Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little help for this beautiful tenderloin please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little help for this beautiful tenderloin please

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	354866

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	354867

Name:	image3.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	354868
    I picked this up up at Lowes Foods for a steal, I think I saved more than I spent or nearly so. Having all the tools ( I believe ) now to cook this properly, I want to make sure I do so. Any suggestions on techniques or recipes would be greatly appreciated. Thus far this is where I am at:

The Sous Vide recipes I have seen call for coating the tenderloin with EVO and S&P (or adding a sprig of thyme and black truffle oil), then cooking at 130F/54C for one hour. After that pat dry, re-season and put it on the Weber. I will likely skip the salt as I intend to start the dry brine tonight.
    I have seen Breadhead's post where he served this with a Bearnaise sauce. I also saw kmhfive's post where he let it bathe in the HTTM for 2.5 hours and thought it should have been longer.

If I make a Béarnaise sauce I will probably use this Serious Eats recipe.

Ingredients
    1/4 cup white wine vinegar
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    3 sprigs tarragon, leaves finely minced, stems reserved separately
    3 sprigs chervil, leaves finely minced, stems reserved separately (optional; if not using add an extra sprig of tarragon)
    1 small shallot, roughly chopped
    1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
    2 egg yolks
    Kosher salt
    1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter
    Directions
    1. Combine vinegar, wine, herb stems, shallots, and black peppercorns in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and lower heat to maintain a gently simmer. Cook until reduced to about 1 1/2 tablespoons of liquid, about 15 minutes. Carefully strain liquid through a fine mesh strainer into a small bowl, pressing on the solids with the back of a spoon to extract as much liquid as possible.
    2. Combine vinegar reduction, egg yolk, and a pinch of salt in the bottom of a cup that barely fits the head of an immersion blender. Melt butter in a small saucepan over high heat, swirling constantly, until foaming subsides. Transfer butter to a 1-cup liquid measuring cup.
    3. Place head of immersion blender into the bottom of the cup and turn it on. With the blender constantly running, slowly pour hot butter into cup. It should emulsify with the egg yolk and vinegar reduction. Continue pouring until all butter is added. Sauce should be thick and creamy. If it is thin and runny, transfer to a large bowl set over a pot of barely simmering water. Whisk constantly and vigorously until sauce is thickened. Season to taste with salt. Whisk in chopped tarragon and chervil. Serve immediately, or transfer to a small lidded pot and keep in a warm place for up to 1 hour before serving. Béarnaise cannot be cooled and reheated.

I'd be sorely tempted to cut that beauty into thick steaks and reverse sear using a cold great a la ABCBBQ's video. That would produce a lot more flavorful browned surface area.

Comment

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      I was considering that as well, makes it easier to please the medium/medium-well peeps in the house.

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      martybartram, tell the med/med well peeps to eat elsewhere. That beautiful piece of meat should be med rare max! ...in my humble opinion

The grass fed likely has even less marbling than tenderloin usually does. If you cook it whole, I might inject some butter. If you cut into steaks, bacon wrap is great.

Comment

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      Kerry Gold to the rescue!

martybartram , I used the Bearnaise recipe that you have listed. It was relatively easy to get a wonderful sauce. As for SV, here's what I learned: temperature of the water bath is doneness -- I'd use 131F to be as rare as possible without a high risk of bacteria multiplication. Time is tenderness, but will extract moisture. So, with grass-fed possibly having even less interstitial fat, maybe not a long bath.

What I would do: SV for 2 hours, then ice-bath and refrigerate. Apparently, this can add tenderness without removing moisture. Then heat it as a reverse sear prior to serving.

Comment

I reverse seared a chateaubriand using a modification of Cooks Illustrated recommendations. Turned out amazing.

Here's the link to that topic:

Kathryn

Comment

Trimming a beef tenderloin... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EuF0XzR3iRE

You actually have a choice of trimming all of the side pieces off and cooking just the center cut that gives you a true chateaubriand, or you can just trim off the fat and silver skin and tie your meat together with butchers twine. You can tuck the skinny tail under to make that skinny section the same thickness as the other end, or you can trim it off and save it for shisk kabobs.

I'm not one to criticize someone's recipe until I've cooked it. However that bernaise recipe has a LOT more butter per egg yoke than I use when I make bernaise sauce. I use 2 ounces of butter for every egg yoke I use. 4 egg yoke + 8 ounces of butter, or 1 stick. That gives me the proper thickness in my sauce. Not too running and not to thick. Plus I make my sauce in a double boiler with a whisk.

Sous Viding a Chateaubriand... 👍 On the dry brine. I don't put any oil in the bag. Sprigs of various spices, yes. time in hot tub? Minimum 2 hours. Maximum about 4 hours. That cut of meat is already very tender and you don't want to make it mushy.

Chateaubriand reversed seared...👍 If I have lots of time and not lots of company I will probably reverse sear it. However if I'm feeling lazy... in the hot tub it goes. Both methods come out fantastic.👅

Have fun with your cook.👏👏👏. Pictures required.🤗

This is is a good video by one of my favorite online Chef's about how to make bernaise sauce... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9VxgatSjVQE
        Last edited by Breadhead; July 31, 2017, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• Karon Adams
          Karon Adams commented
          Editing a comment
          one stick is 4oz int he US

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Karon Adams ... you are correct.👍 A senior moment maybe by me.🙈 I meant tablespoons. Those 4 ounces are marked in 8 tablespoon portions to help home cooks. I use 2 tablespoons of butter for each egg yolk. 4 yokes + 8 tablespoon of butter = 1 stick of butter. Thx!
          Last edited by Breadhead; July 31, 2017, 02:32 PM.

• Karon Adams
          Karon Adams commented
          Editing a comment
          good. wasn't certain. I think they are 8 ounces in Britain, not certain.

The sauce is preference. You need to find your sweet spot. An egg yolk can hold 8oz of fat/oil per yolk but that's getting in mayo territory. I would make your clarified butter ahead of time. 1lbs of butter will yield approx 12 oz of clarified butter., the sauce is far easier than the recipe looks.

Don't be intimidated.

make your clarified butter Ahead and give it a dry run so you know what you like, lemon... more vinegar...white pepper...an herb mix etc... wort case is you over reduce the mix. Big deal make it a again it takes two seconds to reduce to "Au sec" almost dry.

you won't be disappointed once you find "your" sweet spot on how you like sauce. It really is fantastic. Me... I like the acid and herb.

As for the tenderloin I would trim it myself. Pull of the side chain and silverskin.you end up with far less but like Breadhead said they are wonder treats on skewers, quick stir frys, rice bowl or tacos. Very, very yummy. I only have done one in a few years but have fabricated a boatload otherwise.

it will be dicious no matter what you do. Unless you burn it. No pressure, don't burn it.😀

Comment

Sear with beef love if you have it!

Comment

Great feedback guys and the ever lovely and intelligent fzxdoc I think i got this. Its a great cut of meat, nothing special required. Just treat it right. Its the less choice cuts of meat that take more work lol. Intimidated by food? HouseHomey I forgive you because you have never seen me at the buffet line

Comment

Me, I'd get an Umai bag and dry age it for 5 days, then follow @fzxdoc's recommendation after very, very slight trimming - if it's even needed. But it sounds like you have a closer target cook date.

Then again, there's the Wellington approach!

Comment

Originally posted by martybartram View Post
                Great feedback guys and the ever lovely and intelligent fzxdoc I think i got this. Its a great cut of meat, nothing special required. Just treat it right. Its the less choice cuts of meat that take more work lol. Intimidated by food? HouseHomey I forgive you because you have never seen me at the buffet line
                Hmmm... because beef tenderloin contain very, very little fat it is actually one of the least flavorful cuts of meat in the cow. It's the most tender cut of meat, but tender is a feel, not a taste. All high end Steakhouses offer a few different sauce choices to serve with Filet Mignon because it needs something to enhance the flavor of the meat. Bernaise being the most popular. Ribeye and New York steaks have much more fat/marbling in the meat. Fat is flavor so most people don't usually want a sauce on those cuts of meat.

Comment

• martybartram
                  martybartram commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was referring to treating the meat, no marinading, no tenderizing, no extensive trimming, etc.. This is a simple as cooking a ribeye. Sauce is easy and I intend on making it. Thanks again for all the feedback, but now I am obligated to consider EdF idea of beef wellington lol

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Karon Adams is your maestra for that one!

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Beef Wellington by Gordan Ramsey. This recipe adds a twist that will blow your mind.👍 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5uXIPhxL5XA

First, decide how many people you are going to feed at any given time. then divide the hunk'o'cow accordingly. LOTS of great ways to make this amazing. save every single drop of anything that comes out of that bag.

then, I would dry age as much as you plan to cook at any given time. that is some amazing stuff, just doing that.

then, there are LOTS of ways you can play with it. a nice little turn in the hot tub and straight up reverse sear for steak with a lovely pan sauce from the sear deglaze combined with the contents of the bag. you could make up some home made puff pastry which is SO easy you wouldn't believe it, and make Wellington. I LOVE Ransay's version because instead of crepes, he's using the lovely salty, gorgeous Parma Ham that brings so much to the party, and get those portabellas into a blow your mind duxelles with red wine, OH MAN!

or, you could spice up a salt dough and make a salt dough cave for your steak and bake it in that, let it rest, then crack it open and reverse sear. the thing I dislike about that one is the lack of dripping as that goes into the salt crust.

really, the number of treatments are endless. it all depends on how many people you're feeding and what your mood might be. whatever you do, don't eat it in a hurry. make certain when you eat that beauty, you do it with friends, family and time. good bread, good sides, great companions and a leisurely time to really enjoy the marvelous thing that the cow has made of grass. there are few finer gifts in this world.

Comment

• martybartram
                  martybartram commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you. I think half will be steaks tomorrow and the other half will keep dry brining and make wellington this weekend

• Karon Adams
                  Karon Adams commented
                  Editing a comment
                  if at ALL possible, make your own pastry the difference is trans formative! Use the Ramsay method with the ham wrap. make your duxelles with a sweet red wine. I use merlot. it will blow your mind!

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What she said!

Once again, thank you all for your wonderful suggestions and input.
                Yesterday I trimmed, tied, halved and began the dry brine.

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	356125This is the side for steaks

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	356128This is the side for wellington

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	356124Steak half salted

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	356123other side of the steak half

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	356122I put the wellington half in a vacuum sealable container and put it in the fridge until this weekend.

Then I took the steak half dusted it with pepper and rosemary and vacuum sealed it in a bag. This afternoon it went in to the HTTM for 3 hours at 130. I prefer 127 but split the difference with my wife. It worked out...
                When it was done in the HTTM, I had an hour before I needed to start the charcoal because, strangely, my wife and daughter got stuck in some stores...hmmm. Anyway so I kept it in the bag, gave it a quick ice bath to shock it and put it in the fridge. Later, when I received the text that they were on the way home, I lit the charcoal in the weber. I waited until the charcoal and grill grates were ready and the girls walked in the door before pulling the meat from the fridge and slicing it. Thick slices would be rarer cuts and thinner cuts cooked a little more.

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	356127
                Sliced and ready for a little more seasoning Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	356126
                Just a side view of the cuts. I sprinkled some Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria Steak Rub on, I had sprinkled it on the cutting board before putting the meat on it as well. and then it was out to the weber with a warning that I would be back in no more than six minutes and to get ready to eat.

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	356129
                Off the grill

Name:	IMG_0009.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	356132
                Looking soooo good.

Name:	IMG_0008.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	356130
                A little Kerry's Gold to top it off and a simple salad with 'maters from the garden.

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	356131Perfection.

Name:	IMG_0007.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	356133 Easily the most tender piece of meat I have had, including on a $80 plate at a steak house. It was truly perfect. My wife could not stop commenting how good the beef was, I just smiled and said thank you, knowing I now have a pass to buy more

Having trouble finding chestnuts for the wellington, any suggestions on alternatives if I strike out? and Karon Adams I took your advice and invited some close friends over for the wellington. Thank you all again.

Comment

• Karon Adams
                  Karon Adams commented
                  Editing a comment
                  skip em. you won't notice the loss. especially with plenty of porties. if you've never had wellington WITH chestnuts, you will still love it without.

Beautiful Stuff, Brother!!!

Comment

Amazing!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here