Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short ribs - pre-cut into cubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short ribs - pre-cut into cubes?

Hi everyone!

I've been so excited all week because the wife and I are planning on doing low and slow short ribs for the first time ever this Saturday. But wouldn't ya know, we opened up the vacuum-sealed pack to find them... Cut into cubes. See the picture.

I went ahead and dry brined them (added big bad beef rub too), but I have to say, I'm taken aback and a bit disappointed that I didn't get what I thought I did.

Has anyone ever seen short ribs cut this way? Any advice on how to modify the cook?

Thanks!
    ​​​​
    Attached Files

That looks like an opportunity for more bark to me. I'd put rub on all sides to get more bark. Since they are on the small side, I would go light on the rub on the remaining sides.

Comment

Rub a dub dub. Likelynyou will have less yield but they should be fantastic. Don't change a thing, maybe less rub or smoke.

Comment

Yeah, they could turn out to be a nice surprise!

Comment

I've done both full length and precut. Prefer the long ones at least for presentation sake. Taste will be great on yours though. As stated, you'll get more bark. Be a little conservative with the rub though. With all that surface area you could overpower the taste of the beef and that would be a shame. Enjoy!!!

Comment

Wow. Those are going to be really good. I would cook them like you normally would cook short ribs.

I know Pit Boss took some of these and made pastrami out of them. They looked crazy good. Check this thread out.

Comment

That's how I get them, assuming they're still on the bone. I cook them low & slow till they hit over 200.

Comment

I have no input at all, but wait with much anticipation for the outcome.

Comment

You should be fine with Low & Slow 225. What time is dinner?

Comment

amr5152, what is the verdict? We await with muchos anticipation. There I go with my Spanish lingo again.

Comment

Sorry to keep everyone waiting

Verdict is... They're on the kamado smoking with 3 fist-sized chunks of apple wood!

I started them at 10:30am ET, so we're about an hour and a half in. I've got a meat probe in one of the thicker ones, and we're already in the 150's. But, the temp increases are definitely starting to slow down. I'm really not sure what to expect in terms of timing.

They smell amazing. I'm seriously excited about these, and as long as I don't somehow royally screw them up, I'll be posting some pics!

Comment

You might want to put your probe in the smallest one. That way you can remove the piece that's done and move the probe to the next biggest one. Just keep doing that until they are all ready.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
                          You might want to put your probe in the smallest one. That way you can remove the piece that's done and move the probe to the next biggest one. Just keep doing that until they are all ready.
                          That's a good point. I think my concern would be that with the smaller ones, I might get an inaccurate reading due to the probe being closer to the bone. Any thoughts on that?

Comment

The bone will act as a heat shield, so the meat closer to the bone will cook slower - I think. I've not done short ribs, so I will defer to those who have.

Comment

As with brisket, the important thing is "probe tender" not necessarily the final temp. When the temp reaches 190-195, start checking for resistance (or lack of same) to the probe and pay less attention to actual temp. Good luck & enjoy!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here