so less fat equals big win in my book.

​

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Fair enough. I prefer the other side!

• gijsveltman
        gijsveltman commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm more of a fat man myself, but since I want to do this by Wednesday night, I thought of a thinner cut. We'll see how it goes!

Sorry, I can't help. I do, however, look forward to your write up and pictures

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here